Sign in to follow this  
curayjusdad

OW vs. Superstition Mt.

A call to all you experienced desert family ride organizers coolio.gif.

I am taking my son (12) out to ride this week with his buddy (11). My son has only ridden a couple of times and only once with his CRF80. His buddy has never ridden. I have scrounged up a TTR-90 for the buddy to ride. We are headed out to camp, ride and hike. I'd like somewhere with an open space that isn't too sandy to get them both comfortable. Then I will be taking them on some short trail rides, preferably without too much sand. I took my son out to OW in November and the sand gave him a hard time, especially with getting the clutch/shift thing goingblink.gif.

I have never been to Superstition and only out to OW 3 or 4 times.

Any advice is welcome.

Rob..

P.S. If anyone is wants to join, let me know.

Superstion has lots of sand in certain areas, even dunes.

Take the kids away from the crowds about 3 miles east of Blu Inn to pole line road and hang a left and go in about 1 mile. Thats Ocatillo Wells.

Have you considered Coral Canyon?

No real sand and the ring read is easy but get gradually more difficult (starts as a 1 of 10 and might get to a 2.5 out of 10 - Two wheel drive cars can do it) If they are confident you can climb/decend one of the ATV trails.

Otherwise Schwinn has the spot in OW to take them.

since you live in scripps ranch, its probably a shorter drive to OW. But superstition has a giant dry lake bed that is perfect for beginners too.

here is a link to get to the lake bed. Take wheeler road off of huff if you go to superstition. Don't take imler road.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=32.930030,+-115.818558&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.368578,79.804688&ie=UTF8&ll=32.916341,-115.793152&spn=0.075366,0.155869&t=h&z=13

Corral Canyon is not a good place for beginners, except for the kid's training area, which is small.

I like Superstition for all around riding. Hard pack, lake bed, "kids area" with small mounds, mud hill trails.....to small dunes.

As you're going in on Wheeler off of Huff, pass the shooting ranges and a few miles in from the official Superstition OHV sign, look left. There's a road that leads off to the left, flat area and small mounds. Great kid area. SS seems more family friendly while on rides, too.

I always take my new riders out to Superstition, the dry lake bed off Wheeler Rd around mile 3 or 4. It's nice level ground and rarely crowded.

I always take my new riders out to Superstition, the dry lake bed off Wheeler Rd around mile 3 or 4. It's nice level ground and rarely crowded.

Can't speak for the weekend, but it was EMPTY today.

OBTW, if you are out there on M, Tu, W or F 0830-0930 or 1230-1330, you will get a nice little private air show by some blue airplanes on the NE side of Sups.

Thanks all for the advice.

Schwinn, I've been out to Pole Line Rd. once and that is where I was thinking to go, if we chose OW.

Sounds like it will be Superstition Mt this weekend, unless I get a late start on Friday.

Wish me luck packing tomorrow night. I haven't camped or ridden since November after breaking my arm. Got the OK from the Dr. on Monday to start riding againdance2.gif. I will be running around like a chicken with head cut-off tomorrow evening after work.wacko.gif

Ok...I just realized that we will be tent camping. Not sure of the trees/bushes around Superstition Mt., so OW it is unsure.gif. At least there are pit toilets scattered around. I'll be heading to Pole Line Rd. in the morning. I was looking forward to Superstition and I'm a little bummed. I guess I need to speak to the better half about getting a toy haulerhappy.gif.

Thanks for all the input....