Uncle Champ

Air filter trick

This afternoon I was oiling a new filter for the X. I actully read the directions and it says to soak and squeeze out the excess oil; duh in 35 years of riding I have done this once or twice. The light went on as I was looking at my bench thinking what pan am I going to use etc., there was the the big ziplock bag the filter came in hmmmm, I put the filter back in the bag, poured in oil squeezed and work the filter up out of the puddle and perfection with no mess. I then set the bag aside with the extra oil to use again.

Maybe this is an old trick but I felt pretty smart.

OK that's my three cents- inflation you know.

It IS an old trick- I've never done it any other way.

But you do get credit for figuring it out yourself instead of reading about it on the internet like the rest of us.

PS any bag will do, I've used supermarket bags.

Note another way- Now I just use the spray-on Maxima oil (with "rubber" gloves) then massage all the oil throughout to get an even blue color.

I poke little holes in the foil seal on the filter oil bottle till it looks like a salt shaker and then squeeze just the right amount out onto the filter. I'm using latex gloves to handle the filter anyway.

After you put the cage in the filter, put the bolt through, put it back into the bag and squeeze it past the frame and into the airbox, pull the bag part way off, get it lined up and start the bolt, then pull the bag the rest of the way off and double check your alignment and finish tightening the bolt. This will keep your filter from getting dirty from your airbox and keep oil off the frame on the way in.

I used to grease the contact area of my filter to insure that dust doesn't get past the seal. I no longer put the grease on the filter, because it is so messy to handle and some always gets scraped off on the way in. I now grease the seal on the airbox, same results, less mess.

I no longer put the grease on the filter, because it is so messy to handle and some always gets scraped off on the way in. I now grease the seal on the airbox, same results, less mess.

Me too. :good:

I no longer put the grease on the filter, because it is so messy to handle and some always gets scraped off on the way in. I now grease the seal on the airbox, same results, less mess.

Me too. :good:

me 3.. never thought to use the bag to get the filter in to the airbox; that's slick

On the DRZ it fits easily, but I always made a mess on the WR

Good tip, I always used to have a bag in garage specifically for this, now I prefer the spray on oil, and for sealing on airbox instead of grease I use proseal which seems to work well without the mess.