Sign in to follow this  
Spaugh

jackrabbits h&h jan 9th 2011

Anyone interested in going and checking this out? Have any of you guys\gals ever ridden at spangler hills before? Any advice on which bike would be better a 200 or 300 for this area? From the pictures it doesn't look really rocky, just big long hill climbs?

We could take my toyhauler with 3 beds and split the cost of fuel. We could drive up Sat morning, get a feel for the terrain and do the bomb run, and come home after the race on Sunday.

I wouldn't be opposed to driving up and prerunning their course sat and spectating sunday either if someone wants to ride+hang out and not race. This option would probably leave more room for having a few beers and a campfire sat night.

2011jackrabbits.jpg

I would totally be in for this Brad. Only problem is I will be headed up to Alaska on the 6th. Maybe there will be one when I get back.

I would totally be in for this Brad. Only problem is I will be headed up to Alaska on the 6th. Maybe there will be one when I get back.

Damn Josh! Going back to work already? Good luck in the great white north.

Awesome. I just got on the computer to see if you wanted to head up to that race. I don't think I'll be able to head up there until Sunday morning though. I'll try to find you when I get there.

Awesome. I just got on the computer to see if you wanted to head up to that race. I don't think I'll be able to head up there until Sunday morning though. I'll try to find you when I get there.

i gotta find a buddy to come up sat and camp if I'm gonna go. getting up early, driving to ridgecrest, racing and driving back in one day is too much for me.(i'm a wuss)

some guys from otb might come, i'll know in the next day or two and will let you know.

My boss rides red mountain area alot, I'll ask him about terrain and post it up this week....also, crawdaddy has a ride planned for ridgecrest area so maybe he knows more specifics....good luck in race...

jeff, otb guys are out, they are racing best in the desert parker 250 next weekend. They did this race last year and said it was a good one. jeff, lets go Saturday!

i found a video of 09 race, the terrain looks fantastic. the closest thing we have is inkopah\painted gorge.

someone come please! how about all you guys running trials tires, this is the reason you bought them! :lol:

Brad, I may be in for some Nat H&Hs this year, stay tuned. And maybe a tough enduro or 2

Brad, I may be in for some Nat H&Hs this year, stay tuned. And maybe a tough enduro or 2

do you have to buy a nat license? I will got check out AMA's site and maybe try and get some people to go do some CA nat H&H's. you get your own nat number or use pie plate numbers?

Back in the day I raced in this area a lot. D 37 has great high desert terrain with some big rocky hill climbs and descents. Do yourself a favor and run good or new tires. I ran a 250 smoker out there and it was OK, a 300 would be better. You're right about the area being similar to Painted Gorge or the Coyote Mtn area, lotsa rocks and whoops.

do you have to buy a nat license? I will got check out AMA's site and maybe try and get some people to go do some CA nat H&H's. you get your own nat number or use pie plate numbers?

If you are an AMA card holder you can sign up as a Nat points rider (for AMA Nats)that was how I always signed up in 09. If you belong to D37 or D38 and are collecting points there it can be an issue because they may restrict you to a class and restrict your loops to less then the Pro/A/B full course. They issued me onsite PP numbers each time I signed, so it was not a set of yearly numbers like the pros get, also I think some of the District numbers are maintained for the D/Nat points chasers. Brad check the 2011 rules for H&H it will all be explained in the book.I would suggest signing as a National "B" class rider if you can because then you get to do the whole course, the issue may be for the Nat in the D38 zone if you are a recorded D38 Novice they will restrict you to less than the full course (this happened to a friend who really wanted to do the entire superstition Nat course and could have done it). Again, it feels good to see your name on the AMA website in the Nat points standing (its fun!!). I have my AMA 2009 H&H 7th place OA National Sen B certificate proudly hanging in the garage (fun stuff as a lifelong fan to have a single digit AMA nat cert!!!)(even if it is for the old guy B class!!)

One thing is for sure when you finish a Nat H&H you really feel like you accomplished a real feat, those last loop sections were in all cases tough and took alot of mind over matter riding. At the 100s MC H&H final in 09 it really worked us and from a ZipTy racing pro's mouth directly the 10 version had the toughest section he has ever ridden, a boulder strewn ugly section worthy of extreme enduro, (tough stuff out there) but always doable for Bs, just not as fast as the As and pros do it.

did anyone go?? I just saw some Hcam loks like great dez conditions up there with dark moist under soil on the trail, even the bomb was mostly dust free