Ride-Orange

OC Dualies Pediatric Charity Ride

Carguy;

Thanks for the invite but it looks like I'm gonna ride with a bunch of guys I hooked up with last year on the Moonlight Madness run up in Big Bear. We had a blast. Your welcome to join us if you'd like. Looking forward to meetting you up there.

I really wanted to make this ride, but had to work out of town unexpectedly again and I'm flying home Friday night and won't get in until 9:00pm, then have some things to do to get ready for early Saturday morning.....getting there to ride and leave the shop by 7:00am sounds like I'm gonna be too rushed for comfort, so I think I will blow it off. :D:)

Maybe we can get a copy of the rollchart from one of you, and go do the ride with a few of us who couldn't make it, another weekend.

Y'all have fun !!

Maybe we can get a copy of the rollchart from one of you, and go do the ride with a few of us who couldn't make it, another weekend.

Great idea!

John & Steve-

Take notes and be ready to lead your jelous brothers in the future :) Maybe you can lead us on 7 hardway then...

Be careful and have a ball!

Great idea!

John & Steve-

Take notes and be ready to lead your jelous brothers in the future :D Maybe you can lead us on 7 hardway then...

A few final words:

Directions from the southland:

15N to Winchester (right) to Domenigoni Pkwy (right) to Sanderson (left)......Sanderson turns into Lamb Canyon Rd./79 and takes you through Hemet/Lambs canyon and over the 10 FWY.....the Beaumont Cycle shop is maybe a half mile(?) or so up on the right once you cross over the 10 FWY.....take a right turn at the corner just past the shop (9th St.?) and drive over to one of the the school parking lots......nice and flat for unloading/loading....

My advice :D - There's a fair amount of pavement :D on the easy ways due to trail closures .....so ride ALL of the Hardways to maximize your dirt time :D (they're not that tough :D ) except #7 (which IS pretty tough) for reasons previously stated in earlier posts (#7 Hardway - Allesandro/Hixon - will be backed up with a log jam of riders :D ).....unless you're way ahead on your time schedule or plan on blowing off lunch in Idyllwild (JoAnn's doesn't have the fastest service in town) and don't mind finishing at ~7pm.....one reason it took me so long to finish both times is because I kept stopping to check my mileage/GPS/annotate the roll chart (which hopefully isn't too far off the mark)......but trust me, it'll be a long day even if you blow off the #7 Hardway......save Allesandro/Hixon for when we make a "SDAR Trek" back up to the area at some point in the future and ride the best parts of the route (that was SDAR Trek NOT Star Trek :) ).

FYI - there's a McDonalds on your left as soon as you cross over the 10 fwy if you wanna make a quick coffee/bladder stop or grab some chow before you park/suit up/ride off. They'll probably have donuts at the sign-up too......

Check in at 6:30, be rolling by 7am, and have a blast!

Great idea!

John & Steve-

Take notes and be ready to lead your jelous brothers in the future :D Maybe you can lead us on 7 hardway then...

A few final words:

Directions from the southland:

15N to Winchester (right) to Domenigoni Pkwy (right) to Sanderson (left)......Sanderson turns into Lamb Canyon Rd./79 and takes you through Hemet/Lambs canyon and over the 10 FWY.....the Beaumont Cycle shop is maybe a half mile(?) or so up on the right once you cross over the 10 FWY.....take a right turn at the corner just past the shop (9th St.?) and drive over to one of the the school parking lots......nice and flat for unloading/loading....

My advice :D - There's a fair amount of pavement :D on the easy ways due to trail closures .....so ride ALL of the Hardways to maximize your dirt time :D (they're not that tough :D ) except #7 (which IS pretty tough) for reasons previously stated in earlier posts (#7 Hardway - Allesandro/Hixon - will be backed up with a log jam of riders :D ).....unless you're way ahead on your time schedule or plan on blowing off lunch in Idyllwild (JoAnn's doesn't have the fastest service in town) and don't mind finishing at ~7pm.....one reason it took me so long to finish both times is because I kept stopping to check my mileage/GPS/annotate the roll chart (which hopefully isn't too far off the mark)......but trust me, it'll be a long day even if you blow off the #7 Hardway......save Allesandro/Hixon for when we make a "SDAR Trek" back up to the area at some point in the future and ride the best parts of the route (that was SDAR Trek NOT Star Trek :) ).

FYI - there's a McDonalds on your left as soon as you cross over the 10 fwy if you wanna make a quick coffee/bladder stop or grab some chow before you park/suit up/ride off. They'll probably have donuts at the sign-up too......

Check in at 6:30, be rolling by 7am, and have a blast!

Is check in at the cycle shop, I never got the official paper work,cuz i inherited ride orange registration.

Thanks for the directions.

Is check in at the cycle shop, I never got the official paper work,cuz i inherited ride orange registration.

Thanks for the directions.

Yep, check in at the Beaumont Cycle shop to pick up roll chart/GPS/sign waiver....plow down a fat pill (donut)....and then head out.....

How is our roll call looking for this? I got my paperwork in the mail the other day, a late signup but they still got me in. I am bringing at least 3 others along with me, maybe 5.

Gonna have to get up early! How long does the trip up there take?

How is our roll call looking for this? I got my paperwork in the mail the other day, a late signup but they still got me in. I am bringing at least 3 others along with me, maybe 5.

Gonna have to get up early! How long does the trip up there take?

It's about an hour drive from Escondido (78 & 15 intersection) to the Beaumont Cycle shop

Great idea!

John & Steve-

Take notes and be ready to lead your jelous brothers in the future ;) Maybe you can lead us on 7 hardway then...

I have a copy of the roll chart and gps to anyone who want's it, thanks to Crawdaddy.(unless there were major changes)

I have a copy of the roll chart and gps to anyone who want's it, thanks to Crawdaddy.(unless there were major changes)

Use the "final" roll chart they'll give you in the morning....NOT my preliminary chart........I made a few significant clean-ups/edits......the GPS track is fine.....

Hammer Head, you're cracking me up ;) ...........you'd like hardways 7 (technical ;) ) & 10 (tight, twisty and fun "The :) ") on this ride if you can work a hall pass for the morning.....

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Use the "final" roll chart they'll give you in the morning....NOT my preliminary chart........I made a few significant clean-ups/edits......the GPS track is fine.....

Hammer Head, you're cracking me up :) ...........you'd like hardways 7 (technical ;) ) & 10 (tight, twisty and fun "The :D ") on this ride if you can work a hall pass for the morning.....

I got the pass for tomarrow but I cant ride MX. Sunday ;) We are looking forward to riding all the hard ways :D

Hammer Head, you're cracking me up ;) ...........you'd like hardways 7 (technical ;) ) & 10 (tight, twisty and fun "The :) ") on this ride if you can work a hall pass for the morning.....

I rode these trails about one month ago on My BMW. Bring lots of water, as it is rutted. With all the riders, there will be bottlenecks. A fun ride. Enjoy!

I figured this charity event is well deserverd of it's own press...

It would be cool to have a small group of SDAR going on this ride. I think we are alerady about 4 or so riders strong, so anybody else can chime-in as you see fit.

http://www.dualies.com/html/dualie_charity_ride.html

Well?.....how many SDAR folks wound up going? Did you guys get to meet and greet/ride together? Hope you enjoyed the route? (I know there was a lot of fire road and/or pavement in a couple of sections but that was because of trail closures due to fires). Hopefully you rode/enjoyed the hardways?......especially my favorite, Section 10, by Idyllwild. Anybody decide to go ahead and ride Allesandro/Hixon? If so, was it really bogged down with riders? How long did the route take you guys (with or without Allesandro/Hixon)?

Was really wishing I could've rode yesterday or been out on the newbie ride this morning but other family obligations take precedence......perhaps I'll be able to get out and ride next weekend.....I've never been up Palomar Divide from 371 or Lost Valley, etc. so that ride/loop sounds inviting.....

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Hi Crawdad, It was a great ride lots of fire roads, but some fun hard trails. most favorite was Hixon, what made it most fun was passing on that trail I passed 10 guys in 3.3 miles. Nice switch backs. I rode all the hard trails, and wished there were more and a little harder.We left at about 7.15 and finised at 4.00 but I rode with a group stopped for lunch got lost a couple of times(a lot of people complained about the roll charts ) and we stopped to tear down and repair some guys overheating (KTM) All in all it was a great ride. A easy day for me and my bullet proof XR 650L. :blink:

I made it, even though all but one of my firends bailed. It was a lot of fun, I'll be bringing my wife back for the easy stuff. We did all the hard splits, I think we hit Allesandro/Hixon at a good time because there weren't too many people ahead of us. We had to wait a couple times but it wasn't bad. A lot of bikes were overheating on that trail, my Yamaha was bubbling at the end and I was pretty hot too. I drained my camelback and felt a bit of heat exhaustion but I filled it up at Hemet.

We made it to lunch without issue, although there was a guy right before the end of section 10 that had dislocated his shoulder. They were setting it when we stopped and he sounded like he was in a lot pain. After lunch we hit section 11, that was the only part that I had an issue with the roll chart. It wasn't even close but luckily we had a group of Duallies come by who helped us out.

I ran into Schwinn at the first gas stop but we got split up around section 6 or 7. I ran into him again at lunch, I'll let him tell his story. Anyway, we'll be back for another one.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I made it, even though all but one of my firends bailed. It was a lot of fun, I'll be bringing my wife back for the easy stuff. We did all the hard splits, I think we hit Allesandro/Hixon at a good time because there weren't too many people ahead of us. We had to wait a couple times but it wasn't bad. A lot of bikes were overheating on that trail, my Yamaha was bubbling at the end and I was pretty hot too. I drained my camelback and felt a bit of heat exhaustion but I filled it up at Hemet.

We made it to lunch without issue, although there was a guy right before the end of section 10 that had dislocated his shoulder. They were setting it when we stopped and he sounded like he was in a lot pain. After lunch we hit section 11, that was the only part that I had an issue with the roll chart. It wasn't even close but luckily we had a group of Duallies come by who helped us out.

I ran into Schwinn at the first gas stop but we got split up around section 6 or 7. I ran into him again at lunch, I'll let him tell his story. Anyway, we'll be back for another one.

I was wondering if the bikes you heard were overheating were water cooled or air cooled and what brands. I had no over heating problems. but I kept a fast pace on that trail and didnt stop once. I wonder if air cooled bikes are beter for trails like that or a faster pace. Thanks Craig.

I was wondering if the bikes you heard were overheating were water cooled or air cooled and what brands. I had no over heating problems. but I kept a fast pace on that trail and didnt stop once. I wonder if air cooled bikes are beter for trails like that or a faster pace. Thanks Craig.

My bike was heating up a lot on this ride, it usually doesn't overheat. It was boiling at around 3/4 of the way through section 7. I wonder if it had to do with the altitude? My bike wasn't running as good as usual up there. My buddies KTM was blowing steam all the time too. Both of our bikes were boiling at the end of the tight singletrack part (section 10?) also.

I saw a lot of KTM's blowing steam, almost every one of them at the end of section 7. The only one I saw that wasn't had a radiator fan. Air cooled bikes definitely have the advantage there.

My bike was heating up a lot on this ride, it usually doesn't overheat. It was boiling at around 3/4 of the way through section 7. I wonder if it had to do with the altitude? My bike wasn't running as good as usual up there. My buddies KTM was blowing steam all the time too. Both of our bikes were boiling at the end of the tight singletrack part (section 10?) also.

I saw a lot of KTM's blowing steam, almost every one of them at the end of section 7. The only one I saw that wasn't had a radiator fan. Air cooled bikes definitely have the advantage there.

My YZ has the same problem.....no coolant recovery tanks on YZ's......at least your WR has a coolant recovery tank in the left rear side panel (right?) That's definitely an Orange bike short coming ;) .....no coolant recovery tanks/bottles......my 400 overheats after prolonged crawling through technical sections :blink: ......I'm sure the 520 will be no different, maybe even worse.......guess the only answer is to affix a coolant recovery bottle (homemade or something like the one in the link pasted in below) or dropping ~$100 on a radiator fan.....

Thumper Racing Coolant Recovery Tank

Guest Hammerin Hammon

My YZ has the same problem.....no coolant recovery tanks on YZ's......at least your WR has a coolant recovery tank in the left rear side panel (right?) That's definitely an Orange bike short coming :D .....no coolant recovery tanks/bottles......my 400 overheats after prolonged crawling through technical sections :blink: ......I'm sure the 520 will be no different, maybe even worse.......guess the only answer is to affix a coolant recovery bottle (homemade or something like the one in the link pasted in below) or dropping ~$100 on a radiator fan.....

Thumper Racing Coolant Recovery Tank

I think I would go with the fan. Your bike shouldnt get so hot the water boils out. I wasnt crawling on that trail I was wide open 1st and 2nd gear. the whole trail was a blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Rocks, ledges, switchbacks, stuck bikes,tree branches, sand, boulders,heart was pumping, heavy breathing,I wish that trail was longer, but only 3 miles. ;)

~$100 on a radiator fan.....

I'd look at a couple of old fans from a computer case, cheap wire from radio shack and some run of the mill zip ties. $20, no more boiling coolant.

I'm still working on an oil cooler for my XR. Got some ideas, we'll see which one looks best by mid summer when it really needs it.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

The benafit of being able to ride fast is you dunt need no stinking fans Bra. :blink:

Had a blast,I guess i owe RO 60 bucks now for his entry i took over,thanks.myself and hammer took off knowing we were going to hit every hard way possible.Nothing hard till section 7 hard way,this is the hero loop that crawdaddy warned us about.HOLY SH*#, it took 15 minutes for me and hammer to go 3.3 miles with no mishaps, we had to pass 10 guys in variuos stages of carnage, when i got to the top the ktm was steaming like a steam train so we hauled but to cool it down. 20 miles later the ktm blew a heater hose in the middle of a factory 90 bend.I wish i had got pictures of hammer holding ktm parts in his hands. :lol::lol: ,seat off,gas tank, both shrouds. Half a roll electrical tape around that radiator hose and we were off riding,Thanks for the help hammer,luv ya man,section 10 hardway single track was a waste of time, almost got my head ripped off by a tree branch and the ktm over heated in there too, all in all always a good time riding with people of same hobby interests.PS got the new radiator hose and fixed it at home,I had to ride it to the Hideout for work sunday due to a flat back tire on the harley :lol::lol::lol: .

Had a blast,I guess i owe RO 60 bucks now for his entry i took over,thanks.myself and hammer took off knowing we were going to hit every hard way possible.Nothing hard till section 7 hard way,this is the hero loop that crawdaddy warned us about.HOLY SH*#, it took 15 minutes for me and hammer to go 3.3 miles with no mishaps, we had to pass 10 guys in variuos stages of carnage, when i got to the top the ktm was steaming like a steam train so we hauled but to cool it down. 20 miles later the ktm blew a heater hose in the middle of a factory 90 bend.I wish i had got pictures of hammer holding ktm parts in his hands. :D:lol: ,seat off,gas tank, both shrouds. Half a roll electrical tape around that radiator hose and we were off riding,Thanks for the help hammer,luv ya man,section 10 hardway single track was a waste of time, almost got my head ripped off by a tree branch and the ktm over heated in there too, all in all always a good time riding with people of same hobby interests.PS got the new radiator hose and fixed it at home,I had to ride it to the Hideout for work sunday due to a flat back tire on the harley :lol::lol::lol: .

Good for you guys that you flew up the steps of Allesandro :lol:B) .....sounds like you two were men among boys in that section B):lol:B) .....it's a very challenging section for a rider of my skill level therefore I wouldn't have been able to make that sort of time which is why I cautioned everyone about log jams........You probably would've passed "11" riders in that area if I had been along B):DB)B)B) ......glad you guys were able to experience the whole enchilada B) .....

A bit surprised that you thought section 10 was a waste of time?!!? B) .....I really like that section .....probably because it's basically a mtn bike trail and mtn biking is another passion of mine.....also glad you had the tape with you for the radiator.......two things I ALWAYS bring on EVERY ride - Duct Tape and Zip Ties - never leave home without'em (regardless of what color bike you ride) B)

I will go on record by saying that allesandro steps was very difficult, iam lucky that i made it thru with only my bike overheated and myself. As for section 10 single track, i was tired and bike was starting to steam a little.

It took me a lot longer than 15 minutes to make it through Allesandro. I think I spent over 15 minutes waiting for people in front of me to clear some of the sections. If I had nobody in front of me it still would take a while. I stalled out a few times but didn't drop the bike so I am going to count it as a victory. I am going back to check it out again sometime, this time with more water for me and maybe a fan for the bike.