bikeslut

next week-12, 13, 14, 15th

anybody up for a ride? I was thinking about riding Corral Canyon again, this time from the Pine Valley exit, riding dirt all the way in... Tuesday is the preferred day... I heard there is a Tuesday flu going around, and people generally are fatigued but in good spirits the day after... cough... I think I am catching...cough...it

Monday is good, too...

Ride level... seriously, I would give this an moderately easy rating...

The first stretch of dirt is 2 wheel truck route doable... as you get to the saddle, the trail gets narrower, but not really any harder... Corral Canyon has mostly easy trails, too, depending on pace... I've only had to turn around once, and that was when it had recently rained, and I became part of a landslide... Not knowing what you are comparing it to, I would say it is marginally harder than Lark Canyon, and marginally harder than Boulder Creek road... The best part of it, when I take my kids along, is that it gets tougher as it progresses... So if one of them is having a bad day, at any point we can turn back. If we get up to the intersection with the road, and you think it has been easy... we keep riding up Kernan... if you felt challenged, we can bypass the trail, and take the paved road up to 4 corners... like that.

Monday is good, too...

I would say the Kiernan Cycle Trail as it heads down towards Corral from the main dirt road is not moderately easy.....I would rate that as at least Challenging......it's easy for a seasoned rider, but not for a novice.

Also, it definitely becomes a little challenging on a BIG bike.

Monday is good, too...

I would say the Kiernan Cycle Trail as it heads down towards Corral from the main dirt road is not moderately easy.....I would rate that as at least Challenging......it's easy for a seasoned rider, but not for a novice.

Also, it definitely becomes a little challenging on a BIG bike.

Big f-in OOPS! Did not see his bike... Kernan up from Pine Valley was OK on my Strom, the interior trails at Corral were not particularly fun...GregL... if you want to try it on my 200, or 400 let me know... i agree with Rad... your GS might be a handful, but i would still be glad to ride up Bear Valley with you...

Kernan up from Pine Valley was OK on my Strom

Just to clarify....Up from Pine Valley ?? Kiernan goes down from the main dirt road (believe it's Bear Valley) towards Corral from Pine Valley, or up from Corral towards Pine Valley.

Bikeslut, didn't know you had a V-Strom ? Kiernan was easy on your strom, even with all those rocks ? You must have a decent skidplate on it, eh ?

the interior trails at Corral were not particularly fun

I have ridden most of the interior trails at Corral, they all have a rating. The most difficult ones ARE definitely difficult, even on a regular dualsport bike. I think Bronco Peak is the toughest. Definitely not a trail for big bikes.

But as you said, many of the other trails are OK for an experienced rider on a big bike.

Bear Valley goes UP from Pine Valley to the "saddle" where Kernan starts... then it goes DOWN, then UP again where it meets Corral Canyon road, then UP again to 4 Corners. i misspoke.

Yeah; i have the DL1000 in the 2005 variety... mostly stock, except Tag bars with risers, MadStar guards (stoppie gone bad) and Emgo tail trunk... I did Kernan up til Corral Canyon road, took the road up to 4 corners and some interior trails, then took the road back down to Buckman, then 94 home. I have since replaced the rear Trailwing with a street tire, and will probably keep it that way...It has no business being on anything other than a fireroad in my pathetic hands...

Caveat... any, or all of my notes and trail/street names may be totally wrong... I have no skid plate, but is on my short list... I need to protect that oil cooler. I also hate the filter location and the fact that the pipe runs under the engine... I had to replace the pipe on my VTR Superhawk after I took that bike off-road... where it handles surprisingly well...

Bear Valley goes UP from Pine Valley to the "saddle" where Kernan starts... then it goes DOWN, then UP again where it meets Corral Canyon road, then UP again to 4 Corners. i misspoke.

Yeah; i have the DL1000 in the 2005 variety... mostly stock, except Tag bars with risers, MadStar guards (stoppie gone bad) and Emgo tail trunk... I did Kernan up til Corral Canyon road, took the road up to 4 corners and some interior trails, then took the road back down to Buckman, then 94 home. I have since replaced the rear Trailwing with a street tire, and will probably keep it that way...It has no business being on anything other than a fireroad in my pathetic hands...

Caveat... any, or all of my notes and trail/street names may be totally wrong... I have no skid plate, but is on my short list... I need to protect that oil cooler. I also hate the filter location and the fact that the pipe runs under the engine... I had to replace the pipe on my VTR Superhawk after I took that bike off-road... where it handles surprisingly well...

Here's a couple pics from Kernan.....one of my son along the trail and one of the trail itself....it stretchs ~15 miles from Pine Valley (Bear Valley) to Corral Canyon

Hmmmmm......I did take off the stock cans in favor of Wolf Racing pipes so my Superhawk only weighs ~400lbs now.....but yeah, that little plastic oil filter guard is useless against anything beyond a dirt clod.....then again, I've never taken THAT bike "Dual Sporting"....I've just ridden it "for sport"....you're an animal! :D

post-70-1173396142_thumb.jpg

post-70-1173396170_thumb.jpg

post-70-1173396456_thumb.jpg

Big f-in OOPS! Did not see his bike... Kernan up from Pine Valley was OK on my Strom, the interior trails at Corral were not particularly fun...GregL... if you want to try it on my 200, or 400 let me know... i agree with Rad... your GS might be a handful, but i would still be glad to ride up Bear Valley with you...

Appreciate the offer to try one of your bikes. I think I'll take you up on it. I would be willing to give it a shot on my GS, but I've also been thinking I need to get something smaller and lighter for the dirt. When and where do we meet? I'm coming from San Diego, near Santee.

Appreciate the offer to try one of your bikes. I think I'll take you up on it. I would be willing to give it a shot on my GS, but I've also been thinking I need to get something smaller and lighter for the dirt. When and where do we meet? I'm coming from San Diego, near Santee.

You can either meet at my house, or at the cul-de-sac at Pine Valley... say 9ish. I will truck it out to pine valley just to save knobbies. I'll PM my address if you want to meet here.

OK, just to verify....not sure if I can make it, we'll see.

What day and time is this ride, and where to meet ?

GregL, you live in Santee ? I live by Grossmont College off the 125. Keep that in mind for future rides, we can carpool if we truck the bikes out somewhere.

we are meeting THIS Monday, March 12, at my house in Alpine, then trucking up to Pine Valley (17 miles on the freeway) Leaving my house at 9 (gotta take the boys to school)

GregL is going to ride the TW200, and I'll ride my DRZ... if he starts feeling comfortable, we'll switch, and give that a try.

I can bring the trailer if you want to truck up there with us; otherwise, I am just stuffin em in the back of the truck...

and this in no way changes the Day after St Paddy's day ride; I'm still on for that one...

home computer is crashed; so... send me an E-mail if i shouldn't wait for either of you....It'll come to my Blackberry. Look forward to seeing anybody that's there.

You can either meet at my house, or at the cul-de-sac at Pine Valley... say 9ish. I will truck it out to pine valley just to save knobbies. I'll PM my address if you want to meet here.

Where is the 'cul-de-sac at Pine Valley' in Pine Valley?

Is that the exit from I-8 on the south side?

Thanks

Michael

Where is the 'cul-de-sac at Pine Valley' in Pine Valley?

Is that the exit from I-8 on the south side?

Yes it is.

Ironically I did take a sick day today. I hadnt checked the forums for a while though so I had no idea you guys were going out today. Probably better that I didnt know though because Im coughing heavily as I type :D and Im not smart enough to stay at home and get better.

Ironically I did take a sick day today. I hadnt checked the forums for a while though so I had no idea you guys were going out today. Probably better that I didnt know though because Im coughing heavily as I type :unsure: and Im not smart enough to stay at home and get better.

Staying home, breathing your own sick germs over and over again... THAT'S no way to get better! You need to go sweat it out! and breathe mountain air... and drink from mountain streams! and eat healthy trail mix and beef jerkey!

Oh... except sweating it out pulling a bike back on the trail, sucking dust when you ride sweep, getting giardia from drinking unfiltered water... maybe staying home wasn't that bad an idea.

It would've been nice to have you along, though Tom