Zenosan

Computer help

I have a WD Passport portable hard drive which had been working fine. All of a sudden none of my computers will recognize it. Light come on and appears to be running but the computers don't recognize it. Anyone suggest a file recovery program?

I have a WD Passport portable hard drive which had been working fine. All of a sudden none of my computers will recognize it. Light come on and appears to be running but the computers don't recognize it. Anyone suggest a file recovery program?

Have the same problem with the same make/model.... Luckily, mine was partitioned and I only use mine as a backup for my computers... Prob a bad sector... For me, there is no real "fix" for this except for target practice at the shooting range... There might be a geekier person here that might have a couple tricks, but honestly, it probably doesn't look good w/o sending it off to some specialized lab that'll charge your $600+ to recover your data... Good luck with it...

Have the same problem with the same make/model.... Luckily, mine was partitioned and I only use mine as a backup for my computers... Prob a bad sector... For me, there is no real "fix" for this except for target practice at the shooting range... There might be a geekier person here that might have a couple tricks, but honestly, it probably doesn't look good w/o sending it off to some specialized lab that'll charge your $600+ to recover your data... Good luck with it...

Went on line and we seem to have a lot of company with this problem. But I use several of these things back and forth between four computers. I have some important files on this thing. Seems like I should be able to recover at least the files with a good file recovery program. Any one have any suggestions for a data recovery program?

Now, you're going to think I'm either full of $h.. or crazy, but this works. I've done it 2 times in the past 3 months. Put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Then plug it in and see what happens. You may have to repeat a few times. I find that I can get about 5 minutes before I have to cool it back down. I've had my wife's laptop go south, yanked the drive and froze it and also used the method at a client last week. Works like a champ. I haven't done it on a USB drive. It may take longer to chill it where it needs to be while it's in the enclosure. Worth a try...

Here's a link that covers the topic: http://www.datarecoverypros.com/hard-drive-recovery-freeze.html

I had a hard drive fry last night and am going to do what this guy did.

I ordered the cable so WHEN (hopeful) it works you are more than welcome to borrow it on the weekend. I may try the freezer, too. I read to put only the drive in a bag.

I wasn't going to admit this in public but I actually tried the freezer trick. Also changed cables, etc.. didn't help me. I thought the freezer trick was BS but the guy's explanation seemed to make some sense. So I put it in the freezer and kept going over all I could rember about thermodynamics from physics classes hoping I wasn't making a total fool of myself. Still nothing.

I've seen this software work for corrupt partitions and deleted files. http://www.recovermyfiles.com/ . You can download it and last I saw, the free version shows you what can be recovered but makes you pay to actually recover the files.

Since your computer isn't recognizing the drive, I'd tend to think it's the controller in the enclosure.

90% of the time I've had drive issues, it's been mechanical issues. That video posted above will work for those types of issues. Take the enclosure apart and see if you can get the drive out. Bring the drive itself into Fry's and get a drive enclosure that fits your type of drive (show them the drive and they should be able to sell you the right one - there are various standards/sizes/etc). They cost $10-$20 if you grab a cheap one (usually good enough since you're just going to get your data and not run the thing nonstop). Install the drive and see if you can get your data. Copy your files to your computer if you can brows it.

That's the first thing those data recovery places do and charge you mega bucks for it.

If that doesn't work, your drive internals are probably fried. If your data is valuable enough there are other ways of getting at the data (again, it's usually the mechanical stuff that dies - motor, bearings, etc) but that involves more work and cost. The recovery places will actually dismantle the drive and install the platters in a working drive to get the data, but I've never tried that.

The software solutions won't help if your computer can't see the drive.

By the way, thanks.. I just bought a 1tb WD passport, and now I'm concerned about using it for backups! :lol:

Thanks for the replies folks.

I have tried it on three computers at home in the last few days. I will be going into my office tomorrow. I think that was the last computer on which I used it before it quit. I have access to about a dozen comuters there on which I can try it. If that doesn't work I will try Doug's dismantling trick. I might try to get one of those cable adapters from the video too.

I have an older 40gig and 80gig which have been working great for a couple of years. This one is one of the newer small black high capacity ones. It lasted long enough to get out of warranty. I use these things so much I was just about to go buy the 1Tb also Doug. But I think I will wait and see what happens to yours first.

Maybe I should stick with Vintage with hard drives too.

Since your computer isn't recognizing the drive, I'd tend to think it's the controller in the enclosure.

90% of the time I've had drive issues, it's been mechanical issues. That video posted above will work for those types of issues. Take the enclosure apart and see if you can get the drive out. Bring the drive itself into Fry's and get a drive enclosure that fits your type of drive (show them the drive and they should be able to sell you the right one - there are various standards/sizes/etc). They cost $10-$20 if you grab a cheap one (usually good enough since you're just going to get your data and not run the thing nonstop). Install the drive and see if you can get your data. Copy your files to your computer if you can brows it.

I bought a USB enclosure for this reason. I have kept it for emergencies. You can bring it to me and we can try it (my office is in Sorrento Valley). If the problem is with the enclosure (less likely but possible) it will help.

Also if the drive is clunking, it indicates a mechanical failure inside the drive. The more you try to use it the worse you will make it. If the drive is not clunking, and the USB enclosure change does not work, you can take it to some of the drive recovery places and get data recovered relatively cheaply (a clunking drive requires opening it up in a clean room which is a costly procedure).

I agree with Eric, the freezer trick has worked in the past.

A program I used in the past called "restorer 2000 professional" and if the hard drive was hooked up and spinning, you could recover data from it, as long as you had another device to restore it to. IIRC, you could select specific files to be restored and not the whole hard drive. It did take a while (hours) to initially scan the drive before you could recover, but it works. I guess one should Google to see if the program is still available, as I am way behind in the computer world now. (still running XP).

Got the cables, nothing. Freezer, nothing. I recovered nothing! If anyone wants to borrow the cable. I live near City College. You can bring your drive and try it on my machine or take it and return it when you get your info.

Mourning the lose of many photos, files and guess what I have now? I have more free time to ride!

I had a hard drive fry last night and am going to do what this guy did.

I ordered the cable so WHEN (hopeful) it works you are more than welcome to borrow it on the weekend. I may try the freezer, too. I read to put only the drive in a bag.

This video was helpful. I ordered the cables and Doug's suggestion for a new enclosure with a new controller. Let you now how it works.

My wifes laptop died a couple months ago. After a few diag steps I determined it had a bad hard drive. I saw this post, put the drive in the freezer for 15 minutes and it booted up first try.

My wifes laptop died a couple months ago. After a few diag steps I determined it had a bad hard drive. I saw this post, put the drive in the freezer for 15 minutes and it booted up first try.

Lucky man. I tried freezing mine all night and still nothing.

That COULD be good news Don. Freezing does the same thing that it does when you freeze your bearings to put them in a wheel - shrinks the damaged bearings in the drive and allows it spin freely long enough to retrieve your data. Since freezing didn't help, that's one more piece of evidence that points towards the controller being bad.

Let me know if you want help tearing into it.

That COULD be good news Don. Freezing does the same thing that it does when you freeze your bearings to put them in a wheel - shrinks the damaged bearings in the drive and allows it spin freely long enough to retrieve your data. Since freezing didn't help, that's one more piece of evidence that points towards the controller being bad.

Would you be willing to help me?

Would you be willing to help me?

I can give it a shot. Might be time for a geek night!

Thanks Doug

I know it is not mechanical. The drive starts up ok, light comes on, I can hear and feel it spinning. I ordered a case with a new controller as you suggested. Let you know when it gets here. By the way, I also ordered a new WD 500gig Passport. They are just so cool, defective controllers or not. But then so are Honda XL's.

Don

I can give it a shot. Might be time for a geek night!

I am happy to host it and pick up some snacks, etc. Just let me know when works for you.