KTMrad

Loud Pipes Discussion

enough said

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/44492/detail/

Or

Ladies - You may want him rev his engine before taking him home. Study links loud exhaust noise to small penis size.

You can hear them coming from miles away; motorcycles, trucks and cars with modified exhaust systems customized to rattle the fillings out of your head. Have you ever wondered about the owner? Now new study is shedding some light on this phenomena.

Researchers from the University of South Carolina released their results on Wednesday which show a direct relationship between the size of a man's penis to the sounds emanating from his muffler.

Dr. Knoffler explained the studies methodology and findings: "Basically we set up in a parking lot and measured exhaust sound levels, when a motorcycle, truck or car was louder than average we identified the driver and had one of our researchers approach them. The researcher always used the same script 'Your pipes really turn me on, show me your stuff'. Generally the subject would whip it out on the spot and before he could figure out what was going on we would have him measured, tagged and released."

"We were really counting on the Dukes of Hazzard Effect to get good data." The Dukes of Hazzard Effect was well documented in the 1980's, it was the first research to demonstrate a low IQ among muscle car fans. Later research expanded this group to include NASCAR and monster truck enthusiasts. "You almost feel sorry for these guys, they look so confused when we release them, the few that catch on usually say something about shrinkage before they wander off disappointed."

Early in the study researchers were having a difficult time obtaining subjects, Dr. Knoffler explains "at the beginning of the study we were using only female research assistants and we had a significant percentage of subjects fail to comply, on a hunch I brought in a male assistant and when a subject rebuffed the female assistants request we sent in the male researcher.

It turns out that quite a number of these guys would rather expose themselves to another man than to a woman. When queried about their sexual orientation however they were emphatic that they were not gay. Although it was beyond the scope of this study I suspect that the Larry Craig Syndrome is playing a role here." The Larry Craig Syndrome or LCS is used to explain the behavior of a man who is in such deep denial about his homosexuality that he continues to deny it even when presented with direct evidence to the contrary. "It's way beyond being in the closet"

A surprising finding related to women with loud pipes. Women are 83% less likely to have loud exhaust systems which comes as no surprise, "The unexpected finding was that 37% of the 'women' with loud pipes were actually men in drag, of the remainder 22% were actually hermaphrodites which is far in excess of the 0.003% rate for the whole population. "Most women are quite embarrassed to be making so much noise and explain that their boyfriend of husband bought the vehicle".

The research published this week builds on decades of similar studies measuring penis size among various groups. Dr. Knoffler explains, "Women have long known that men driving sports cars are compensating for being under endowed. The initial studies we conducted conclusively documented this intuition. At the time our studies were quite innovative, women of course had long known that the flashier the car the smaller the package but we were the first team to scientifically demonstrate it."

"It's ironic that the biggest pricks are driving BMW's while simultaneously transporting the smallest pricks". After the first study was published Dr. Knoffler was contacted by the auto industry. "There was quite a bit of excitement, the Big Three, no pun intended, were really interested in applying this research to sell trucks and cars.

"The entire F150, F250, F350 marketing progression was developed to get men with smaller penises to but larger trucks. "If you park these trucks side by side arranged from smallest to largest and then measured penises the correlation is as close to 100% as we can measure as the truck gets bigger the penis gets smaller". "And of course Dodge built their entire vehicle lineup around our research."

More recently Enzyte has used this research to identify and market directly to men with small penises. "Enzyte's ability to target these men en mass and get them to buy snake oil really demonstrates how inferior these guys feel and to what lengths they will go to compensate." Although there has been some interest shown by the penis pump retailers however they have, for the time being, opted to send spam to any known email address.

So the next time you are stopped at a light and the motorcycle next to you starts revving the throttle in a deafening roar remember that he's just compensating for being cheated by a vengeful God with a terrific sense of humor.

Never thought that loud pipes saved lives. I do know that they are extremely annoying and even worse sounding if I'm riding my motorcycle instead of instead of being insulated from them in my car. I stopped for gas once at this station where these two Harley riders had also stopped to fuel up their machines. They were chatting away until it was time to close the gas caps. Then they stuffed their ears with plugs and started up a couple of machines with straight flow pipes. It was so horribly loud, that it was painful. I don't even know how anybody could stand to spend a day on the highway making themselves and everyone around them go deaf.

...It was so horribly loud, that it was painful. I don't even know how anybody could stand to spend a day on the highway making themselves and everyone around them go deaf.

i will go out on a limb, and say...."because they are wearing earplugs!!" :P

B)...being deaf helps inner cranial conversations too!! ask me how i know...

enough said

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/44492/detail/

Or

Ladies - You may want him rev his engine before taking him home. Study links loud exhaust noise to small penis size.

So the next time you are stopped at a light and the motorcycle next to you starts revving the throttle in a deafening roar remember that he's just compensating for being cheated by a vengeful God with a terrific sense of humor.

Using this theory I must be huge!! My VFR is almost silent when running :D

the next time you are lane splitting while commuting on the 91 fwy and some texting, makeup applying, burger eating, falling asleep nimrod starts to drift over on you and you have to fumble to find the horn with your thumb which requires changing your grip on the handlebars...let me know how that works out so we can visit you in the hospital....

since i ride with my clutch in hand always...a quick pull and a loud rev....and they ALWAYS move back over out of the way...

save lives....i think so....

i never run straight pipes that just are irritatingly loud at all times..but pipes that that rap up when hard on the throttle...always

I agree with kelly! some times a little rev can wake people up, but on the down side it does not agree with people on the off rode section so give a little take a little , sorry!

yes it does help on single track...i can hear people coming sometimes but if they have really quiet pipes i have almost gone head on with them...

i dont like a bike super loud, just loud enough to be heard....

on my ktm i run the stock exhaust with the stock restrictor knocked out..that and jetting and gearing and the thing really woke up...but it is not very loud unless i rev it up really hard...

i can pass cops at half throttle all day long and never get a second look...but when i need to get someones attention, it is loud enough...

if you dont like loud pipes, then great, dont run them....but i will NOT run backed up, restrictive, underpowered, and overheating quiet exhaust...for my health and that of my bikes

I like to be the one on the singletrack with the quiet pipe, so I can hear other bikes coming from the other direction.

I have one aftermarket pipe that I have to run without the baffle or my bike doesn't have any powerband to speak of. I hate the sound of the exhaust, and a long day of riding that bike while having to listen to the exhaust just makes me extra tired. I tried earplugs, but they don't seem to muffle much of the noise and are uncomfortable as well.

brett, that episode has now been sent to all of my harley buddies...thanx :D

very funny...

mimi, so your cr85 isnt loud and annoying? it is probably louder than my ktm. :blink:

i dont like straight OPEN pipes...i still like them baffled, but not stock

mimi, so your cr85 isnt loud and annoying? it is probably louder than my ktm. :blink:

i dont like straight OPEN pipes...i still like them baffled, but not stock

My CR85 was horrible. I couldn't even stand to ride it and don't know how kids can stand them. I bought a 160 dollar Q (quiet series) muffler/spark arrestor for it right away....and I bought one for my KX250 even though that bike came with a pretty quite muffler (but no spark arrestor). I like to ride the two strokes on the trails, because I can always hear a four stroke over my own bike's exhaust.thumbsup.gif

unnecessarily loud bikes are definitely annoying however a noise that is completely different then the normal car engine would make someone pay attention in my opinion. i also actually enjoy the sound of a good revving motor and exhaust system that feeling of power and adrenalin just makes me feel real good. summery: most things are fine as long as moderation is exercised. a fair pipe that, if your a harley rider, gives your body a good rumble that makes you heart flutter is perfectly fine however those that go down the street and start every car alarm off may have gone a little over board. plus you can only open a pipe up so much before the power gains are minimal.

well said star....too open actually ROBS power and depletes scavenging...some back pressure is good...

a nice rumble, even a roar when revved up, but still "modest" when at moderate throttle....

im just kinda sick of all of the tree hugging whiners crying about any noise....

sorry in adavnce to any tree hugging whiners :D

i TOO like trees...and i love them flashing inches off of my bark busters.... ;)

mimi...so in essence...you also LOVE loud pipes...because if you cant hear the 4 strokes over your 2t...your danger would increase....right? :rolleyes:

i will be the loud guy on the 4 stroke that you hear and pull over for, so i can roar by B)

I have thought about putting an aftermarket exhaust on the VMax but have decided not to, I already have a loud bike and really don't want or need another. With that said I have experienced the occasional car swerving into my lane on the freeway and in town and used the clutch & rev while riding the XR and it did get their attention.

I have also been told by oncoming riders on trails that they heard me coming so I guess the XR having an exhaust that is louder than stock does seem to have a few benefits aside from the performance that it does give.

I had no idea how loud that exhaust was gonna be when I bought it and after paying like $500+ for it I'm not about to just toss it. I do have a SS tip I bought for it and that quiets it down allot :D Which I am going to use for all of my non open desert rides just out of respect for the communities that I pass through.

I just want to ride, I do not want to cause anyone any reason to be angry just because I have a loud abnoxious, snorting pig of a bike.

Not too serious ad in, and little off topic but some of our crew from a "tough one" type ride in Mexico, installed small marine air horns on their dirt bikes. And being faster than most riders on the event had a fun time with all of us on the ride. No need for a loud bike (one was 525 kato with OEM pipe (fastguy),the other a CRF450X (superfast guy) with OEM pipe) with marine safety air horns installed. Annoying?? hmmm maybe,,, but with sense of trail humor, funny as heck, oh yeah!!

a couple of comments (most of which have already been pointed out, but I thought I'd add my cent)

A pipes sound in traffic is mostly behind you... I always see them before I hear them, unless they are in front of me (unlikely ;) ) in which case I hear them before I can see them

as for a louder pipe on the trail... ok... somebody's bike is always going to be louder, and somebody's is always going to be quieter. I don't think making more noise is the answer at all...

"good sounding" pipes is a very reasonable explanation... It's a little bit selfish, but at least it's honest... I've had sport bikes before when I couldn't idle through a parking garage without setting off alarms... I LOVED the sound of a sport twin or an in line four with a nice pipe on it. But I changed my tune, when I started seeing peoples (ok... old boring fuddy dud people... like I am now)reaction.... yeah; they over-react... plugging their ears and making faces... relax; I'll be out of ear shot relatively quickly. Point is: mine were not crazy loud at idle, and "good sounding" at freeway speeds, and it still pissed people off... you know: PEOPLE.... voting people... voting people without cruisers, dirtbikes and sportbikes... people that live in the cities and are tired of having loud bikes ride by... so they complain to their congressman (largely with a D- in front of the state.... although I'm not making a political statement)... the congressman (in their infinite wisdom, and their neverending desire to earn a paycheck from taxpayers) authors a bill fixing the problem in the simplest way possible (less fuss for them)

Who is to blame? Not the D-CA congressman... Not the people that want it quiet... it's the people that make their bikes so loud, you can't have a conversation in your own living room. (some will say "move"... blow me; it's my house)

The legislation is flawed... it is "fixing" a problem that already has legislation in place... it's being requested because the current legislation is not being enforced, and people are sick of obnoxious bikes... I am too... but I'm still not going to support the bill...

i want train horns banned!

I want diesel trucks off of my hiway, they are loud and smokey!

I want all stereos off of the market!

Disc Jockeys should be illegal!

all musical instruments destroyed...especially irritaing neighbor kinds with brass horns!

washing machines, driers, dishwashers OUT!

alarm clocks GONE!

no more toasting or cheers at restaurants, done!

no tap dancing!

and OMG no more damn construction!

what the hell people?

grow up...someone stop the nonesense!

where does it end....

set a reasonable Db level..100ish and get off my ass

what the hell people?

grow up...someone stop the nonesense!

where does it end....

set a reasonable Db level..100ish and get off my ass

Unfortunately people will never stop the nonsense, and it's issues we gotta face one way or another.

Just like land closures.

a couple of comments (most of which have already been pointed out, but I thought I'd add my cent)

A pipes sound in traffic is mostly behind you... I always see them before I hear them, unless they are in front of me (unlikely ;) ) in which case I hear them before I can see them

as for a louder pipe on the trail... ok... somebody's bike is always going to be louder, and somebody's is always going to be quieter. I don't think making more noise is the answer at all...

"good sounding" pipes is a very reasonable explanation... It's a little bit selfish, but at least it's honest... I've had sport bikes before when I couldn't idle through a parking garage without setting off alarms... I LOVED the sound of a sport twin or an in line four with a nice pipe on it. But I changed my tune, when I started seeing peoples (ok... old boring fuddy dud people... like I am now)reaction.... yeah; they over-react... plugging their ears and making faces... relax; I'll be out of ear shot relatively quickly. Point is: mine were not crazy loud at idle, and "good sounding" at freeway speeds, and it still pissed people off... you know: PEOPLE.... voting people... voting people without cruisers, dirtbikes and sportbikes... people that live in the cities and are tired of having loud bikes ride by... so they complain to their congressman (largely with a D- in front of the state.... although I'm not making a political statement)... the congressman (in their infinite wisdom, and their neverending desire to earn a paycheck from taxpayers) authors a bill fixing the problem in the simplest way possible (less fuss for them)

Who is to blame? Not the D-CA congressman... Not the people that want it quiet... it's the people that make their bikes so loud, you can't have a conversation in your own living room. (some will say "move"... blow me; it's my house)

The legislation is flawed... it is "fixing" a problem that already has legislation in place... it's being requested because the current legislation is not being enforced, and people are sick of obnoxious bikes... I am too... but I'm still not going to support the bill...

+1

If one is really concerned...

personally I would rather be accelerating out of danger instead of pulling in the clutch and revving my bike.

but see Kelly (other than the obvious teen agers with brass horns and my talking too much) you are still assigning a level to "how loud" is loud enough.... which is what the existing law is, if I'm not mistaken

I agree with you (other than the brass horn and my talking)... pick a level, and expect people to follow it... there IS an assigned level, and a V Twin with straight pipes is NOWHERE close to it...THAT is what started the political mumbo-jumbo of stickers on exhausts...

:lol: you said to "ban me".... BOOOO B)

Thx for posting the Stebel, Josh. I have on on the Strom and it gets noticed. They even warn against testing it in a garage on the install paperwork. If you're trying to keep the wt down, it's not the horn for you but I'm seriously thinking of replacing the stock bird chirper on the DR after getting pushed out of a lane Sunday morning while on the horn button.