Chief Gunner

Hi guy's ....

I'm still alive :o Since Retiring I've been working my tail off and adjusting to this Civilian lifestyle. It seems like I had allot more time off (when I was not deployed) than I do now ;)

Anyway I've been working on getting the old XR tuned and prepped so I can show up on a ride unanounced and re-connect with my friends here :)

I wanted to take a minute and post an experience I had today so that my Active Duty and Retired Military Comrades & Brethren here are made aware of this. It bothered me so much I felt like I just had to share it with you;

Being fed up with the run around and the pains I experieced at a local shop in El Cajon I decided to take my VMax to NCY for some work (after seeing them advertise Military discounts) and hearing some good things from some of you here.

I drop the VMax off out back and I talked to Rich in service who seemed nice enough so feeling at ease over letting my ride get worked on at another dealership I figured I'd take a look around the store.

I then started looking at an FJR on the showroom floor and met Greg who was also seemed like a good guy. He showed me a used FJR that they had and I immediately fell in lust with it, he did not pressure me and was sincere so I was seriously considering adding it to my herd (even planned on paying cash for it in a couple of days) so I thanked him and strolled over to the parts section of the store.

When I saw some tires on the shelf I wanted for the XR I grabbed them and some new MSR heavy duty tubes to go with them. I headed over to the counter to pay for them and the store cashier there was a guy named Cole.

So I asked him if they did Military discounts, he said yes and when I showed him my retired ID card he said .....the Military Discounts are for "Current Active duty Only".......What I ask? He said "It's not my policy, it's the stores" B)

If I had known that my 20+ years of Active Duty and the Sacrifices I've made (including receiving VA service connected disability for the damage it did to my body) to serve this Ccountry were not good enough to receive a discount at this place I would have never dropped off the VMax there.

So I went online and filled out a customer Survey form and wrote in it that I will be sending a letter to the editors of the local Base newspapers so that all Active Duty and Retired Personnel who read them will be made aware of NCY's policies.

I really felt insulted by this and anyone on Active Duty or Retired should be as well.

Sorry to hear about that. Perhaps their management will re-think their policy...

Jim Herkman the owner of NCY is a personal friend of mine. I will ask him about this tomorrow. I really don't know of many shops that do as much for the mortorcycling community as NCY. I will try and let you know what he says.

Chris

I think this just may be an oversight, and I hope there can be a resolution so that everyone is happy.

Thank you for your service to our country, and all other active, reserve, and retired members of the Armed Forces in our club and all over the world.

Jim Herkman the owner of NCY is a personal friend of mine. I will ask him about this tomorrow. I really don't know of many shops that do as much for the mortorcycling community as NCY. I will try and let you know what he says.

Chris

X2

That is just rediculous! B)

But, give them another chance. Maybe the kid was mistaken? :blink:

I have purchased bikes and parts from NCY for a very long time. My husband is also friends with Jim. Usually I have great customer service there (even thought I will NEVER get an oil change there).

Congratulations on your retirement, and thank you for your service. I retired after 22.5 years, over 16 years ago, and my retired ID has worked almost everywhere as if it was an Active. I even got to do a "military" track day a couple years ago at Fontana using my retired ID. Thanks for letting us know who does not honor the retired ID.

Cycle Gear also honors retired ID, but anyone can get a discount there with their MSF card.

I talked with Jim Herkman this morning. He said yes, active military is the policy. However I don't think the intent is to discriminate against retired military just to honor active military. He does give discounts to Active police, fire and military and he was pretty sure that SDAR members also get a discount. If there is any concern just ask for Kendal in the parts department and he will be try to rectify any concerns. When I get back in town I will go into NCY and talk to Kendal about making sure that they are also taking care of our retired military. Again in the almost 20 years that I have been dealing with NCY they have always gone out of their way to please.

Chris Nelson

Try to talk to Julie Hurkman and Kendal about your concerns. If you get the discount please promote it to your comuneity and try to steer some bussiness their way. All the shops are hurting in this ecomony. Try to keep the local shops going and try to stay away from internet sales. You would not believe how low the sales numbers are. Things are not picking up for the local shops.

Thanks