Spaugh

ktm husaberg 2 smokes

here is some eye candy for the cross country 2 stroke lovers. husaberg will have something awesome 2T next year, for now its just a rebadged KTM. I like the way they look blue though. The 250/300's now have 6 speeds thats, the most significant change.

CHECK OUT THIS HUSABERG VIDEO

2011KTMsfirstpic.jpg

2011-Husaberg-TE-250-3.jpg

2011-KTM-300EXCc.jpg

2011-Husaberg-TE-250-1.jpg

DR,

Explain to us what is Up with Husaberg. Where are they made, who is their target customer?

Why would we use one vs an Orange Bike? I mean other than the nice Blue color.

Thanx

husaberg is owned by KTM. this is the first year they are selling 2 strokes. there has been rumors that they would come out with a direct injection 2 stroke. that didn't happen but maybe it will happen in 2012 or 2013. I think husaberg does do some of their own R&D, or maybe KTM just uses them to release its latest and greatest?

Here is a video explaining direct injection. Its been around for a few years but not in dirt bikes yet. The main hope of DI is that they will become green sticker or even street legal.

here is an old 2009 video of the husaberg slant cylinder design if you haven't already seen it. I'm surprised KTM hasn't started selling slant cyclinder bikes yet.

Not being Orange is a good enough reason to buy a Husaberg

:lol:

On a serious note: the advantage of a well sorted two stroke will hopefully get the manufacturers to get them to meet emissions standards

The industry could really use the boost right now

It appears KTM is following in the footsteps of General Motors (Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, GMC, Cadillac) Chrysler Motors (Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge) and Ford Motors (Ford, Mercury, Lincoln). Rebadge an existing model and sell it under another nameplate. Attention KTM, history proves it doesn't work. Simple changes to the body, suspension and seat doesn't give a new product.

Yes it's a blue and white KTM. The only significant difference between the Orange and the Blue ($$$$) is open cartridge and closed cartridge forks. Another disappointing new model release.

I think Brad is right, perhaps '12 will have the induction changes we were hoping for. I think KTM/berg just did the rebadged bike as a steppingstone into the 2T market. We shall see. can't wait will next year.

On a serious note: the advantage of a well sorted two stroke will hopefully get the manufacturers to get them to meet emissions standards

Agree with ya on the orange thing.

There are numerous videos/articles out there on the dramatic improvements of direct injection for 2 strokes. Even a very simple mechanical direct injection is an improment over the current set up. Unless it is direct injected, there will never be a two stroke engine that will meet hydrocarbon emissions for a green sticker or even a license plate. It will NEVER happen. There is just too much unburned fuel passing through the cylinder and into the exhaust. If the engine uses premix fuel...fuggitaboutit. You can't sort these emssions monsters out.

Yes, build a DI 2T and they will come. Even with the extra equipment a 250 2T would weigh 20# less than a 450 4T and produce comprable power while burning LESS fuel. Since the premix fuel isn't passing through the crank the oil would have to be in a sump system like a current 4T. Seems like an all win scenario. So who's going to be the first to step up?

hmmmmm......If it was only black and blue with no yellow

Ford = KTM

Mercury = Husaberg

A closer analogy might be Yellowstone and Yosemite National Parks

:)

Ford = KTM

Mercury = Husaberg

Bags, I'd agree with you on your comparisons but unfortunately Mercury is now a dead nameplate. As is Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Plymouth. My point being if KTM wants Husaberg to succeed they'd better keep them different, different plastic and forks is not different.

you guys are all partly right and maybe some partly wrong.

YES this 2t berg IS a rebadged ktm with blue/yellow colors and the upgraded forks.

YES husaberg is owned by KTM.

NO the blue is NOT better than my beloved ORANGE :) although ANYTHING is better than red

NO husaberg is NOT just a ford/merc rebadge on any other model than this new 2t

husaberg is kind of a test brand for ktm. berg developed the FI system that ktm is using now. the slant cylinder is the same cylinder that ktm uses just on a completely different crankcase/trans.

berg uses alot of off the shelf ktm stock parts to keep cost down..i.e. forks, shocks, swingarms etc...when ktm wants to build and test something new they use berg as a platform.

the advantage to bergs is that they are state of the art, newest tech available, but not everything always works.

this new 2t is just to get them started on the 2t platform. they will take, play with it and figure if they want to redeign anything in conjunction with DI tech. maybe build a completely different frame or something to go with the DI...cant wait to see

AS far as who would be in on a 2t with a plate....me me me...i am in for an ORANGE, 6 speed, 300cc, 2t, plated, and light weight bike..omg i want one so bad...

even that beautiful 300xcw is almost ready to make me wanna move out of state so i could plate one

:huh:

I like the new 2 stroke berg but would not pay more just to be different, but there are folks that will so that is part of their target market. But the real reasons for the bike are as was already mentioned a step into having a 2 stroke customer base before the DI engine but actually the bigger reason is in Europe there are quite a lot of Husaberg only dealers that do not have KTM product line and KTM/Husaberg miss sales to other brands when a customer comes in wanting a 2 stroke. For same reason Husaberg last year expanded their range with FS and FX models and 390, they still don't have anything smaller than the new 250 stroke though. I did look to see our nearest dealer and it is Rocket Motorcycles, have to drop in sometime when the 2011 bikes come out and see if the have the new 2 strokes in.

excellent additional reasoning dai...we forget here in so cal that not EVERYONE has every brand at a nearby shop like we do....with as many things wrong in the state of cali....there sure are ALOT of great things here...anybody see the weather today B):D

august, and this is the weather...hard to beat this global warming ehh :P to the rest of the country..jk

hey dai, I saw your bike and its awesome, I'm very jealous. Something about 90hrs and being ready for a new one? You are the man! I was just at all american KTM to buy a seal for my 300 and was checking out the 2011 250XC they had. It is so light even with the electric starter. My 2003 300exc has over a 1000hrs on it and it runs great but I really want a new one. I have trouble pulling 5th in deep sand and think the new 6 speed will be a cure for the gappy tranny I currently have. The only problem is the 8000$ price tag on these things... Guess I'll keep riding my old bike.

4760986171_a0c2153ecb_z.jpg

4761616078_bc708b8cd4_z.jpg

I agree!!

One report I read said that two strokes were street legal in the EU and met more stringent standards then the US. The bad thing is that Husaberg is not going to import the TE 250 or 300 into the US at this time. :huh:

One report I read said that two strokes were street legal in the EU and met more stringent standards then the US. The bad thing is that Husaberg is not going to import the TE 250 or 300 into the US at this time. :huh:

Yes 2 strokes can still be street legal in EU, my 2011 300XC is plated etc. in UK, but no the standards are not more stringent than US (or CA at least). Depending on country some come with blinkers, mirrors in a box and exhaust with catalyst (and another "race" exhaust).

hey dai, I saw your bike and its awesome, I'm very jealous. Something about 90hrs and being ready for a new one? You are the man! I was just at all american KTM to buy a seal for my 300 and was checking out the 2011 250XC they had. It is so light even with the electric starter. My 2003 300exc has over a 1000hrs on it and it runs great but I really want a new one. I have trouble pulling 5th in deep sand and think the new 6 speed will be a cure for the gappy tranny I currently have. The only problem is the 8000$ price tag on these things... Guess I'll keep riding my old bike.

4760986171_a0c2153ecb_z.jpg

4761616078_bc708b8cd4_z.jpg

Nice pics of your 300, looks a well sorted bike.

Yes the 2011 XC's feel real light even with the electric start, more so when riding it. Many say the e start is a waste on a 2 stroke and while I agree most of us can recall many times when stuck on side of hill or other circumstance that it would be more than handy to just press a button to fire it up. I rarely use mine, in fact only really if I fall on a special test or real tight section where a few seconds can count where you can have the motor running before you are even back on the bike and get away before someone passes you. So while I could do without the extra weight (8 lbs apparently) I would not remove it. I agree the prices are high, $8k is a lot for a bike to throw around in the dirt, but in UK my 300 cost equivalent of > $9k, and as they were so hot no deals, no trade in even, did well to get a few spares thrown in. But have to say if KTM sold same bike with kick start only for say $500 less now I fall off a bit less I would go with kick start version, but the price itself is not the only issue, for me the depreciation is more concerning.

I am a big fan of the 250/300 KTM 2 strokes as they can be quite easily tuned for different performance and the new 6 speed semi close box is a nice improvement. My 2010 300XC is awesome though so for what I use it with work I have done on it I have no intention to upgrade to a 2011, I plan waiting for the new gen DI engine, whether it is orange or blue it will be the future. But will the first year bike be a good idea, guess we will know a bit more on how the 2011 SX bikes, specifically 350 really performs, seems to be mixed reviews so far.