Ride-Orange

Tecate-RSV-Laguna Hanson...

O.K. then, I'll get it started. Met up with lots of cool folks at the secure lot this side of the Tecate crossing. Tree, bikeslut, Terrible619, Motobro, Steve, Numbskull, Hugo and his son Hugo Jr., Javier, my business partner Dave (would you please register here and get a handle!), and I think that's it. Oh yeah, me, for a total of 11 starters. Here's the group getting ready to go...

Posted Image

This report is going to be short because about 20 or 30 miles in I was slowing down to get some photos of the guys that were behind me, and I stopped paying attention to the trail at exactly the wrong time and crashed in the spot where the dirt is all stirred-up in the foreground by Bob... I was able to scramble to my feet, re-fill my left lung with air, and get the camera out in time to get Bob and Hugo coming down the trail.

Posted Image

I landed on by back where the ribs connect to the spine and had the wind knocked out of me. I also wound up with some bruised cartilidge (I hope) and it still hurts to breath deeply. Anyway... We got to RSV and I told the boys I was going to bail out on the rest of the trip. I hope you guys had fun and someone will post the rest of the ride.

Posted Image

Here's a pic of Tree, who is one of the fastest guys I have ridden with, but who usually (cordially) starts our rides following someone. When we started this ride he was sweep (or near sweep) and got a little dusty in the process.

Posted Image

Hope you guys had fun. Thanks to Dave for hanging with me back to the States. We stopped for tacos and chilled in Tecate for a while, then cut-off a bunch of people at the border crossing (thanks to the nice lady in the mini-van). It took about 3 minutes to get back in. :unsure:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I bought Mrs. Hammerin a bike yesterday. I hope she can improve quikly and ride along soon . I think a RN might be good to have on these rides.

We need to do this again soon! I need to find my license plate! Thanks to Tree, Hugo Sr, Hugo Jr, Javier and the rest of the guys for a great ride to Laguna Nelsen.

If you have wanted to make a day trip to Mexico this is the way to go, great guys and a great ride. Keep your eyes open for the next post in informal rides because I am sure this ride will come around again.

It was a great ride. According to Rob's GPS, that he let me take along, the total was 220 miles but I thought everyone else's odometers were around 200mi. Mine went out on the way back so I couldn't verify. We all started out across the border a little late about 8:15am once we got a short way out of town we hit the dirt trails for the ride to Santa Veronica. Hugo jr. was leading with Rob then myself and the rest of the group. A short distance into this I had to stop to pick up Rob's water bottles that he started loosing off the back of his bike. We ere cruising along pretty well when I noticed a bunch of barbed wire on the outside of the trail. As I thought to myself that's pretty close to the trail I'm glad I didn't hit I looked back to see one of the DRZs right in the middle of it, I thnk it was Terrible619 (but clairify if I'm wrong). After some handy work with the wire cutters we were back on our way. We stoped about 3/4 in to regroup and take of our jackets as it was starting to get warm. That's were we learned about Rob's dirt nap. It was a fun first leg of the trip (40 miles) and with some breaks it took about two hrs as estimated. At Santa Veronica we took a break. Some people ate breakfast and other a lite snack. Rob and Dave decided to head back. We filled up with gas that we bought at the local market. It was gallon water jugs with gas in them, among other things like water and some dirt. :unsure: Then we were off again. It was a great ride to Launa Hanson Hugo Jr. was setting a good pace through the trail about four of us would stay in the front pack then we'd take breaks waiting for the rest of the group to catch up. The faster you ride the longer beak you get. Sucks to be in last, by the time he gets there were ready to go again. :o I think my crash was the only one on the way. I hit group of roots that kicked my bike out from under me and I went down but it really wasn't much as I got right back on and going without the bike even shutting off. It probablly looked pretty cool from behind though. At Laguna Hanson we stoped at Remona's for some gas, cervezas, sodas and thirty burittos. We started to feel the ride at that point and decided to take a easier dirt route back. It was easier for the most part but there was one big rut on the outside of one of the trails that motobro got stuck in. I was behind him at this point and didn't see him or the rut until I came around the turn. I was heading straight for it as well so I decided to take evasive action and cross over the rut outside the trail. Everything was going good until I tried to crossback over the rut and my front tire fell in. Everyone said it was pretty funny as I was balacing on the front tire until I fell over. As I fell over I noticed one other bike slide out as he hit the rut. None the worse for wear everyone was ok and we started back out again. I bearly avoided a head on with Hugo Jr as he was coming back to check on what happened to us. We managed to get back to the parking area right around sunset. Man, I was beat. I'm sure glad that I trucked my bike to the border and didn't have to ride all the way back home. I didn't take any pictures but I hope some of the other guys post theirs from the ride. We'll have to do it again some time soon. Mexico is a blast and we had the trails all to ourselves.

Alright then, First time in Baja on my bike, my first organized ride with SDAR, first time Ive filled up my bike with gas out of old milk jugs in the middle of nowhere, and first time Ive actually ventured far enough from home to need all 3.9 gallons in my tank plus more... I hit reserve 5 miles from home. Id like to say it was the first time my bike has been tangled up in a fence but thats an "un-truth". I rode from home roughly 40 miles to the border meeting up with motobro, bikeslut, and Steve along the way who were nice enough to give me company. Mexico was beautiful and the weather was perfect. I will be going on more rides in the future for sure. I took some pics, Ill post a few here. I had already put links to 12 pics back in the "informal local rides" post before I saw this write-up. You can check out more there.

Our first stop to take off jackets and get a drink.

Posted Image

I could feel the bike cutting out a little in the high altitude, I asked tree to check his GPS near this ranch and he said we were at about 5,460 ft.

Posted Image

This was our oasis in the mountains, Rancho Ramona. This was at about 100 miles on the odometer and just after we passed what Im guessing was a dried up Laguna Hanson. That wood shack on stilts on the right is the gas station. We grabed some shade, soda, beer and burritos and rested for a bit. After lunch we got us some premium gasolina and followed Hugo Jr's dust cloud back to Tecate.

Posted Image

I don't have much to add...I forgot my camera

but what a blast! There is no way I would want to do this without a guide... Thanks Hugo, Hugo, Javier and Tree... Anyone else think it ironic that Tree was dropped by a root?

A nice quick pace by the majority of the group kept things interesting, and while running sweep I got to relax a bit and save my quads... still walking like I have two pegs legs today; I've done 80 mile mountain bike rides that didn't leave me this stiff.

Thanks everyone for a great ride...

Tree,

When is the next Laguna Hansen ride? I am starting to crave a couple cold Tecate's!

Tree,

When is the next Laguna Hansen ride? I am starting to crave a couple cold Tecate's!

MEEE TOOOO, WHEN?

Run it up the "Rides" flagpole and see who salutes :D I can make the first weekend in June, but I don't thing Tree can :D After that I'm out for a month...

Run it up the "Rides" flagpole and see who salutes :D I can make the first weekend in June, but I don't thing Tree can :D After that I'm out for a month...

I can't make the first Sat in June (2nd) but I could make that Sun. the 3rd. How's that work for everyone?

I can't make the first Sat in June (2nd) but I could make that Sun. the 3rd. How's that work for everyone?

That weekend may not be good I just realized that's the baja 500 weekend it will be too crowded.

I'm in, that was a real fun ride last time. I think I'll truck the bike to tecate next time. My ass was hurting by the time I got home, but totally worth it....

Who knows the route ?

That weekend may not be good I just realized that's the baja 500 weekend it will be too crowded.

That’s true; lets try to find a Saturday or Sunday that works for you and Ride-Orange. I don’t know that area well enough post it as an informal ride. So its what ever works for you guys I just want to tag along. It was fun ride. Do you think it would be to warm in July?

The 500 is starting in Ensenada then East to Ojos then South to Mike's , etc.. The course would not impact a RSV to Laguna Hanson run, but it may suck trying to get back across the border on that Sunday afternoon ;)

What about this Sunday? a pre memoral day ride. That way we have all day Mon. to heal up.

What about this Sunday? a pre memoral day ride. That way we have all day Mon. to heal up.

Sorry guys I'll be at Lake Havasu for the weekend. :lol:

What a dilema... Padres vs. Brewers... Baseball under the sun... Chance to root our Friars on against one of the best record clubs in MLB...

Sorry fellas, have fun and be safe...

I would definately be interested in another Baja run, already made plans for Memorial Day weekend though. B)