Strega

Where to EAT in San Diego

Oh, HELL yes.

Great place.

Good to see you yesterday, Gene.

Yeah, good to see ya. Actually, I thought maybe you'd like to try that place in your travels down south when I posted. But it looks like you've already found it. Maybe someone else will want to try it.

Sunset Grill in Esco, Thursday night burgers, 1/2 pound burger , fries, and a beer $7.25 can't beat it, just don't go in after 9 unless your packing :o

Some good, some not-so, but frequents none the less...

In Escondido

Italian

Joe's Italian - on Grand Ave near Center City Pkwy - Cozy, $10-20 per plate, good food, interesting décor, was there last night

Dominic's - on Escondido Blvd, between the theater and Smart and Final, $10-20 per plate, quality varies by dish, subdued décor

Fillippi's Pizza Grotto - On Grand Ave across from City Hall - $5-25 depending on ordering, there a lot and have only had a burnt underside on my pizza once, the minestrone and a super torpedo are my regulars with the occasional fit for a king pizza when I want leftovers for the week, the décor is plastic brick and wine bottles from the rafters

Oriental/Vietnamese

Chin's Szechuan - on Escondido Blvd, same center as Dominic's at the end away from the theater - $10-? per plate, as I'm not a fan of oriental cuisine I've sampled a lot of the menu here to find what I like and surprisingly enough I like everything I've had here, A favorite is the hot burned pork which you can get hot or not, off-white tablecloth type décor

Pho Saigon Express - on Washington Ave, in the Stater Bro's shopping center - $5-? per dish, this place is controlled chaos with good food and marginal wait staff, must be patient to go here during any main mealtimes, décor reminds me of a modified version of an old K-mart cafeteria

Mexican

Estrada's Taco Shop - On Quince near Second - $8-? per plate, had to put this little mom'n pops in there as my wife loves the food and I'm not sure why as to me it's just OK, standard small taco shop décor and closed Mondays

Cocina Del Charro - on Tulip near Valley Parkway, 15 Freeway close - $6-? per plate with a la carte selections, A little less taco shop and a little more refined scale eatery (as much as you can get in Escondido) with a wide array of choices in the menu, a little mission style mixed with old pueblo décor

I could go on and on but if I do I might end up outweighing my bike by lunchtime.

+1 for Philly Franks Steak Sub Shop, been going there a looong time.

+1 for Fat Ivors, not there as much anymore

Final add-in Tip Top Meats in Carlsbad/Solana Beach area near the flower fields, Deli, European Market, Butcher Shop, Eatery.

I'm getting heavier just thinkin' about these places.

At Giovanni's in Clairemont off Balboa, great pizza and Karl Strauss!

My Wife got the 16oz.

post-15232-059268300 1376434372_thumb.jp

Thanks to everyone who has posted up some of your favorite places. It's been useful to me when I'm looking for a place to eat in parts of San Diego I'm not very familiar with.

Here's another one in Chula Vista: Los Arcos - 89 East Bonita Road, Chula Vista, CA 91910

• On E Street/Bonita Road just west of the 805 in front of the Ramada Inn.

• Mexican seafood restaurant (same ownership as the Los Arcos in Tijuana)

• I've spent around $25/$30 per person when I've gone there. (It's way more expensive than the Tijuana location where I've spent around $8 per person.)

If you want authentic Baja seafood without crossing the border, this is a good place to try out. It has the same menu as the Tijuana restaurant.

Another good mexican seafood restaurant is Karinas off broadway in Chula Vista. Great view as well!... Especially fri through sun.