Rusty

Not even old enough to be "new" yet.

If I don't even own a bike yet, does that make me 'prenatal'?

I'm moving from San Francisco to Indio in June. I'm saving my pennies so I can get a proper bike to explore the area.

My last bike was a DR650. I know I risk the ire of the DR faithful, but I didn't like the bike--it actually made me miss my old Honda Trail 110. Yes, the Trail 110 is ugly as hell, but it was a veritable mule (back when I weighed less than 130).

I'll be seeking help to help me select a proper bike...but that's for another post.

I hope to ride with you all soon.

Rusty

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll get lots of advise as what to ride from all the members of the board. :lol:

Indio in June... ah, you'll enjoy summer there

:sick:

I have many friends in that area... let me know if you want to eat at a top notch restaurant, have your taxes done, or is you need a public defender... but it does get hot

as far as bike choice... you can't go wrong with a Honda 110 :lol:

Start another thread, and talk about what kind of riding you REALLY think you'll be doing. Most of us have made the mistake of getting a bike for what we wanted to do, then ended up not doing it (for me it was V Strom to tour the Southwest and check out deserted roads)

Welcome... I'm new here also but the guys here that i have met are all awesome guys.

As far as a bike do what i did. Walk around the bike shops till one falls over on you. It hurt but friendships are all about scrapes and bruises. I'm just glad i was walking around a KTM dealer when it happened... Really... it was fate.

welcome to the site,..and to Socal.....I was just up in Indio for the Stagecoach festival....fun time....warm even back in April, but it's a "dry heat"...

Welcome Rusty!

Big change going from SF to Indio. I was stationed in Phoenix which was also a dry heat....stock up on G2. Some wide open areas to ride though.

My first motorized 2 wheeler was a Trail 90. Came in pieces in Dad's trunk "if you wanna ride, you're gonna have to know how these things work". Followed by a Hodaka ACE 100 in the same condition. A good start into the sport.

I love my DR for what it is but am also fortunate enough to have another choice available. I haven't met anyone here that doesn't want to ride, with a smile on their face, no matter what you show up on.

Awaiting the "what bike should I buy" thread....always interesting reading.

Welcome!

What bike to buy raises a lot of questions. I went with state of the art up until my prime (in 1987 I was 45). Decided to stop trying to keep up at that point because the bikes of the day still fit me. Best advice is look in the mirror and see how long your inseam is and how much weight the bike will need to throw around. There are a lot of good bikes out there but not all will fit you or your riding interests. Don't go for the latest on the Motocross circuit unless you want to race motocross. You don't need motocross suspension for dual sport off road exploring. Look at what experienced riders are riding doing the kind of riding you want to do. There are many good dual sport bikes around but by definition they do a little of everything but not any one thing well. That IS what they do well. They are trade offs. They are the Jeeps of the motorcycle world. So ask yourself what you are willing to trade off. Your other option is to start your collection now. My wife claims that most people want an all purpose motorcycle but that I have a motorcycle for all purposes ( I have 19). :lol:

welcome Rusty....fenix is right, this is a great place for riding info, bike info, great riding partners, and a good bit of humor from alot of really nice people.

im with bikeslut {not "with" him with him, but in agreement hahaha} start a thread on what bike to buy posting your riding experience, riding style, and riding intentions and im sure you will get alot of great ideas...