Sign in to follow this  
Beta450

Magellan Explorist

My brother bought me the Magellan Explorist about 3 years ago. I am relatively new to using gps so is the Explorist any good at transfering trakes from other gps units or should I move on to another unit before I try learning how to use it?

I never transferred tracks to mine, but the breadcrumb feature, setting waypoints, and saving tracks was way more intuitive to me than my garmin...

If somebody finds an explorist on Otay, I want it back

More like 2...I was riding with Jon...

He broke his sub frame- I lost my GPS

I've used a GPS quit a bit to navigate routes in Mexico, Caif and Utah. I use a Garmin Map 76 Csx because everyone seems to use mapsorce and I'm not sure it works in other brands. I lost an ICO computer in Tecate about 15 years ago so if anyone finds it I want it back !

I had the exact opposite experience as Bikeslut, I never figured out my Magellan beyond the very basics, but my Garmin and I seem to get along much better. It did all the things the Garmin does but I guess I wasn't smart enough to figure out the menus. It's not hard to be smarter then me so I would suggest trying to figure it out and using it before spending money on another one. I know there are ways to convert the files to work with yours, but I will leave that to other people here.

My brother bought me the Magellan Explorist about 3 years ago. I am relatively new to using gps so is the Explorist any good at transfering trakes from other gps units or should I move on to another unit before I try learning how to use it?

No - move on to a Garmin 60 or 76 series.......

No - move on to a Garmin 60 or 76 series.......

Thanks.