Well, as we all know, I'm a cheapo, and I'd like to get some lights for night riding, primarily MTB, but also to throw in the pack for emergencies on the YZ. I know MTB specific lights are great, but they cost 200-400$ which is bull. I'm looking for something that is self mounted/velcro'd/attached to my bars or helmet for under 50$. Must be bright enough to ride comfortably at a 20mph pace at least. Will be mostly used in the summer for night XC training rides, and stupid jump sessions at night....

been looking here:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/headlamps.html

Any advice?

Thanks

Don't do it! Those lights you are looking at will not do what you need. Be smart and get the right light for the job. If you look on CL and EBay you will eventually find what you need at a price that is in your budget.

Kinda what I figured...they wouldn't even work for MTB?

What SHOULD I be looking for...may be willing to spend more, but it has to be a good light...the expensive lights are NOT worth it. I've ridden with my friends...just doesn't cut it.

I bought some Cygolite Nite Rover II LED MTB lites on Amazon last year. I got one for $89 and the next one for $75. These lites are very brite and would work as a back up for a MC lite also. I think they retail for $140 and are a good alternative to nite rider. They came from Niagara Cycle. Those hiking lites aren't gonna hack it.

TSR made up his own light kit for his quad, mounted to the handle bars. They have lasted for years now and he paid pennies compared to a brand name kit. Maybe he'll jump in here...or you could PM him. :ph34r:

Kinda what I figured...they wouldn't even work for MTB?

What SHOULD I be looking for...may be willing to spend more, but it has to be a good light...the expensive lights are NOT worth it. I've ridden with my friends...just doesn't cut it.

I have a suggestion for night riding:

Ride behind me.

If you ride in FRONT of fake name, you get a sunburned neck... his light is hella bright....

As for lighting for your YZ, you are going to have some challenges if you want your bike to power anything....

I have a small light you can have... it needs a 12V power source, but you can find some cheap ones you can throw in your pack

This light has two 50W bulbs, has an in line fuse.... I can hook it to a power source on my bikes...

at the risk of "I told you so".... just another case where the WR would've been a better choice for you... there; got that off my chest

NOW... riding at night on the YZ.... if it were me? I'd just slow down and ride the DR... and the light I have for you can be helmet mounted and supplement your headlight