ADV Bum

Nuetech Tubliss

I got to use my tubliss tire system today. So far I like it. It helped with traction in the sand. DEEP, DEEP wash sand still sucks, and will always. Fish Creek type sand or ordinary trail sand it really eats it up. It also did really well in the OH SHITE rocks that pop up just under the sand, or the unavoidable pinch flat rocks. It used to hear them clang off the rim. Now they are a deep thud as the tire sucks them up. I ran it in deep sand to try and break the rear wheel loose, nothing.

One thing I learned today is "Set it and forget it". I was really worried as Fakename said he had a failure, so I wanted to check my pressure on the trail. Checking the tire pressure is a piece of cake. Checking the high pressure inner rim tube was a pain the arse. Just checking will drop your pressure. The pump I have was adequate, but I think I will buy a much nicer and efficient high pressure pump. I will also carry a digital tire gauge to double check the mechanical.

I got to go and bash on the tubliss again this weekend. 2 days of deep sand, deep whoops at speed, and some jumping. Mind you I was not doing 20ft table tops. I was jumping little jumps and berms around camp. Getting the pig 6ft in the air and coming down hard on the tires. No failures, no loss of air. I had 14 in the tires the whole weekend. I kept getting surprised as the rear tire would really hook up in the sand. I would expect the usual spin, but then the bike would grab and leap forward.

ive been reading all the posts about this. Need to change my stock tires on my 450exc soon. What tires are you running out in the sand? I ride mainly octillo and pine valley. And I know everyone is different in bike and style. have to make a jump some time soon and you seem to have found what I desire. Any direction will help at this point.

I've got over 4000 miles on a tubliss rear with a myriad of tires on the rim. Currently i have an mt43 trials on the back and i have run it as low as 6 psi up at bass lake and have had no problems at all. Rode the trials tire all around the desert with 8 psi and i ride pretty hard and fast and have had not a hint of trouble. Great system if you ask me i love the traction afforded by low pressure and the ease of tire changes is a huge plus as well.

I agree with everything Hobiee said. I have 1500 miles on my front and rear setup. Have had 3 sets of tires on there and run as low as 5 pounds at times. No problems on the dirt or the asphalt. I have even put a set of street tires on and done a couple of Supermoto track days at Adams Cart Track with no issues.

Bumping this as many are having trouble with ridiculous amounts of flat/ tube changes. Dont want to hijack their threads.

I still love them and have had no issues. Did the bike camping ride. Lots of dirt then street back. No problems with any of it. Did not know how prolonged high speed on the street would be.

I think many more people have gone to tubliss with excellent results.

Jeff, the owner of Neutech is a terrific guy. I tried a set of the Tubliss and was left stranded.

Glad to know others are having better experience.

While I have never owned a tubless set up, I have been thinking about it. I have decided against it (at least for now). While riding in Death Valley, DigDug got a puncture close to a previous puncture and the tire could not be patched (plugged), so he had to remove the tubless and install a tube. It looked like a pain to remove the tubless, and it took up lots of room in his pack, lucky he had room for it.

So it looks like you need to carry spare tubes anyway, a plug/patch kit, plus a low and a high pressure gauge, one for the tubless and one for the tire (you could probably get by with just a high pressure gauge which would not give you an accurate low pressure reading).

I have seen guys run them with good luck, and others with not so much luck. I will have to pass for the time being.

Guest Crusty

I switched to Tubliss over a year ago after getting 3 flats, in one weekend at the Score Tecate San Felipe 250. I got a pinch flat, pre running the coarse, installed a new heavy duty tube. Twenty five miles later it popped due to a large cut in the tire. Installed another 30.00$ hd. tube that also popped. If I had Tubliss then I could have ridden on the flat tire because the bladder would still hold the tire on and even with no air the sidewall would be stiff enough to ride.

I got home and switched to Tubliss on my XR680 Adventure and my CR500 and LOVE THEM

I carry a front and rear bladder, a low pressure gage a high pressure bicycle pump that has a gage on it, 1 front tube and a plug kit.

I no longer get pinch flats, no more bent rims, I get a better ride, with more traction.

I did get a nail in my rear tire when I rode to Ensenada to watch the Baja 1000 that I fixed in less than 5 minutes with a plug.

Craig.

Crusty.

What rear rim are you running on the XR. Tubliss doesn't spec for my 2.5" rim on the 690.

Guest Crusty

Crusty.

What rear rim are you running on the XR. Tubliss doesn't spec for my 2.5" rim on the 690.

DID. 18"x 2.15"

Guest Crusty

Its fun to ride stuff like this with Tubliss, first time on this trail, missed a turn but no pinch flats.

I hit a rock once in a while, some you float over, some used to ding my rims and some pinch my tubes, not any more.

It sure is fun to be ROCKEN TUBLISS.coolio.gif

It sure is fun to be ROCKEN TUBLISS.coolio.gif

Nice video, and nice getoff !

While I have never owned a tubless set up, I have been thinking about it. I have decided against it (at least for now). While riding in Death Valley, DigDug got a puncture close to a previous puncture and the tire could not be patched (plugged), so he had to remove the tubless and install a tube. It looked like a pain to remove the tubless, and it took up lots of room in his pack, lucky he had room for it.

So it looks like you need to carry spare tubes anyway, a plug/patch kit, plus a low and a high pressure gauge, one for the tubless and one for the tire (you could probably get by with just a high pressure gauge which would not give you an accurate low pressure reading).

I have seen guys run them with good luck, and others with not so much luck. I will have to pass for the time being.

Ken, that was an absolute worse case scenario. Old (should have been changed a few hundred miles before that trip) tire. Second (golden BB) puncture, about 1/8 inch from the first, already plugged (and ridden for several hundred miles, including two national hare-and-hound races, with the plug in). Soft compound tire that wouldn't take two plugs next to each other, etc. And, as you saw, it was easily fixed by throwing in my spare tube. Heck, did you notice I rode that thing for a good 50 or so miles on the flat? Worked fine (felt funny, and I wouldn't want to go bashing in the rocks with no air, but it worked) to get me into the gas station. That's one of the beauties of the tubliss. You've got 360 degrees of rim-lock (as long as the inner liner doesn't let go) and can ride on a flat. Heck, I was up to 70-80 mph (where it was legal!) on a flat front tire and still had great control of the bike.

I do carry both gauges, but don't bother to check the inner-liner unless the tire seems to be leaking (indicating an incomplete seal). I also carry a small bicycle pump in case I need to inflate the inner liner (has to get up to 100psi), but I've never had to use it on the trail. Yeah, that inner-liner is a little unwieldy to put into my saddle bag - but it fit with a little twisting fold.

I've since picked up some rubber patches. You know, the big round, thick ones that stick to the inside of the tire itself. Sort of like tube patches, but thicker. They're designed for cars, and dirt-bike tires flex more, so I'm not sure how they'll work. A little too much work to put on while on the trail, so I'll stick to plugging them out there and patching them if I get the second puncture that can't be plugged.

Don't let my crappy luck in Death Valley dissuade you if you've been wanting to give them a shot!

Like Doug said, even though he had a tire failure (not tubliss) he could of ridden that back. Doug I carry those patches for the inner tire. I also carry alcohol wipes so that I can clean slime from the area so that the patch will stick. Glad you were not turned off by one fluke incident. I remember when you plugged that tire on the Polar bear ride. Your comment "That was the fastest tire repair I have ever done."