Sign in to follow this  
zee

3 Phoenix motorcycle riders killed in truck crash

very sad....not seeing one bike is something you can almost imagine and fear.... but how do you miss 8?....

that is unbelievable, my heart goes out to those bikers families and friends. that is painful as a biker to hear about....yet one more reason to always tell our loved ones that we love them every chance we get.

wise advise has been to "never let the sun set on you in a provoced state" or angry.

one more reminder to hang up the cell phones, put down the newspaper, put away the distractions, and pay attention when we are in our cages.

Getting struck from behind is not good - I always worry about being the last car at the light on a fast street. With the bike I always try to filter to the front. Something that is illegal in Arizona. Who knows if they could have split to the front? It is hard to do in big groups. Just be thankful that California allows us to do this - never allow them to make it illegal.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/search/oop/qf...HiliteType=Full

http://motorcycles.about.com/b/2010/03/19/...ery-revolts.htm

Getting struck from behind is not good - I always worry about being the last car at the light on a fast street. With the bike I always try to filter to the front. Something that is illegal in Arizona. Who knows if they could have split to the front? It is hard to do in big groups. Just be thankful that California allows us to do this - never allow them to make it illegal.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/search/oop/qf...HiliteType=Full

http://motorcycles.about.com/b/2010/03/19/...ery-revolts.htm

i agree i ALWAYS split to the front, it allows me to control my environment rather than stay vulnerable to others bad driving choices and habits

Is it legal to bypass cars at a traffic stop, such as by border patrol or at a stop light. It doesn't seem like lane splitting. It seems like taking cuts in line. What does the CA law say?

Is it legal to bypass cars at a traffic stop, such as by border patrol or at a stop light. It doesn't seem like lane splitting. It seems like taking cuts in line. What does the CA law say?

cali law says lane splitting is legal in traffic and at lights. my experience is that it is safer in the long run. whether im in traffic or at a stop light i think if im stuck in the middle of cars and im mired in traffic i am vulnerable being surrounded by cages. but if i split lanes then i am controling MY environment. im watching the cars as IM passing them and i can move with them if they move over. if im surrounded THEY are in control of my space.

same at lights, if i split thru, when the light turns green i accellerate away quicker than the cars then i am out again controlling my surroundings not being submerged in THEIR world waitin for one of them to do something stupid.

some people disagree but i have been street riding almost 30years and this has worked for me....so far :lol:

If you weave through stopped traffic, and come to the front at stop light, where would you stop if the light is still red? Is it OK to stop with a car already in a lane?

cali law says lane splitting is legal in traffic and at lights. my experience is that it is safer in the long run. whether im in traffic or at a stop light i think if im stuck in the middle of cars and im mired in traffic i am vulnerable being surrounded by cages. but if i split lanes then i am controling MY environment. im watching the cars as IM passing them and i can move with them if they move over. if im surrounded THEY are in control of my space.

same at lights, if i split thru, when the light turns green i accellerate away quicker than the cars then i am out again controlling my surroundings not being submerged in THEIR world waitin for one of them to do something stupid.

some people disagree but i have been street riding almost 30years and this has worked for me....so far :lazy:

If i understand the law correctly; you don't "split lanes" you "share lanes".. pull up to the limit line and share the lane... then take off faster than them and have the lane all to yourself

unless you're on a 250cc bike or less, then let them take off faster than you :lazy:

So... if a motorcyclist ran down a group of pedestrians, it would be a biker story... why is this not a dump truck story? Would anybody consider dump truck drivers a menace? He was an individual, right?

Also; how do you miss that much chrome and noise? Not trying to be flip about it (much) but would've have been any easier to see a minivan? How do you not see 8 bikes?

In any case; it's tragic, and the sad truth is; a lot of people will consider this another case of motorcycles being unsafe... people don't understand why anybody would choose to ride anything except a 4 star crash-rated car

From the way the article read he would have hit what ever was in front of him it just happened to be a bunch of motorcycles.

From the way the article read he would have hit what ever was in front of him it just happened to be a bunch of motorcycles.

Like here. Passengers in the car as well as motorcyclist were killed.

Another accident a few years ago

Time for that guy to quit driving a vehicle, unless there was a mechanical malfunction.