rexr

Delorme PN-40

So for absolutely no reason other than curiosity I ordered a Delorme PN-40 today.

I have been using a Garmin 60Csx for several years now and absolutely LOVE it. Although it has been replaced under warranty 4 times for various reasons but they have replaced it each time without question so that says a lot.

However after being very unhappy with the price and performance of a Nuvi 785t that I bought a year ago and a recent computer upgrade that forced me to call Garmin Support to get my maps reactivated on the new computer made me wonder what else was out there. In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, Garmin has lost there drive and are resting on their reputation. The new products they are putting out are just not up to par at lease not for someone looking for more that just basic use. Also quite frankly their customer service leaves a LOT to be desired.

Now again.. I LOVE the Garmin 60Csx hardware so I am by no means bashing Garmin. They make a good product but I am just tired of paying for overpriced map updates and dealing with their poor customer service and want to know if there is any completion out there.

Anyway I will be using this thread to share my experiences with the Delorme Unit and compare it to the 60Csx for those of you that are interested.

Follow along if you like.

Following. Although I found their cust service outstanding for a repair under warranty. No experience with software/update issues. Looking forward to "hearing" about the new toy.

Following. Although I found their cust service outstanding for a repair under warranty. No experience with software/update issues. Looking forward to "hearing" about the new toy.

Agreed on the warranty.. I have had the 60Csx replaced four times under warranty. 3 of the times were due to rubbing the buttons off the front of the thing while it was mounted in the center of my bars. Hence the reason I run it on the side now..

My issues are with the 20+ minute wait EVERY time I call and the cost and complexity of managing their maps. I am constantly reloading operating system and changing laptops.. its the nature of my business so I am probably a challenging customer. It just frustrates me to no end that I have to call them EVERY time to get the maps to unlock when I get a new computer.

Again.. Not a Garmin bash as I am VERY happy with my 60Csx. Just looking to find out first hand if the PN-40 is indeed a worthy competitor for the Garmin.

rexr,

Thanks for taking the plunge. The Delorme product looks intereting.

Do they offer Rescue Insurance similar to GEOS for $13?

I've had the PN-40 for a while. I have a 32 GB card in it and have stored imagery and topo files for everywhere I ride.

I do think the menu navigation of the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS that I have is better, as is its search and routing. Maybe the PN-40 can do all the same tricks as the 60CS, but I've not found a way to do it yet.

All in all though I'm happy with the PN-40.

I also got the XMap software along with the Topo 8 SW, which I have to spend some quality time with to figure out how to use. The reason I got the PN-40 and the XMap software was to be able to create my own maps. It's always bothered me that I can't find a decent map with the trails and washes that we ride frequently already in there. Figured I'd have to make my own, and supposedly you can do it with these tool.

The Garmin on the other hand only uses its proprietary maps.

Thanks, something else that I want, but don't need!

One thing that I'm a little bummed about is the RAM cradle for this looks looks like it would still require a ziptie for added security; similar to the garmin 60 units. It also grabs the pn-40 by the antenna which might hold it better, but not sure I like that idea in a crash.

Maybe I'll cash in some of my REI credit.

Funny. I first bought the PN-40 last year as my first GPS for riding. Read so much about Garmin and their heavy handed approach to mapping. That, combined with the outstanding mapping and imagery support for such a low price drove me to Delorme.

So, tried it a few times (RAM mount much better for PN-40 than 60Cx, btw) and the complexity of the software (some say capability) frustrated me and I couldn't figure out how to use the Topo Software! I guess Delorme made the Topo 8 software so powerful that I just couldn't figure it out. So, that combined with the lack of Apple Mac support on Delorme drove me to Garmin and a 60Cx. Now trying to figure that out and get smart on it.

I like/hate the capability of Topo, but like the Mac software/hate the mapping issues of Garmin.

How does that old song go? Torn between two GPSs, feeling like a fool. Trying to learn both of them is tearing me in two!

I got the PN-40 but have not had a chance to really play with it yet. I do see how the Topo 8 software can be overwhelming but I am looking forward to digging into it. I have downloaded some aerial images and really dig that but we will see how well it works on the GPS itself. I will update this thread as I get an opportunity to mess around with the GPS and Topo Maps.