klondike300

Harbor Freight bike hauler?

Anyone used/own the Harbor Freight version of a Joe Hauler? Seems like it might be worth a try at $179 versus what a Joe, even used, is going for. Might head down the El Cajon and check out the quality of it tomorrow after work.

They are listed at $129 and I tried to buy one today from the Yuma HF. They didn't have it in stock, but ordered it for me and I will pick it up next weekend. If you look in Dirt Bike mag, they also have a 20% off one item coupon that I intend to use. At that price, it is almost disposable.

Seems like it will work well, from what I have seen of the demo model, but I will let you know next week if you don't get it before then.

Jim

Looks very similar to This One

The ramp stores 'tween the bike and the truck and is a little different. Mine works well but it is not a smooth on/off like a Joe Hauler (due to the ladder style). The front & rear wheel drop between the ladder rungs so there's a little lifting/pull back needed to get it rolling.

Not a huge deal but not smooth...unhook & roll.

I like HF's ramp hook spot. On mine, the ramp lays over the top and the rear tire rests against it. A little twisting to get it out. I fixed that by putting it on the lower spot. Works fine.

I don't know what all the tie downs are about on HF's ad. One each from the handlebars squats both front & rear suspension & it's solid. I do put a safety strap over the bike to the truck just in case.

The ad in the bike mag is what prompted me. I always forget about Harbor Freight for some reason. Maybe because the nearest one back home is 40 + miles away. I may pop into El Cajon today and see if they have one in stock.

I built my moto carrier and it is HEAVY solid steel. Have been debating on finding an alluminum lighter weight carrier.......

But, looking at the picture of the Harbor Freight model......is that it for the ramp? looks to be only about 2.5' long. May be less strain to load my carrier on my truck than load my bike with a short ramp. (unless I park next to a hill)

I have the AMC-400 and quite happy. The assembly was easy and took about 30 minutes. So far it has held my bike with no issues.

I purchased mine thru at Amazon.com. I was surprised, they offer quite a few motorcycle products.

Here is the link for the AMC-400. There are also similar type manufacturers. You might want to scroll down to "similar" products"

Also Amazon is listing the AMC-400 for $99.99, but does not include shipping. When I purchased mine it included shipping(it was a special).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url...orcycle+carrier

So I bought the HF model. Got it for something like $110 after the 20% off coupon. Not completely happy with it.

1. It seems to rock side-to-side a bit. I have to assume this is because the receiver is ever so slightly bigger than the tongue. It goes up and down at the far ends about 6". Not real solid when you load the bike up. The passenger side drops when the weight of the front wheel hits the ramp. Then the drivers side drops when the front wheel get over to that side.

2. I have D606 tires on and it is too big to get the "safety" bar through, as the tire/wheel doesn't sit low enough in the gap. I can just use a strap to secure the wheel to the rack.

3. Concerned it may rock to much side to side (front wheel up and down, not toward the truck and back) as I'm driving down the road. Haven't road tested it yet.

4. The ramp secures on the outside of the rack, not between the truck and rack.

Anti Tilt 'nother pic

Mine came with this to stop the rocking motion of the carrier. Wouldn't be too hard to make something similar out of channel or angle iron. Can't see it on the pic but there are bolts on the bottom that hold it in place. They work marginally so I use a bungee cord to hold it securely. It's always going to rock a little but cut the opening as tight as you can to minimize it.

The anti tilt feature is one of the reasons why I bought a Joehauler, only theirs is a built in feature that adjusts with a big wrench and really stops almost all excess movement. The economy is so bad right now that Joe had to go to work welding for some other company. It's not good when your own great product won't sell enough to keep you afloat financially. :blink:

Nine months and working fine - Joe Hauler Anti-Flex model. I wonder; is Joe is making them on the side? His shop had a ton of expensive metal working equipment. Is that still there?

592486520_Fwh59-L.jpg

And while we are on this issue, Has anyone used the articulated, hydraulic jack bikestand type of carrier? Still mounts on the receiver. These would be lots easier to store. There seems to be a range of opinions on TT

Joehauler is still there, but Joe has to work somewhere else. The place has condensed and still has a couple of employees. I bought a used hauler there a couple of months ago, after I wadded my original one on a dirt bank on the of McCain Valley road. They modified it, raised it and added the stabilizer on it, then I took it home and added a fresh coat of hammertone black paint to it. Looks like new, and is better than the original model that I bought from them a few years ago. :blink:

My hauler is great, paid less than $200 for it a couple years ago. All alluminum, a big bolt secures it tightly to the hitch so no sloppy mounting, doesn't use shitty tiedowns to keep your bike on, compresses both ends about 1" instead of compressing the H out of the forks.

http://www.addabike.com/

I use one strap wrapped around the frame and the vertical riser for peace of mind.

Pasta,

Very nice hauler, but also a very nice price. If I could pick one up for $200 today, I would!

Thanks for the link.

My hauler is great, paid less than $200 for it a couple years ago. All alluminum, a big bolt secures it tightly to the hitch so no sloppy mounting, doesn't use shitty tiedowns to keep your bike on, compresses both ends about 1" instead of compressing the H out of the forks.

http://www.addabike.com/

I use one strap wrapped around the frame and the vertical riser for peace of mind.

Thanks! Think I will order one tonight!

Looks like you can buy one HERE for $37.00

Oh yeah. I had no idea what their price was. I found mine through an online retailer.