xxxinsd

minimum age req for passengers

I have been trying to find out the minimum age a passenger can be to ride on a motorcycle. I have run into many diffrent V.C. s all about child restraints and car seat laws but none to relate to motorcycles. is it like the basic speed law to be inturpeted diffrently for each child? Any L.E.O.s know the awnser? please help a very jeolous little girl is beggin me for the awnser...B

Wow....there doesn't seem to be anything in the DMV motorcycle manual about age or size requirements of motorcycle passengers. :D

I rode on my dad's bike since I was 4, as long as they're helmeted and smart, cops don't care. As a general rule, I'd say if they can ride a 50/70/100 without training wheels, they're good to go.

My oldest rode around with me at the start of 5. My neighbor is a CHP and he said as long as they can touch the pegs and you can buy pegs that adjust up or down, for street bikes. Kuryakn makes pegs that adjust. I quit riding Conner around as a kid when he was quite for a while and I felt his grip start to loosen and figured out just in time that he dozed off. :D

Last year on our vacation in Oregon, we saw a guy we a car seat attached to the back rest of his Harley. The kid looked about 2. I should of took a picture because it looked pretty funny.

Footpegs, helmets, sit behind driver

I did a bunch of reading and this is what I came up with.

AMA says no minimum age: AMA

CHP doesn't say either way: CHP

Sounds crazy but with all of the restrictions/child restraint devices required in motor vehicles, get 'em a helmet, make sure their feet reach the pegs (debate if you can alter the peg location but nothing found sayin' ya can't) and off ya go.

THANKS GUYS YOU ROCK! Thanks Ken for doing the reading i couldn't even find that.. thanks all. she will be very happy..

I've heard of many a dad taking a large belt or webbing belt and putting it around the kid and you to make sure you are not just relying on their grip

she has been around bikes all her life and now has 2. she is 8 and has been riding with me on dirt since 1. i am more worried about her freaking out with the police giving me a ticket and having to have someone pick her up. she has a tendancy to think its her fault or she did something wrong when rangers or blm stop her to say hi or shake us down. Im more worried about others than her losing grip. she will be very happy if i can take her to micky d's on the new bike. thanks again.....B

I've heard of many a dad taking a large belt or webbing belt and putting it around the kid and you to make sure you are not just relying on their grip

I have done this with 2 belts to get a very drunk passenger girlfriend home from Ensenada on several occasions on the back of my Harley. Ahhhh the good ol days.