Chief Gunner

BRP (XR650R / XR650L) tuning and Maintnenacce day

Just wanted to post a few lines up.

Bachoedoc being the mechanical, intelligentt and great guy he is, educated me and helped me and Mike dial our Pigs in with the vale adjustments. I toatally noticed a huge difference in the way my bike was running. No more popping ehaust sounds and no more engine hesitation.

I can easily wheeelie in 1st, and 2nd again and I can pull the occasion wheelie in 3rd (if I shift my weight back far enough on the saddle of course).

You guys that could not make it missed out on some good hot linkls & burgers too. Here is the best part though.....

Today re-affired to me why I ride with you guys, here are a few reasons why:

#1 NOBODY GETS LEFT BEHIND!

#2 WE TAKE CARE OF EACH OTHER!

#3 WE RIDE RESPONSIBLY!

#4 WE ARE POLITE, COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFULL!

#5 WE ARE ALWAYS READY TO LEND A HELPING HAND TO EACH OTHER AND TO ANYONE ELSE IN NEED.

#6 WE LOVE TO RIDE, ACCEPT CHALLENGES AND OVECOME OBSTACLES

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

ANYTIME ANYWHERE!

GUNNER

Always an adventure!

Even though we made the most of it, it is never good when a rider goes down.

We met up at Gunners Casa for cleaning and maintenance.

The beauty of it all is we all learn from each other.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mikeyb stopped by but could not ride due to prior engagements, Chief Gunner, Stevensyanora, Backhoe doc, xr650l bum, papa Alex, Santa Fe Dreamin, Joliet & myself headed out for another adventure.

Posted Image

This is never a good site. Rounding a corner and seeing, well you know, a rider down!

I guess It was broken bones, form another post. Broken bones

Posted Image

Gunner rode back and retrieved his truck. We waited and conferted the down rider.

Posted Image

After the rider was off to the hospital we continued on a shorten ride back to Chief's Casa.

Hot links & burgers, Bonfire and beer. We tried to make the best of a bad situation.

Healup Santa Fe Dreamin, We will ride again soon. :blink:

Then I had an “OH S*^$” moment.

I've had some of those. :blink:

I'm sorry to hear you got hurt. I didn't get a chance to meet you at the maintenance day – I showed up late – but it's always bad to hear when a rider gets injured. Heal up soon. Hope to see you on a ride in a few months.

So what happened to Santa Fe Dreamin' ? From the photo, looks like he just laid it down. How badly hurt is he ?

Santa Fe, wish you a speedy recovery. Didn't you know that "Crashin' Sucks" ! :blink:

Post Edited....OK, disregard, I just read the report on the other link.

Santa Fe, if you want to come out for the BBQ dinner at the Desert Dash ride, your dinner is on me.

Chief Gunner, it was a pleasure meeting you and your family. Thank you for the food and drinks and making us feel at home. Very nice place you have there.

Santa Fe Dreamin, I am glad it wasn't worse than it was. This was my first ride back after 8 weeks off with a knee injury and I am still not healed. Sounds like you will fare better. You had on all the proper gear and I commend you for that.

It was nice to meet some of you other guys and put faces with the names, and always great to see my other friends again. I am looking forward to riding with you all soon. Ken

Thanks to all for the kind words. We gotta do this again!

Sante Fe Dreamin, Like 2Wheels said, Don't be too hard on yourself man. I've been there & know how it feels. Once you get healed up we can do a trip out to Ocitillo with some of the guys and do our own version of a "Riding Clinic".

I am always willing to listen and learn from the more experienced riders myself. Many of these guys can ride circles around me, and I am absolutely cool with that. I know I have improved my riding skills by listening to them and watching them when we ride.

I think a get-together for some structured drills, technical practice and some group riding techniques would be a great idea.

Would some of you "Jedi Masters" in this group be willing to take some "grasshoppers" under your wings for an afternoon or two and help them improve their skills?

Again, thanks to all that came by and I am sorry that we missed a few of you.

I look forward to doing a meet & greet with a ride soon.

There was talk about getting a whole pig and doing up a Hawaiin style pit roast one of these days..... :angry:

Gunner

Thanks to Chief Gunner for having an excellent get together. He took the time to go back and take care of Sante fe Dreamin! He also took the time to cook and have food ready when we finally made it back. Damn nice!!

Gunner your bike looked awesome. I would like to add "King of Bling" to your title. Nice bike!

Backhoedoc was awesome to show us the valve adjustment routine! Just to let you guys know there is a specific method to checking the valves. I read my manual and redid the adjustments Sunday. All ticking gone.

Sante fe Dreamin! Ouch! Once again the Bum comes up with a misdiagnosis! Pretty soon they will take away my Medical License. Get well and we will give it another go!

Thanks to everyone. It was nice meeting more of you. See you on the next ride!

Gunner your bike looked awesome. I would like to add "King of Bling" to your title. Nice bike!

Gunner's bike is so clean that he must make his Kids clean the Bike with a toothbrush after his rides! :angry:

Posted Image

That was great! Damn; seriously though, I'm tough on my girls but not that tough. 18 years of working around explosive ordnance and equipmen that goes "BOOM" has made me a "Clean Freak" and unlike my some of comrades in the Corps and Army I do not have PTSD just OCD and CRS (can't remember ----).

Ha!

Gunner

:angry: It's never good to hear about one of our brothers taking a nasty fall. Heal well, Santa Fe Dreamin', I'll be looking forward to riding with you when you're ready :(

I think a get-together for some structured drills, technical practice and some group riding techniques would be a great idea.

Those of you who have ridden with me (and watched me crash on the simplest stuff :( ) know that I am by no means qualified to put on a clinic. I have, however, taken a lesson or two from people who are qualified, and I would be happy to impart that which a had gleaned from them. B) If that sounds good, let's start a new thread on it (maybe target a date after SF Dreamin' is better?).

Meanwhile, what about finishing the ride that was supposed to be? I'm up for a ride this weekend...

For any of you that are really "new" to dirty riding, I HIGHLY recommend seeking the Dirt Bike School (DBS) from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). I have the Instructor Guide here at home, but missed the course this year, so I can't "legally" teach it. It might seem silly for someone who's "been riding all my life" to take a course like this (or ATV, or BRC), but you'd be SURPRISED at what details you pick up.

I've been riding ATV's for years and then decided to add Instructor to my resume. I took the instructor course back in Dec up at Camp Pendelton with Kevin Frantum. Kevin has been teaching dirt, street, and ATV for over 15 years to military and civilian alike. He's been riding and racing for much longer! Right about the time you think you know something, he schools you in an ever-so-polite way! Kevin also teaches PRIVATE courses out at Ocotillo Wells. He's got a nice white trailer with his logo all over it (sorry, can't recall the name).

Unlike us spoiled military folks, you taxpayers will have to pay for this type of course. Cost is MINIMAL and worth every penny. If you're truly interested, let me know and I'll get the info.

Ride SAFE!

Jim