paulmbowers

Saturday, January 30th N00bish Ride

Wil.....don't know where you're referring to, but check FN's Otay Meeting Spot map link. It's all the way down 125 to 905/Otay Mesa Rd. It's not the campground entrance.

We'll be topping off at the truck stop at the 125/905 intersection. As my Dad said on the Bar 10 ride "it's a little gas but it represents a long walk"

Is it safe to leave a vehicle at the Otay meeting spot? Or is it just best to meet at your place.

I think the Otay spot is fine- that's why I picked it. I would leave my truck there. But i completely wash my hands of any responsibility, too.

I'm a chicken that way!

See everyone tomorrow morning- Mimi- you should show up!

I'll be going tomorrow, I may leave early though. Any idea on the length of the ride?

Depends on conditions and attitude. If all goes smoothly, it could be an all-day. But there are plenty of bail-outs, especially for east county folk.

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6307

Beez....it's hidden in this report. Wish I could figure out the "link" thing. Sorry folks.

Also, if ur not familiar with it, it appears this will not be a "truck in" ride unless you want to truck to 94 & Jamacha (Rancho Theater/TGI Fridays lot) and ride from there. The 125 toll road is $4.50 each direction and the machines don't make change. Should just be the one way (south) as the ride will dump onto 94.

Correct me if I'm wrong, FN.

Monument "250". Got it. Thanks.

Why is it a noobish ride? Are you bringing along a slow friend??

I think it's helpful to our club to offer rides geared to newer riders- I know it was done for me and it's part of, if you will, the club ethos.

I get schooled by the better riders all the time <cough>flagstaff<cough>, and I do my best to introduce newer folks to the sport in a reasonably safe way. Also, the nature of this trip is mostly about sightseeing- the terrain is not terribly challenging, and we're not far from civilization at any time. The pace will be set for the most cautious rider, and a more experienced rider may be, well, a little bored.

Most of the rides I like are hard and fast, with very rare stops- this is not one of those.

Make sense?

Thanks! As a very noobish rider I appreciate it, even though I couldn't make this ride. I look forward to joining up on other noobish rides in the future.

Zarah

And this would have been a great ride for you, Zarah. I'll file the ride report asap.

so what are the chances of making this trip again? :lol:

I am interested too. Any GPS tracks to post?

i didn't have my gps on, but it was a pretty easy to remember route.

so what are the chances of making this trip again? :lol:

I am interested too. Any GPS tracks to post?

i didn't have my gps on, but it was a pretty easy to remember route.

I have the track. PM me your email address and I will send it to you tonight.

The road is probably do-able with a 4wd, but I think it will hasten it's closure. A bike now and then will probably not matter much, but anyone pushing a 4wd down there will likely increase the chance of a full closure.

It would be unfortunate.

I think we've been lucky so far, and would hate to see other lose the chance to ride this area.