skincer

Fun Bike Center, Bike Fit

I think I'm going to head over to FBC after work today to sit on some bikes and see if I can get a feel for the weight and height of various models. Is there a salesperson anyone would recommend in terms of being knowledgeable of dual-sport bikes (especially from a beginner's perspective) and pleasant to deal with?

In terms of a bike fitting you, should you be able to stand over it flat footed or on your tip toes ... or is it only required that you're able to do one of these with your weight on the seat (I don't know how much the suspension compresses when you sit on the bike)? Any other tips on how a bike should fit?

Thanks.

Steve

Steve I will be in the area of fun bike center today post atime to meet and i'll meet you there, the doc.

AMA

SDORC

SDAR

KLR650

RIDE SAFE AND HAVE FUN

BACKHOEDOC Brian

lowering links_ some bikes have suspension linkage that has two options... I think the DR650 fits in to this category.

kouba links are available for quite a few bikes, as well.

skincer- If you have experience with street bikes, a 200 will probably leave you underwhelmed after a short while. and i didnt read the link, but assume it is somewhat negative about FBC... in which case, I agree.

I've had pretty good luck with MotoWorld of El Cajon for what thats worth. For your first dirt bike, getting a "fit" at a dealer, then buying a used bike makes a lot of sense. backhoedoc- very nice to offer to meet him over there... this site has a great bunch of guys.

www.koubalink.com

I think I'm going to head over to FBC after work today to sit on some bikes and see if I can get a feel for the weight and height of various models. Is there a salesperson anyone would recommend in terms of being knowledgeable of dual-sport bikes (especially from a beginner's perspective) and pleasant to deal with?

In terms of a bike fitting you, should you be able to stand over it flat footed or on your tip toes ... or is it only required that you're able to do one of these with your weight on the seat (I don't know how much the suspension compresses when you sit on the bike)? Any other tips on how a bike should fit?

Thanks.

Steve

Be very careful at FBC. They have earned there less than positive reputation over many years.

:unsure:

Guest huskey4me

I bought one Honda CR80 and one Kawasaiki 110 from FBC; one CRF150 and Kawasaki Ninja from Motoworld in el Cajon; one KTM 300 EXC and a Honda CT70 (CT70 from EL Cajon) from Quincey in Lemon Grove, and my TE450 Husqvarna from GP San Diego...

First time I got the CR80 at FBC when they had the small building, it was a pleasant experience. My friend got a honda CRF230 and got it without oil (found out while riding it at Corral Canyon). My second experience when I got my Kawi was not that good. The sales person was arrogant, did not want to take my offer to his boss, and acted like he did not care to sell the bike. The parts dept. was arrogant. The lady in the apparel sections is always nice.. The week before I got the Kawi, I met the owner of FBC walking around (a man on his 80s). He was very talkative, and I enjoyed his stories.. He told me to ask for someone when I got my bike in order to get a good deal. When I mentioned his name to the sales person, he laughed with much misrepsect for the owner.. that was not nice... so I would not buy anything from them...(unless it's a super deal, then I don't care) :D

Quincy in Lemon Grove was fair.. but gave me my KTM with overly rich fuel mixture, lots of smoke... they did not seem to know much... never were very helpful.. if I get another KTM I'm going to ask KTMrad for his advise (i think theres a dealership in north county). :D

Motoworld was fair, and service dept. was not bad.. The CRF 150 I got my son would not start, so I took it there... They tried their best to help me but the bike kept on doing the same thing.. I read the first CRF 150's had an issue with cold starts (take you 20 minutes in the cold)... that's why Honda now has them electric start.. :unsure:

My best experience has been with GP European Bikes on G street. Josh is a super nice sales person, very helpful and knows his stuff... They did not try to add extra charges here and there like jap bike dealerships, it was the most pleasant experience. The main mechanic Paul is super helpful and cordial... never had a problem with them and I highly recommed them... :D:D

By the way, I'm Martin but lost my password for husky4me (hopefully will get back to that user name)

FBC............ Uhgggggg!!! :blink:

ditto :blink:

Another FBC victim here B) ;

mentioned it before, they do not get my buisness.

Skincer; If you go shopping for gear try looking at CMC and Cycle Gear, they beat the big dealerships on prices for just about any piece of gear, tools and parts.

Enjoy the new bike!

I agree, FBC sucks!

For Gear, go to San Diego Sportcycles. Very knowledgable and they got alot of stuff/Especially Dual Sport stuff. I think they even started carring OEM parts for Japanese bikes?

Another FBC victim here B) ;

mentioned it before, they do not get my buisness.

Ditto on FBC -

Bad Service

Bad Sales

Bad Attitude

Big new building with same a-holes playing around inside.

Last time I tried to do business with them, I felt I was interupting their social hour.

I'm only a customer but my money walks elsewhere.

If I have an option, it is Motoworld of El Cajon or San Diego SportCycles.

Both have gone out of their way to be helpful on relatively small sales and followed through on the larger stuff.

They've earned my loyalty for a local shops.

Semper Fi

Troutte

Ya, I had my bike for a factory service @FBC once and asked them to give it to the tech that loved kawi's. they laughed at me like I was an idiot, explaining that all their techs hate kawi's and that I should too. I love my kawi, and those guys are a bunch of arrogant aholes. Pretty sad.

One good thing is they have TONS of new bikes on the floor, so that's pretty cool.

South Bay MotorSports in Chula Vista recently moved to a new two story building. This place is huge and they have alot of bikes. You can check them out-Interstate 805 south to Main street and then head east. About 1 mile on the left. They also support SDAR with give-aways at the Desert Dash ride every year!

It's good to see I'm not the only guy who dislikes FBC. How do they stay in business? Anyone here with a positive about FBC?

No offense to anyone here, but they survive on bike sales to n00bs and people with more money than time. I ALMOST bought my ZX-11 there, but eventually left based on the salemans attitude... he wanted to race me with his V Max, as far as I could tell... right there on the sales floor.

As Troy said, they have alot of bikes on the floor (havent been to the new one yet, but hear its awesome), they advertise a lot, and get the new guys...

+1 for MotoWorld- They need to add Suzuki to their lineup

I have to throw a bone to ECC in Escondido/San Marcos. In sales, ask for Roy.He's a personal friend ... he'll hook you up.......

It's good to see I'm not the only guy who dislikes FBC. How do they stay in business? Anyone here with a positive about FBC?

Oh yeah... THEY POSITIVELY SUCK

+1 for MotoWorld- They need to add Suzuki to their lineup

[/quote

Does MotoWorld also offer Helicopter support? Sorry Bob, couldnt resist.

As I watched the helicopter circling above... I KNEW it would be fodder for would- be comedians for years to come... you're welcome...

here's more... as they dragged me in to the chopper, I fell like a sack of potatoes... on to a MALE sheriff... my head laying on his leg... I felt so bad, I didn't even MOVE... I closed my eyes, and let them pick ants off me

I fell like a sack of potatoes... on to a MALE sheriff... my head laying on his leg...

Well............

Um......

OK, then. I know a few Sheriffs. Good looking fellows.

It sounds like you all come through Ramona on a regular basis. There is a KTM dealership, All American KTM at 872 Main Street. The owners are Dave and RJ. I take my KLR in for regular maintenance and tire changes, and have never been disappointed by either the quality of the work or the cost.

The last time I was in, they were talking about turning around an engine head before the next race. I got the impression that they sponsor a few race teams, which means their mechanics know their way around a bike.

When the business first opened, I worried about them making it. The last time I was in, they had bikes and ATVs lined up almost out the door, waiting for repairs. They also plan on adding additional lines of bikes to their inventory, but I'm not sure who they are talking with. I think they mentioned that it costs about a half-million dollars to bring in a manufacturer. They specialize in dirt and dual sport.

There are usually a few KTM 950s on the floor to drool over. When the KLR finally dies in 20 to 30 years, I'll give serious consideration to turning orange.

Finally, a quick addition to the "no" list: House of Motorcycles on El Cajon Boulevard. When I picked up my new bike, there were several major pieces missing, including the nut holding the swingarm onto the frame. Lucky for me, the bolt stayed in place for the few hundred miles it took me to realize that the naked bolt end was not a Kawasaki mounting point for aftermarket hardware.

Sad but true... House of Motorcycles has gone down hill... BUT... on the bright side... they opened another store in North County!

I also like All American KTM in Ramona. I hope now that Motorword is starting to carry KTMs it doesn't hurt their business too much.

I also have a friend that just bought Vey's in Lakeside so check them out. Tell them Tree sent you. They don't have much inventory yet other then fluids but they can order you anything if you can wait. :D

I also have a friend that just bought Vey's in Lakeside so check them out. Tell them Tree sent you. They don't have much inventory yet other then fluids but they can order you anything if you can wait. :D

Important point- If we can support the local, smaller, shops, and we start having an "identity" as SDAR with these shops, we are likely to get better service... I would think... I know I would if I ran a small business...

Tree- Where exactactly, is Vey's? I'm in Alpine, and normally make the run all the way down to Motoworld...I feel just a LITTLE out of place at the Biker Shack in Alpine... the black and orange flames painted all over the building, and all the chrome V twins outside, just don't scream "your dual sport headquarters" to me.

I also like All American KTM in Ramona

Our group of six 950s liked them at first but never got over a few things they said and did. They wanted to get our 950 repair business so lied about being 950 dealers, which they were not. I found this out at KTM corporate, who was very upset at what we were being told. Each of us who used their shop have horror stories.

They refused to perform the head bolt & other service bulletins on my bike. A head gasket later failed & KTM paid for the entire repair, as well as other issues resulting from their mispractice. My front axle nut (aluminum) with a factory torque value of 44 lbs was tightened at over 135 lbs. That's just two of my stories.

Roger's rear axle nut was on so tight that it would have literally been impossible to effect a tube repair in the field, not to mention they badly scarred his rim installing rubber. He had to go back three times once, & finally gave up.

Their's no excuse for the multiple serious shop errors that occurred. But even if I had cut them 100% slack in that department, it doesn't matter, because when you lie to me, your toast!

I am SO relieved that Motoworld is now KTM & will be a 950 dealer soon.

O.Key... now I'm confused.. :D If I want to look into purchasing and servicing a new 990 Adventure, what's your recommendation?? Motoworld in North County?? Any comments about the dealership in Morena Pl S.D. ??