Chief Gunner

Tweak the beast and a run up the backside of El Cap

Since there is going to be alot of 650l's at this thing, I would like to know how many would like to make some case savers for their bike. I was going to bring some aluminum and my 4 inch diamond blade w/grinder. I made some for the right side yesterday. Not hard, just takes a little time! You wont be able to mount. Jb weld will need time to dry, but you would have some in hand! Chime in if you want me to bring it. Or wait for Manglers factory made set up!

When I saw yours, I made some for the dented left side. Then Dualsport Dad saw a dent in the same place and was going to do his as well.

Are you bringing the tubes, do I need to stop at the ATM?? :unsure:

Since there is going to be alot of 650l's at this thing, I would like to know how many would like to make some case savers for their bike. I was going to bring some aluminum and my 4 inch diamond blade w/grinder. I made some for the right side yesterday. Not hard, just takes a little time! You wont be able to mount. Jb weld will need time to dry, but you would have some in hand! Chime in if you want me to bring it. Or wait for Manglers factory made set up!

Hey Mike

I would totally dig one for my clutch side until i get the others made! I can do the legwork if you bring the goods! Thanks

My saturday is pretty booked, but i will try to at least swing by for a chat and some grub.

My bike is having some issues so i might bring my truck to show Jim (marbee)

Thanks

Aaron,

what is the time for departure...I have no wrenching business to do...I'll just show up for chats 30 minutes before we all leave for a ride. :unsure:

see all

Papa

what is the time for departure...I have no wrenching business to do...I'll just show up for chats 30 minutes before we all leave for a ride. :unsure:

I would GUESS that since wrenching almost ALWAYS goes longer then planned, pinpointing a departure time would be tough!

This is from personal experience! :D

Can I get an address and a time? Is there anything that you need me to bring Chief Gunner?

:unsure: Guys; Feel free to bring whatever you would like, If we need more food or anything we can always make a quick run down the street to Albertsons .

See ya

Gunner

:unsure: Guys; Feel free to bring whatever you would like, If we need more food or anything we can always make a quick run down the street to Albertsons .

See ya

Gunner

Gunner,

I'm out! I just woke up! Long night. Sorry bro. I told ya Sunday was a better day for me! :-)

Have fun!

Jim

It looks like I missed you guys. I saw a bunch of dual sport bikes heading south on 2nd Street at Broadway in El Cajon at about 12:30 on my way to Lakeside. Gunner, I continued on to your place just to be sure, but it looked like everyone was gone when I got there. Oh well – I lose out – but there's always next time. The last maintenance day was all wrenching all day long. I thought this one would be the same.

It looks like I missed you guys. I saw a bunch of dual sport bikes heading south on 2nd Street at Broadway in El Cajon at about 12:30 on my way to Lakeside. Gunner, I continued on to your place just to be sure, but it looked like everyone was gone when I got there. Oh well – I lose out – but there's always next time. The last maintenance day was all wrenching all day long. I thought this one would be the same.

Honda's don't take long to adjust. :blink:

There was mention made of hitting the dirt outside of SDCE. I was up on Barona Mesa off Rainbird this afternoon in the Four Corners area. I've tried a couple of times to find the El Cap truck trail without any luck. I'd appreciate a little direction if that is the route you ran this afternoon.

I kept on running into driveways and posted-private roads. The area is beginning to get built up.

Thanks,

Jim

awe CRAP!!!!!!

sorry to hear that.

details?

Me bad!

I should have included in my last post a huge “THANK YOU” to all the members I road with and a special thanks to Chief Gunner. They all stayed with me and Gunny road back to his house to retrieve my truck. They then loaded me and my bike for a very comfortable exit. Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much.

The interesting thing about this is that I am ridding as the new kid on the block and I got this kind of treatment. For anyone else listening, this is definitely a good group to join.

Details? You want details? OK, you’re going to get details.

We were running a dirt road somewhere east of Gunner’s home not too fast, just a leisurely pace. I was third (I should have been more to the rear in the slower pack) in line running behind Gunner. At first I was a little squeamish at the lack of traction in the turns (obviously common in the dirt – not what I was use to on the street). This should have been my first learning experience and should have slowed me down. But no “I’m and experience street racer so I can keep up with these guys.” What I should have done was to swap the word “experienced” with “cocky.” I held the turns find and started to enjoy the slipping and sliding – brought back memories of snowmobile racing in Wisconsin and Michigan. I ran most of this road in 2nd and felt I could now advance to 3rd – the beginning of the end. Through this I’m working at getting use to: 1. the power in each gear; 2. being able to find the shift lever while wearing these huge boots; and 3. less visibility in this helmet than in my street helmet. Then I had an “OH S*^$” moment. I’m riding too aggressively into to a much tighter turn then before. I hit the brake and start to slide. “WAM, BANG, THAN YOU MAM! I’M DOWN AND HURTING – BIG TIME.”

They are right when they say “hind site is 20/20.” There are a lot of things I should have done and could have done. The biggest of all of these is to have slowed down and been far more humble at doing something new.

We’ll, that should cover the “details.”

The good thing is that the doc said it is a very clean break (?) and that I should be off the crutches and running in about 8 weeks – assuming I don’t do anything stupid; again. :blink::blink:B)

Sorry to hear about the wreck, Santa Fe. 2wheels said in another post "each ride is a learning experience" and he is absolutely right. On my last ride I put my knee into a rock, I haven't ridden my bike in a month. I learned I need more protective gear. I used to ride with nothing more than a hemet and some cheap gloves. Sneakers, some kinda pants and short sleaved shirts was all I ever wore. I am still new to this too. I just hope I can make it out there next weekend.

I'm just curious, I like to learn from others misfortune I think it comes from being a pilot, but did your foot get chaught under the bike as you went down or do you think you twisted it on the way in?

Here's to a speedy recovery.

Cheers

Sorry to hear about the wreck, Santa Fe. 2wheels said in another post "each ride is a learning experience" and he is absolutely right. On my last ride I put my knee into a rock, I haven't ridden my bike in a month. I learned I need more protective gear. I used to ride with nothing more than a hemet and some cheap gloves. Sneakers, some kinda pants and short sleaved shirts was all I ever wore. I am still new to this too. I just hope I can make it out there next weekend.

I'm just curious, I like to learn from others misfortune I think it comes from being a pilot, but did your foot get chaught under the bike as you went down or do you think you twisted it on the way in?

Here's to a speedy recovery.

Cheers

I have more guts than brains. Not one of my proudest moments or characteristics.

What I should have done, in hindsight’s: 1. stayed in 2nd gear; 2. entered each turn with far more cautions and preparation; 3. practiced in my local area on dirt roads with far less turns; 4. had far more respect for a sport I knew “nothing” about.

I should have lifted my leg above the bike and slid on the bike rather than my leg. I caught my leg under the bike. I am in serious need of lessons! :blink:

Santa Fe - Don't beat yourself up so much for making a mistake. Everyone makes them.

I Hope your recovery goes well and you make another ride soon.

2wheels said in another post "each ride is a learning experience"

I don't remember saying that.

S-F-Dreaming thanks for the up date on your injuries take it easy and we will see you again soon. Thanks to chief for making the great links we always seem to have a good time when we are around good people. Alex you are the man we tore up Boulder creek run! :blink: see you guys on the next adventure the doc.

AMA

SDORC

SDAR

KLR650

Soon maybe KLX250S

Ride safe and have fun

Sorry Gene, Your exact words were "riding in the dirt is a learning process".

Sorry to misquote, see ya on the trails or in the air looking for new trails. Jon

Forgot to mention; There are a few shops nearby if any of you might want to or need to get maintenance parts.

CMC, RP racing, and Veys are the closest. They all stock parts for different makes (might not be able to find BMW stuff at any of them though). Also Kragen is right down the street, they actually carry motorcycle oil and fram motorcycle filters now.

Motoworld of El Cajon, Quinsey Powersports in El Cajon and Cycle Gear are only a couple minutes away on a bike.

For any "Katoom" guys that might want to come on out I think the closest places to get stuff for the orange monsters is in Ramona or Lemon Gorve.

Just an idea on what I plan on doing: checking / adjusting my valves, re-packing my exhaust, changing the oil and giving all the bolts and fastners a good once over.

Might feel froggy enought to try and spoon a new tire on the rear.

Is there a post ride report?