Well you can run whatever bike you want in romaniacs still. But 300 2-strokes are the king there...

With a Rekluse clutch.

Yeah mostly 300 2T and 250s as well,,,

with one exception Letti won on his BMW 450

dont know about the auto clutches? I think no.

http://www.redbullromaniacs.com/?id=225

Thx for posting these Jon. I wouldn't wanna be on the receiving end of a sand roost...

Watched stage 8 too. Nice rocks.

i guess i have an issue, mostly, with the "speed limit" on a RACE...

i get the cutting corners etc...and advantage, like the baja thing...THAT is "cheating".

i do get the spectator thing too, but to level the "playing field" seems odd...if so make it like NASCAR.

all same same...but not likely to happen,. although the 450 bikes limits i guess ARE a step to that end.

B)...my son likes watching with me, the girls roll their eyes...1 TV family.

The speed limits are only in the liason sections. Most stages are made up of three parts, an untimed "liason" to the special, the "special" which is the timed and usually much more technical section, and then another liason section to the bivouac. Technically, the liason parts are not "races" since they're not timed.

OK- I've been watching the stages every night...fun racing, good stories, incredible views...

But the two hosts bug the crap outta me...the "reporter at the scene" seems like a caricature from The Daily show and the studio guy reminds me of a sketch from Kids In The Hall...HE might not bug me as much, if they put him behind a desk, and gave him some papers to shuffle or something...

Am I the only one? Surely they could get a Dakar veteran to provide on the scene commentary...do either of these guys have racing credentials I'm not familiar with?

Am I totally wrong?

OK- I've been watching the stages every night...fun racing, good stories, incredible views...

But the two hosts bug the crap outta me...the "reporter at the scene" seems like a caricature from The Daily show and the studio guy reminds me of a sketch from Kids In The Hall...HE might not bug me as much, if they put him behind a desk, and gave him some papers to shuffle or something...

Am I the only one? Surely they could get a Dakar veteran to provide on the scene commentary...do either of these guys have racing credentials I'm not familiar with?

Am I totally wrong?

Yup. B)

Toby Moody (the guy on scene) has being doing Dakar commentary for years and knows his stuff. He is a bit goofy though.

That's weird- I feel like I have been following it for years, and don't remember the commentary bothering me in the past...

Its not the words so much, as the facial expressions, clasping of hands, and gyrating about like his underwear is in a bunch (studio guy)

Toby Moody does just seem goofy...

As far as the racing and footage though, I think it is amazing...different than Africa but no less, for sure

Whatever happened to the rider who got put into a induced coma after he crashed and sustained serious head injuries?

What coverage are you guys watching? I've only been doing the SBS Aussie coverage online.

I think that was Luca Manka that crashed out. I haven't heard anything more than this

d29_21639835.jpg

Italy's Luca Manca, competitor in the Argentina - Chile Dakar Rally 2010, is carried by medical personal in Calama, Chile, Thursday, Jan. 7, 2010. Manca was seriously wounded after falling from his bike during stage six of the rally between Antofagasta and Iquique in Chile, and remains under observation in stable condition.

Whatever happened to the rider who got put into a induced coma after he crashed and sustained serious head injuries?

I read yesterday that he's out of the coma and recognizing family, etc. No prognosis yet...