Marbee40

Otay Lakes/Mountain Night Ride

SDAR,

As requested by 625SX (in the previous thread called Jan14th), I'd like to lead a local night ride. He is visiting and working on a local project that allows him to get out of work and meet by 7:PM.

Meeting location: Corner of Proctor Valley Road and Hunte Parkway, Chula Vista, 91914 Use Mapquest to find it using this as your intersection or PM me.

Meeting Time/Date: Monday, Jan 15th, 6:45PM :unsure:

Route: Upper Otay Lake, Otay Mountain, Keubler Road, Alta Road, back roads back to Olympic Parkway.

Difficulty: 80% graded roads, 15% rough roads, 5% rocky rutted full-width trails. Seriously, this is an easy trip that I take newbie's on all the time. One rough downhill and one challenging uphill.

Time: 3 hours MAX. Should be back to Olympic Parkway/Hunte Parkway by about 10PM latest. Depends on how much goofing around.

Finally, due to the fact that this is a NIGHT RIDE through "wild country", this will NOT be a haul-arse ride. Just a relaxed ride through the weeds. With any luck, we'll have no clouds and PERFECT views of San Diego night lights. The forecast calls for chilly, so pack heavy and make sure you've got a fresh cup of joe in your cupholder! (That was for the BMW guys)

Hope you can all make it!

My cell for this trip is 619-726-5432.

Jim

I'm in.

Maybe those of us from around Mission Bay(me, pyro, 625sxc) can meet up at 6:15 to ride out there.

Or a little earlier if we want to come down Proctor Valley and get in some dirt on the way over there.

If I don't have to go out of town for work, then I'll make it.

Count me in! I'd like to catch a little dirt on the way down there too, why not! :D

MikeyB, we should meet up by the entrance to Fiesta Island with enough time to spare. It s right around the corner from Campland and right by the freeway. We might have to deal with a little traffic getting out there too. My schedule is flexable for monday afternoon/evening, so you tell me when & where. This is going to be fun!

Ill be there also. But it might be more like 7pm-Wait for me. Anybody know if it is a full moon?/Kev

Is there any one going down from North County? Since it is going to be an EASY ride, I am considering putting 80/20 street tires on and driving down there. This might be faster considering traffic, loading, unloading. Looking to hook up with a travel partner!

Since it is going to be an EASY ride, I am considering putting 80/20 street tires on and driving down there.

Yes, your 80/20's should be fine, we'll have to take it easy thru two sections. One is a downhill of about 150'. It is NOT like Heartattack Hill, just gotta go 1st gear and take it easy. One uphill section below the prison is a 5 on a 10 scale. My first time up was a little daunting, but with everyone there we'll get thru fine.

Again, I can't emphasize enough that we need to be CAREFUL. I will be calling the Brown Field BP office to let them know that we'll be in their sector for the evening. They usually radio their guys.

Speaking of which, we will likely run into a few "International Hikers" along the way. For those of you that might be worried, don't. I'd only be worried if I was traveling alone.

Our visitor, 625SXC is NOT staying at Campland. He had to move to the RV park off I-5, near exit 2, so he won't be riding with the folks from Mission Bay.

Finally, we will depart at 7:15 latest, heading EAST on Proctor Valley Road, past the new houses, and up to Upper Otay Res. Again, cell phones get service, so call if you're running a few minutes late.

Looking forward to another memorable ride! Someone bring a camera! Oh, someone bring a few doggie treats for our little friend at the top of the mountain, too.

Jim

I am running Otay Monday AM with my coworker who JUST bought a bike (anyone is welcome to join)

Depending how that ride goes, i MAY join you at night, never down that before!

Thanks

Bawstun,

How's that wrist holding up? Take it EASY, brother! Hope to see you Monday evening!

Wrist is better, getting it Xrayed in about 3 hours! :D

Check your PM's

Hey pyro,

How about meeting at fiesta island at 6?

Anyone else coming from up north that would want to meet up with us there?

-Michael

For those of you who are going to meet at fiesta island, who is riding bikes? If you are riding bikes down to Chula Vista, what kind of tires will you be running?

It was 30 degrees with snow falling at the top of Otay Mountain at noon today. Chilly for San Diego.

It was 30 degrees with snow falling at the top of Otay Mountain at noon today. Chilly for San Diego.

The trip has been renamed "Jims Alaska Training Ride". :D

I am running Otay Monday AM with my coworker who JUST bought a bike (anyone is welcome to join)

Depending how that ride goes, i MAY join you at night, never down that before!

Thanks

Kevin,

I may be able to join you for the AM ride. Where and when are you meeting?

Thanks

Andy

Mangler et al,

Did you go this morning? Any closures? How was the ride? How is your wrist?

Jim

Sorry, for the confusion, i will be doing the ride MONDAY am!

Wrist is much butter although not 100%. Doctor said no fracture just a nasty sprain, so thats a big plus!

It's not looking good for me getting home in time to make this ride, so don't count on me being there for the fiesta island meetup. Sorry.

Mangler et al,

Jim

Wrist is much butter although not 100%. Doctor said no fracture just a nasty sprain, so thats a big plus!

Good news on the wrist! Check out the CTI wrist braces... best $ I have spent for my bum flipper.

Have a good ride guys. Just got the word I dont have to fly back to the bay area until Tuesday am. I'm hitting Ocotillo manana on a last minute SOLO? mission.

Mangler et al,

Jim

Good news on the wrist! Check out the CTI wrist braces... best $ I have spent for my bum flipper.

Have a good ride guys. Just got the word I dont have to fly back to the bay area until Tuesday am. I'm hitting Ocotillo manana on a last minute SOLO? mission.

I took the bike off the truck, If I get the balls to ride out at 18 degrees in the am I might see ya there.

It's going to be frosty, dress warm! It sounds like we might see snow. That would be CLASSIC! I'm running 606's bum. No problem for highway/city/dirt/snow? :)

Is anyone else riding from the beach area?

I'll see ya'll @ Proctor & Hunte @ 7pm either way.

It's going to be frosty, dress warm! It sounds like we might see snow. That would be CLASSIC! I'm running 606's bum. No problem for highway/city/dirt/snow? :D

Is anyone else riding from the beach area?

I'll see ya'll @ Proctor & Hunte @ 7pm either way.

Pyro,

I'd bet that we're the only two to show up! COME ON! This is an ADVENTURE group! Yes, it's gonna be cold as 'ell, but that's just your excuse to LAYER up! I doubt we'll see snow unless a bit of moisture rolls in.

Anyways, I'm stoked about this ride, so load up on caffiene and warmies and get off the COUCH!

Again, 619-726-5432 is my cell for this trip.

Jim