Joliet

Garmin GPS60CSx under $300

Hi Ken

I bought mine last year on Amazon for around $260. Might be worth shopping around. Don't tell Roger but I actually have two more GPS's, one in my boat and one in my Jeep in Page. He likes to think I only use a sextant. :unsure:

Don

Don, Have a few Garmin's myself, but only a single Astrolabe.

http://www.astrolabes.org/

I don't know where all these deals were when I bought mine a few years ago. I think I paid around $400.

Joliet,

Good price on the machine but the software is still $100 a pop! City Nav and Topo etc. Hard to find the software discounted.

Joliet,

Good price on the machine but the software is still $100 a pop! City Nav and Topo etc. Hard to find the software discounted.

City Nav is the only one I'd "buy".......older/out dated/unmaintained/"no unlock code required" versions of Roads/Rec and western states topo are available if you look around/network....

Joliet,

City Nav is the only one I'd "buy".......older/out dated/unmaintained/"no unlock code required" versions of Roads/Rec and western states topo are available if you look around/network....

Chris, If you have the City Select(which is included with the GPS), is it necessary to get the City Nav?

Chris, If you have the City Select(which is included with the GPS), is it necessary to get the City Nav?

For anyone with a new unit Steve is NOT referring to the software embedded in the unit......the embedded software is very high level and relatively useless.......City Select was the predecessor to City Navigator.....

I had City Select with my Garmin V years ago but no longer have it/use it.....I doubt the net gain/jump to City Navigator is worth the investment.....what I'm NOT sure about is whether routes created in City Nav can also be used by someone using City Select......but most folks don't use routes too much anyway, they simply follow tracks.......that said, I use routes a lot when developing tracks.....then I toss the route when I have an active track to replace it.....

The 60cx does not have the electronic compass and altimeter.

You won't miss either of those functions if you go this route.......

Bought one last week for this price and it was delivered a couple of days ago. Haven't got it running yet, but am moving to Garmin from Delorme as the Delorme software was just too much. Like trying to learn Photoshop or Access. Too hard for the simple things I wanted to do.

EDIT:

I just saw this came with a 1GB card! Everything I read said it would be a 64mb card. I have already got a 4GB card coming, but it was a nice surprise.

Costco still has the 60cx for $219

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...topnav=&s=1

The 60cx does not have the electronic compass and altimeter.