tntmo

Mods finally finished - Rekluse and auto-decompress cam

I've been tinkering with these mods for a long time, I actually bought the 450 cam about three years ago I think and have had the Rekluse clutch for a few months. What can I say, I've been unmotivated lately and things got pushed aside.

Anyway, the cam was an easy install and anyone who owns a Yamaha 400/426 NEEDS to get one. I'm feeling silly for holding onto it for so long but I was planning on installing it when my exhaust valves needed to be adjusted. They still didn't need it after over 5,000 miles but I was checking them so I installed the cam. No more kick to top dead center, pull the lever, kick past, release lever and then kick. Now it's just kick. One step. My 12 year old son can do it. Easy and less than $150. Done deal.

The Rekluse was a bit more of a challenge. I got a killer deal on it, $100 second hand but never installed. Only trouble was that it was for a 426 and I own a 400. Had to slowly pick up the parts needed off Ebay and craigslist in order to not break the bank. Had to get a complete clutch, a side cover, a few other misc pieces and I also picked up a set of new clutch plates. It was a pain in the ass to set up, maybe the 400/426 hybrid didn't quite make it easy but I got the auto clutch up and running. Around $350 total, not bad since you can't get a Rekluse for the 400 anymore.

Two upgrades that I hope will work well and make my bike easy to start and stall less on the tough trails.....the only place I really envy the E-start guys. Heading to El Centro for ten days next week so I have lots of chances to test it out.

Ride on SDAR.

Good job. I'll keep my eye on you to see how it all works out. I didn't realize the cam upgrade was so cheap, sounds like a good idea. That startup routine is a hassle when you're stalled on a hill.

Good job Tom...I know you've been pluggin' away on this. I don't know if you have the clutch override on the Rekluse, but I don't touch mine....especially on corners. The half second kick in is hard to judge and you don't need to, so....

Also, engine braking on downhills will go away as the revs come down. Downshift or do a rear brake/quick throttle blip and it'll reactivate.

Very fun on technical stuff...kinda like cheatin' :lol:

My Rekluse was set up for me by the previous owner, who used three titanium balls- it will very rarely lose compression braking. Only when going VERY slowly- so slow it wouldn't matter anyway. Might want to check it out.

p

Good job. I'll keep my eye on you to see how it all works out. I didn't realize the cam upgrade was so cheap, sounds like a good idea. That startup routine is a hassle when you're stalled on a hill.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module.../CAMSHAFT_CHAIN

It's gone up in price since I bought it, but still around $150. I know you get used to the start routine after owning the bike for a while, but this just makes it so easy even a Honda owner could start your bike. :lol:

With a Rekluse and the hot cam, who really needs elec start. You'll only be starting that thing in the morning, and after lunch. I'm doing both. Add that to never having to adjust your valves! The WR400 comes out shining once again! I'll just tell my wife that about $800 in upgrades to my current rig and I'll shut up about wanting a KTM for the season.

The WR400 comes out shining once again! I'll just tell my wife that about $800 in upgrades to my current rig and I'll shut up about wanting a KTM for the season.

That's how I justified it. I can "suffer" through another season or two with this bike now, and when my son gets just a bit taller he will have to "suffer" with the WR400 when I move onto something else. Maybe a WR450?

When I order the Rekluse clutch, do I care about the perch adjuster. It's $100 more, no big deal, but if those using a Rekluse don't find themselves using the override I'm interested in knowing.

When I order the Rekluse clutch, do I care about the perch adjuster. It's $100 more, no big deal, but if those using a Rekluse don't find themselves using the override I'm interested in knowing.

Did you find a Rekluse for the WR400?

I use mine about as much as FN. If you get the timing down, it can be fun. If you're pulling back into your driveway, forget about the delay & it launches in a full wheelie towards the wifes Acura, it can be no fun.

I have found it helpful starting in gear. I use it every time for that.

I'd like to assist/hinder the install when u get it. Mine was in the bike when I bought it & I'd like to screw things up on your bike before mine needs adjustment. :)

I can provide a MC jack & garage space. Oh, & beverages.

I'd like to assist/hinder the install when u get it. Mine was in the bike when I bought it & I'd like to screw things up on your bike before mine needs adjustment. :)

I can provide a MC jack & garage space. Oh, & beverages.

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know when I pull the trigger.

I'll go with the perch.

I did find one for the WR/YZ400 98-00

http://www.motofrugals.com/product.jsp?id=Rekluse%20Z-Start (bottom of drop down menu) $479 free shipping

I saw it in another place too. Took some digging for sure.

Got lucky, they don't make them for the 400's anymore. I picked mine up for a deal but didn't realize how much I'd have to change to make it work. I knew the 426 clutch basket was different but I also had to change the side cover and a few other pieces. If you can change clutch plates you can set up the Rekluse, pretty easy.

The shiz-nitz (I'm so street) is the left-hand rear brake.

fo shizzle, peeps.

fo shizzle, peeps.

Yeah, you're street all right.

I was thinking of the brake setup, would be pretty easy to do if you pick up a hyd clutch cylinder off Ebay.

Cheap enough to give it a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pit-Dirt-Bi...sQ5fAccessories

fo shizzle, peeps.

Yeah, you're street all right.

I was thinking of the brake setup, would be pretty easy to do if you pick up a hyd clutch cylinder off Ebay.

Cheap enough to give it a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pit-Dirt-Bi...sQ5fAccessories

The "good" bikes already have hydraulic clutches :) .

The "good" bikes already have hydraulic clutches :) .

Just "had" to do that, didn't you?

All right, couple of questions on both of these mods:

Cam with auto decomp - Is it as simple as remove old cam set in new cam reassemble and go? I'd love to do this to my roommates WR400.

The Rekluse - I understand how it works once in gear, but what about shifting gears? Just let off the throttle to disengage the clutch, shift, and twist again?

Shifting- yes, just roll off shift, roll on. But I rarely used the clutch even when I had a manual. Obviously not when seriously loaded though.

All right, couple of questions on both of these mods:

Cam with auto decomp - Is it as simple as remove old cam set in new cam reassemble and go? I'd love to do this to my roommates WR400.

The Rekluse - I understand how it works once in gear, but what about shifting gears? Just let off the throttle to disengage the clutch, shift, and twist again?

On the cam you have a few options. You can buy an aftermarket cam with the auto-decompression deal or get the YZ450 cam. The aftermarket one will have directions to do it, the YZ450 you follow this.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthrea...078#post3706078

If you decide to do it I can give any assistance you need after you read that TT thread.

The Rekluse question has been covered well by FakeName. If you have ever driven an auto clutch quad it is pretty much like that.

I have a used Rekluse and perch adjuster for a WR400. I didn't care for it and removed it. It's for sale for $300 (both items included). PM me if interested.

I have a used Rekluse and perch adjuster for a WR400. I didn't care for it and removed it. It's for sale for $300 (both items included). PM me if interested.

PM sent....