Bagstr

Air Filters

I am about install a Uni Foam air filter in the 690. What has been your experience? I am used to paper filters but now I hear they are crap for offroad conditions. Any other recommendations. These things are expensive for the 690!

Thanx

No complaints with the Uni on my XR650L. I just wash and oil it every once in awhile and it sits in there and leaves me alone. I can't say I noticed any difference in performance when I switched over, but I did notice that whenever the bike sits for awhile there is a little bit of filter oil leaking out of the airbox. I just don't park it on the bedroom carpet anymore. Hope this helps.

paper filters are crap for off road conditions...

uni are good filters... oil it up, and wash it often

I actually keep an oiled spare in a ziplock gallon bag, so my rides aren't ruined by a dirty filter...

flats? dead batteries? forgotten boots? Yeah; those things still ruin rides, but not a dirty air filter

Once a paper filter gets wet, it's toast. it doesn't breathe again till it's dry and then not as good as before it got doused. That's one reason why they are lousy for off roading. If the bike gets tipped over and motor oil or fuel soaks a paper filter, the bike will run a lot cruddier than if you had a foam filter in there. And of course, you can't clean and reuse a paper filter. Get your foam filter and have the best. :rolleyes:

I actually keep an oiled spare in a ziplock gallon bag, so my rides aren't ruined by a dirty filter...

Yeah I do this to, makes it a lot simpler to deal with.

So, @ $64 do you buy TWO filters?

:lol::lol::lol:

:rolleyes: no

mine didn't cost that much... but I don't have a big fancy Australian bike, either... ;)

I'm sure mine was HALF that much, but, to be honest, i don't really shop around much.

Why dont you talk to someone that actually owns a 690 and has been maintaining 1... It sounds like nobody knows where it actually is. I ride my bike in glamis, and I have tried to drown it at Pinnacles. Our bikes are Fuel Injected, Our airbox is sealed up at the highest point underneath where you might think our gas tank is. I check it all the time cuz I hate paper filters also but mine looks as clean as day 1 otherwise I would have replaced it with whatever is best. Is yours dirty or while you are rehabbing your foot you wanna dump money in your bike.

Schwinn,

My airbox is dusty. I have a leak or the filter is not working. Checking the top piece for proper alignment.

Saving money for boots!