Sign in to follow this  
DigDug

Big bike exploring ride - Starting/Ending in Ramona

Late notice here, but I think we're going to go poking around a little tomorrow. Starting in Ramona at Packard's Coffee Shop at 7th and Main. I'd like to be rolling out of there by 8am or so and take advantage of the little bit of cool air that's left by then.

From there, heading up Black Canyon to Mesa Grande, back down to 78 and up towards Julian. Turning off on Pine Hills, hitting the dirt on Eagle Peak, Cedar Creek, Boulder Creek down into Descanso and, depending on time, over to Pine Valley for some lunch. From there, we'll play it by ear based on time/heat/etc... Maybe up sunrise to Julian or perhaps back on more dirt. Here's a LINK to Google map of a very loose plan of the loop.

I just want to get out and do some 'sploring on the big bike before I do the family things (tourist kind up stuff in LA) on Sunday.

Should be a suitable loop for big bikes and/or noob riders...

Anybody brave enough to battle the heat???

What is percentage street v. dirt?

:drinks:

Here's a LINK to Google map of a very loose plan of the loop.

Should be a suitable loop for big bikes and/or noob riders...

Packard's Coffee Shop.......I'd like to be rolling out of there by 8am or so and take advantage of the little bit of cool air that's left by then.

I may swing by and say hello over at Packard's......won't be tagging along on this one.....

I'm guessing 40 street to 60 dirt until lunch (maybe a little more dirt). After lunch we can retrace our route or do all fun pavement depending on how we feel.

Packard's Coffee Shop.......I'd like to be rolling out of there by 8am or so and take advantage of the little bit of cool air that's left by then.

I may swing by and say hello over at Packard's......won't be tagging along on this one.....

Perfect noob ride... Bust out the 230

Hey Doug,

Watch out for that two way traffic!

Hey Doug,

Watch out for that two way traffic!

I'm whitcha on that one Dave!!!

I'm going to "Pyro" up on the big bike, so I won't have to worry about Adventure Passes... Just have to keep my eyes open for cars and trucks!!!

I'll ride if I can roll my butt outta bed early enough to make it up there.

The more the merrier... I'll keep an eye open for you!!!

Perfect noob ride... Bust out the 230

Hmmmmmmmmm..........might pimp over to say hello on my 17Hp Red Monster........ :lol::o

I'm guessing 40 street to 60 dirt until lunch (maybe a little more dirt). After lunch we can retrace our route or do all fun pavement depending on how we feel.

Thanks. I actually looked at the map, but it is such a close call for me and you said it was "loosely" on the map, so I wanted clarification. When it is a close call, dirt influences a lot. I would pyro too, which is something I don't like doing when my blinkers/horn are not working. I'd also have to skip tennis, but I am itching bad to ride again. It probably depends again on how I feel in the morning.

I want to get out and ride, but after working all day in the heat, and sleeping with it, I think I'll hide from it all day. I do however, think I'll ride up to have breakfast in Ramona, then head back to the coast. I may say hi tomorrow morning. :lol:

I'll ride if I can roll my butt outta bed early enough to make it up there.

I take it back...I'd like to come out, but it looks like I'll have to catch you guys next time. Have fun!

I'll be leaving my place at 7am on the CRF 230F (it's about 4 miles away so I figure I'd better leave early to get there in time on the red beast :lol: )......I'll be across the parking lot from Packard's at the Amerient restaurant having breakfast......look for the Smokin' Red Machine out front.....see you at Packard's at 8

Just back from my first "Street pimping" ride on my 17Hp Red Rocket 230F :lol::lol: .........you know what? :) .....don't tell anyone, but I actually really like that bike :o:lol::) ........low & light.......obviously low tech and suspension isn't set -up for a piggish rider like me, but still fun to pimp around on.......should be purrrrrrrrfect for Kathy and the kiddos B) .....very pleased with the new addition to the stable.......

let me know when you're ready for a "pitbike" day... last years ended up as a bust.

I'll bet it was HOT in Ramona, even early this morning

It wasn't bad this morning but by noon it was too hot. Hope you got your bike back to the house Doug. Thanks for the oppurtunity to go exploring. Good Times. Now its beer-thirty. :lol:

Hope you got your bike back to the house Doug.

Something happen to Dugsters bike? Where's the write up and pics? Did the cameras melt? :lol:

Nothing to bad,.... The bike would start but once you gave 'er a lil gas it would die right away. I had a family thing at noon and it happened right as I was about to take off so I dont know the details. :lol: ......... Not the Adventure, the 525 Mickey was ridin'. Kinda sucks for the lil guy.

Would have loved to take that ride with you, right up the road from me too...have to give you props for getting oiut there despite the heat wave....I spent the day painting....and fanning.....(NO AC in Poway..103 at 4 pm today......yikes....)

It WILL get cooler sooner or later.....can't wait to ride soon..... :lol:

Nothing to bad,.... The bike would start but once you gave 'er a lil gas it would die right away. I had a family thing at noon and it happened right as I was about to take off so I dont know the details. :lol: ......... Not the Adventure, the 525 Mickey was ridin'. Kinda sucks for the lil guy.

Almost sounds like vapor lock.......hopefully they checked vent line for kinks and bingo - problem solved......

Back safe and sound. Only a couple pictures. The problem with the bike was the carb needle. From all that twisting of the wrist I'd been doing these past few years, the clip wore out along with enlarging the slot in the needle. The clip let go and the needle dropped down into the slide. Bike would run fine on the pilot circuit, but anything off idle would kill it unless I wacked open the throttle squirting the injector pump. Once I got the top off, I was able to tilt the carb and bike to the side, get the needle out and bend the clip enough to get it to hold into a different slot in the needle (one richer) and we continued the ride... It's a JD Jet Kit Needle and hopefully I can buy just the needle and clip from JD. If not, I'll probably just go back to stock - don't want to buy a whole new jet kit for just the needle...

Thanks for keeping us company LucidMayhem... Hopefully you were able to follow my directions and get home in time.

Not going to do a writeup in another thread since we don't have an real pics. We rode Ramona to Santa Ysabel truck trail, past lake Sutherland, up 78 to Pine Hills, Eagle Peak, Kevin's Cedar Peak Road (thanks Kevin!!! by the way - the road is now signed as legal to ATV's!?!?!?), Boulder Creek into Descanso, over to Frosty Burger for lunch, up sunrise, out and back Thing Valley to the gate, up the rest of sunrise to Julian, down 78 to Santa Ysabel, up 79 to Palomar East Grade, down Nate Harrison, Up Cole Grade, then Old Castle road back to the 15 corridor and back home on back roads. over 200 miles.. good day despite the heat. Sunrise was actually pleasant as was the top of Palomar...

over to Frosty Burger for lunch

They take Visa and Mastercard now. :lol:

.......the clip wore out along with enlarging the slot in the needle. The clip let go and the needle dropped down into the slide. Bike would run fine on the pilot circuit, but anything off idle would kill it unless I wacked open the throttle squirting the injector pump. Once I got the top off, I was able to tilt the carb and bike to the side, get the needle out and bend the clip enough to get it to hold into a different slot in the needle (one richer) and we continued the ride...

That's EXACTLY what happened to the 520 on the way back to Mesquite from Page!........except we're not as smart as you :blink::lol: .....we gave up and towed to St. George :rolleyes:<_<

I made it home in time. We didn't end up not having that BBQ because we planned it with a bunch of flakes that suddenly forgot how to use a cell phone. If I had known that I would've stayed for the duration. Thanks again for letting me tag along, good times. You should be able to call the company and special order a needle. Talk to a Tech. Rep. if you can. Thats what I use to do for my paintball guns, hopefully you can have the same results. Good luck.