piratemonkey

Santa Ana Mountains big bike ride

I can only give you the highlights since I'd never been to the area and could only follow along as a tourist. So here's my take in a Q&A format, which is the lazy writer's dream method. Perhaps some of the other attendees could provide more info about gate closures and points of interest.

Q. Who was there?

A. Doug (ride organizer), Wayne, Dave, Lee, Zina and then another Dave later on.

Q. What were the bikes?

A. Three ginormous KTMs and three way-less-large Japanese bikes.

Q. How was the weather?

A. Overcast with light drizzle in parts. On Santiago Peak we had a great view of the inside of a cloud.

Q. What was the total mileage?

A. A full loop starting and finishing at Carl's Junior would've been 173 miles. Cutting out I-15 would make it 131 miles. I logged 275 miles from my house.

Q. How did you feel watching those KTMs in the dirt?

A. Frightened for their owners. Big props to them for riding those beasts with seeming aplomb ("seeming" only because they may have been crying on the inside).

Q. What is it like watching a beast slide towards a rut because of the equation: (lack-of-knobbies + vertical incline) * 550 lbs = compromised traction?

A. Disconcerting.

Q. How were those Trail Wingy-Dingys?

A. Ok on the uphills, but terrible on the downhills when you really need to shave speed and turn -- there's not much shaving or turning to be had if it needs to be done quickly. But nobody's too surprised about this, right?

Q. Is there photographic evidence of this event?

A. http://www.flickr.com/photos/piratemonkeyc...57619711023216/

There were some exposure problems because I was using a camera I don't normally use and the settings kept getting bump.

Q. Do you have tracks?

A. Here's a track of the loop. Someone else may have tracks with waypoints of interest.

santaAnaMt.txt

Q. Will you do the trip again?

A. Yes, I want to see the view from Santiago Peak. The twisty pavements sections were also a lot of fun.

Great pictures Zina...

Here's a few of mine.

The final group of riders at Carl's Jr was: DigDug, humptythumpty, bagstr, piratemonkey, and R2 Rider (Lee - a "lurker" waiting to get validated)

We met up in Fallbrook and zipped up DeLuz road. We were making pretty good time so we figured we could scoot up Tenaja Truck Trail. Once we got up top, a quick check of the GPS said that it was only five miles to the top of Margarita Truck Trail, so we made that detour and decided that we'd bypass the Wildomar OHV area to catch up on time. (Our plan was to meet RedRider at Hell's Kitchen at 11 for lunch).

Here's a view from the top - looking over the fire station on Camp Pendleton:

img1029vhf.jpg

From there we backtracked and wound our way through the "slum" neighborhoods off Avenida La Cresta. We jumped up to the Main Divide road and met up with RedRider, who had spent an hour on his own at the OHV area before heading to lunch. We ran into a group of dual sporters at lunch that were coming the other way and they assured us the gates were all open for our intended route.

After a slow, but filling lunch at Hell's Kitchen, bagstr and R2 Rider split off, and the other four of us continued up North Main Divide. It was a great day, even if a little foggy in places. It was also quite crowded - lots of hikers, jeeps, other bikes, etc...

Here's a few pictures from the fun:

img1032acw.jpg

img1034j.jpg

img1038t.jpg

img1040vby.jpg

img1044u.jpg

We made our way up into the clouds to the towers atop Santiago Peak and out to the lookout.

Here's RedRider coming out of the fog to join us at the lookout:

img1045s.jpg

Unfortunately, what is usually a spectacular view was obscured by fog - but like everyone up there said, it give us an excuse to come back on a clear day:

img1047u.jpg

We were standing around, enjoying the day, when all of a sudden, RedRider came under attack from a communist army and was almost bayonetted! Luckily humptythumpty was there to save him!

img1048o.jpg

We made our way down the mountain peak - picking our way over the rocky hills through the fog - that was hairy since it was difficult for me to see the road and the obstacles at times!

Our plan was to continue along the Main Divide road all the way into Corona for gas before retracing our route back to Ortega Hwy. Well, we took a wrong turn and wound up descending Silverado canyon. It was an awesome ride with great views, but cut into our riding time. We tried to loop back up onto the mountain via Black Star Canyon road, but that was gated closed. :rolleyes:

Ahh well - it is an exploratory ride afterall...

Here's where we made the wrong turn:

img1051mmy.jpg

And a few shots on Silverado Canyon:

img1052i.jpg

img1055.jpg

img1059y.jpg

img1060.jpg

img1061j.jpg

We rode back up Silverado Canyon and made the "right" turn this time to continue along Main Divide.

Here's a few shots of the rest of the road:

img1068.jpg

img1072y.jpg

img1073fom.jpg

img1078i.jpg

img1084.jpg

img1086n.jpg

That dropped the four of us right into Corona. We decided that it was late enough in the day that we didn't want to ride the 40 or so miles of dirt back to Ortega Highway and that we should probably slab it home instead. RedRider split off and headed back to his home in Hemet, while piratemonkey, humptythumpty and I hit the I-15 for the ride back to SD county (sorry piratemonkey, I'm sure that wasn't the funnest experience on the DRZ - but you sure did hang with us pretty well - even if you spent pretty much the entire ride crouched down behind that tiny little fairing).

I rolled back into San Marcos right at 220 miles. Thanks everyone for a great day out in the mountains!!!

looks nice! even with the drizzle

I was kind of bummed we didn't ride today since it might be clear up there, but then again for a recon mission the cool weather worked to our benefit since we were out there for so long. I left home at 7:15 and returned at 6:30 so that was over 11 hours of either being on the bike or on that stool at Hell's Kitchen.

I want to get back up there before they close down the area due to budget or wildfire issues.

A big thanks to Digdug for putting this ride together, it was a blast!

It would have been nice to see the views but the weather made it memorable in a special way. It would be hard to duplicate the conditions and when I do the ride again with clear weather it will be a cool contrast.

Dave, (Bagster) Hope the arm heals quickly. You missed the best part of the ride but now you have something to look forward to. Unlike the desert you can do this ride in the Summer.

Dave, (Redrider) Nice to ride with you again. What’s the secret to keeping your bike looking show room new?

Lee, Welcome to the club.

Zina, Thanks for posting the write up and the great photos.

It was a lot of fun riding with all of you.

Wayne

Dave, Zina, Doug and Lee

post-3040-1245029908_thumb.jpg

Doug

post-3040-1245029953_thumb.jpg

Dave (redrider)

post-3040-1245029965_thumb.jpg

Doug

post-3040-1245029974_thumb.jpg

Dave, Doug and Zina on the Misty Mountain Top.

post-3040-1245029982_thumb.jpg

It looks like you guys had a great ride! I sure wish I could have joined you.

Hey Doug it’s a bummer that you guys got lost and took the wrong turn. Hey, I know an Air Force Major who is a navigator on C 130. He has a big orange bike and works at a local military base. If you want I can contact him the next time you go out. May he can read a map and keep you from getting lost. Just trying to help. :lol:

Zina great write up as always!

What a marathon ride, both time and distance!! My butt is sore just from looking at the GPS track! Thanks for posting the track. Did you have to use the VIP exit at the end of Black Star Canyon Rd? I can't imagine turning around at that point.

Steve

What a marathon ride, both time and distance!! My butt is sore just from looking at the GPS track! Thanks for posting the track. Did you have to use the VIP exit at the end of Black Star Canyon Rd? I can't imagine turning around at that point.

Steve

We came down Silverado, then tried to loop back up onto the mountain via Black Star Canyon Rd. Black Star is gated at the bottom (piratemonkey has a picture of the closed road). We briefly thought about using the VIP access, but weren't too sure we wanted to risk a pair of 520 lb bikes sliding down the hill. We also weren't sure whether there was a gate at the top. We backtracked up Silverado and rejoined Main Divide to continue to the end.

It's 36 miles (if I calculate right) of dirt one way from Ortega to Skyline.. Easily doable round trip in a good afternoon (without the Silverado detour that is) as long as you keep the pace up...

Good fun!!!!

I think the plan will be similar next time except to leave Fallbrook a little earlier and give ourselves some time to get up Margarita and back down and do South Main Divide via the forest service road -vs- winding our way through the La Cresta area. More scenic that way and easier to route follow. Just slower and windier...

Steve

We came down Silverado, then tried to loop back up onto the mountain via Black Star Canyon Rd. Black Star is gated at the bottom (piratemonkey has a picture of the closed road). We briefly thought about using the VIP access, but weren't too sure we wanted to risk a pair of 520 lb bikes sliding down the hill. We also weren't sure whether there was a gate at the top. We backtracked up Silverado and rejoined Main Divide to continue to the end.

Doug, I was referring to the other end of Black Star Canyon, where you went into Corona. My map shows N Main Divide turning into Black Star Canyon and going NE into Corona. Not important.

Steve

Doug, I was referring to the other end of Black Star Canyon, where you went into Corona. My map shows N Main Divide turning into Black Star Canyon and going NE into Corona. Not important.

Steve

Ahh.. I got ya..

As we were ready to drop down into Corona, we saw where Black Star Canyon Road hit Main divide (no gate right there, but we didn't go down at all to see if there was anything at the top). Then we veered right, down into Corona. I think Black Star Canyon stops at Main Divide, Main Divide continues northwest down to the toll road, and we turned right (on what appeared to be the most traveled road) on Skyline (not labeled that way on the map, but that's what the locals called it and the sign at the bottom indicated). Lots of confusion up there as to what's called what and what's open and what's open but not supposed to be open... Gotta love our local National Forest officials!!!

Hey Ya'll

Thanks be to Doug for posting up the ride and to Zina, Dave, Wayne & our other brother Dave for joining in on the ADV and letting a lurking newbe tag along.

I had a blast. It was nice meeting & riding with you all. My fave parts of the day were: the pre-ride head's up "Just ride at your own pace", the off the cuff notion to take Tanaja TT up & the road to Case Springs 'n back (I am stronger now

after riding it at that clip & still only a little sore), Bagstr for checking to see if I was still upright periodically & Wayne for not laughing me off the trail following me from Camp Pendleton. I only almost lost it a few times. Wayne spotted deer in

Tanaja and pointed them out to me, thanks Wayne I love's me some critter's great or small. At Wildomar Dave RedRider joined us on the road to Hell for lunch. I thought the place was pretty cool if you like bikes stop by there sometime. Dave

and I even saw what appeared to be a small formula 1 car zip by a couple times, looked like fun. From there I had to bail for fuel in Elsinore and I came back up & on North Divide but only to the campground and turned around for home. 15

degree temp diff from the lake to there for sure. I had told the Wife I'd be home sometime after lunch and it was 3:30 when I had to say 'Well it is after lunch'.

Looking forward to the next one, thanks again guy's.

R2 RIDER

You don't ride a WRR do you?

I thought I recognized it in one of the peecshurs. Welcome to the small bore dual sport group of SDAR.

I have a WR250R as well, and of course Zenosan has his nice XL250 Honda and DSfox her KLX250S

I think thats about it besides Fakename and his TW200 :lol:

Jaynen!

Dude, I had planned to thank you on the INTRO board, thru your posting on TT is how I found SDAR. Thank You.

Yes, it's an '08 Yamaha WR250R. My daily commuter 90% & ADV 10% bike. Fuel savings are paying for the bike.

Thought I might see you in Fallbrook but look forward to meeting you.

Did you try any of that chocolate covered bacon?

R2 RIDER

No but I did eat a deep fried smore I couldn't find any chocolate covered bacon. Well I figured you had to be from TT or ADV in order to be using the R2 thing. Whereabouts are you from in the San Diego area? I kind of wish I had skipped out and gone riding now ;p

I think thats about it besides Fakename and his TW200 :)

Which is really more of an enduro bike than a dualsport.

I think. Maybe vice-versa?

I think thats about it besides Fakename and his TW200 :lol:

Which is really more of an enduro bike than a dualsport.

I think. Maybe vice-versa?

The TW falls into ANOTHER category when it comes to the magazines and whatnot along with the XT250etc of being a "camp bike" the modern equivalent of a trail 90 :)

Ouch.

Let's call it a "specialty" bike.

It's only special when you are riding it. But seriously I think the TW's are awesome although I wish they had plastic tanks, and I am not sure what the fat tires do for the bike.