PastaPilot

2008 Aprilia RXV 550

To keep Jaynen happy I brought this over from another thread. I'll add to this one slowly as I feel like it.

..This was in regards to a topic discussing the KTM and Husqy 450s..

Plated '08 and beyond, more power than all of the above, engine runs smoother than silk, already has a 3.2 gallon tank, fuelie so no rejetting when going back and forth from Big Bear and anywhere, easily dereistricted and runs perfect, derestictable with factory muffler, super quiet for stealth missions, awesome brakes, did I mention gobs of power? radiator fan and coolant recovery bottle included, detailed but longer maintenance intervals than any of the rest, parts are less expensive than comparable Honda parts, dealer network is pretty good any Piaggio/Vespa dealer can get Aprilia parts, awesome balance just about all of the bike and it's parts are in the center of the frame, I believe Husaberg called it mass centralization, my 550 has more power anywhere than I've ever needed, easily the first bike I've ever ridden that I'm not looking for more power out of. I will be looking to set up the suspension for me with springs and maybe a revalve, but most riders will do that with any bike.

$1000 less than a berg, $2-300 less than a KTM. More than a Husky but when you factor the tank, pipe and race kit price is about the same.

Radiators are a little exposed, I tweaked mine on the last ride but guards are available and mine are on the way, engine rebuilds may cost more with two pistons and 8 valves but most rebuilds seem to reuse pistons and often the valves, so I'll wait and see. The rear cylinder head is kinda burried, but according to my dealer very easy to inspect/adjust both cylinder heads. A 6th gear would be awesome, KTM has better cruiser tranny, Husqy has close range 6 speed that seems to run the similar RPM as the Aprilia in top gear.

There are plenty of horror stories at the apriliaforums, but I've seen/read/experienced many a horror story on every brand of bike ever made. If you shopped based on negative user reviews of anything you'd sit in your empty living room wearing an Ace Bandage loincloth/codpiece staring into a bowl of dry Kashi cereal wondering why everything in this world sucks so bad. The cereal included.

If I had one of those I would park it in my living room and never need to watch television again. Very sexy machine!

Thanks Jon I have been waiting to see it. You going to get a skidplate/bar ends etc for it?

The bike sounds awesome, the maintenance and reliability is the scary bit

Thanks Jon I have been waiting to see it. You going to get a skidplate/bar ends etc for it?

It already has a skidplate on it. It is black and it is plastic. I have an aluminum one coming from France that has more coverage for the ends.(?)

I don't know what bar ends are. Do you mean the creapy old guy that sits at the end of the bar all day?

It already has a skidplate on it. It is black and it is plastic. I have an aluminum one coming from France that has more coverage for the ends.(?)

I don't know what bar ends are. Do you mean the creapy old guy that sits at the end of the bar all day?

he means bark busters type things... unless sumo'ing, in which case you want bar end sliders for when you low side.

That IS a very nice looking bike Jon!!

he means bark busters type things...

Bark busters are for sallies! Real men take it in the knuckles!

Having said that I shamefully admit I just installed a set of Cycras today.

Call me sally.

I am not sure but I think the sissy bar is upside down?

Yup first thing to go was that damned tailight structure.

as far as bark busters, they are somewhat optional here in the west, back in the eastern woods, you would be missing digits :angry:

I used to think the same thing on my CR500.

I've since found bark busters are a great way to keep your levers in one piece should you biff it.

My buddy had a very slow off in Baja out by the Comundu's (think big rocks) and the only reason his front brake lever was intact was the trashed barkbuster (he cheaped out, but they still saved his a$$). That would have been a long 3 days back. :angry: