darylhunter

Remember the Liberty

Boy this steams me.

Every so often the topic comes up again and I find myself near tears and shaking with anger.

This time I was reading an e-version of James Bamford's "Body of Secrets" on my Kindle and got to the section on the Liberty.

For those who don't know about it, there's a memorial site at: http://www.gtr5.com/index.html

I think I'll stop here and go to the gym and try to work off some steam . . .

Boy this steams me.

Every so often the topic comes up again and I find myself near tears and shaking with anger.

This time I was reading an e-version of James Bamford's "Body of Secrets" on my Kindle and got to the section on the Liberty.

For those who don't know about it, there's a memorial site at: http://www.gtr5.com/index.html

I think I'll stop here and go to the gym and try to work off some steam . . .

YES! Thanks for reminding me I'm not the only one who gets pissed about that situation.

I have never heard about this incident. Thanks for bringing it to light...

Back from the gym and much better now.

It's bad enough that Israel acted as they did, but then for our own government to try sweep the event under the rug is crazy.

Damn it, starting to boil again . . .

I do remember that Israel said that the pilots could not identify the ship as American. It was flying a holiday flag. The biggest flag you will ever see. The planes got close enough that the crew of the ship could see the pilot’s faces, yet they could not see our flag? Yeah right! There was no way they could not see our flag!

But we must put everything in context. Israel was about to go to war with Egypt and other Arab states. The liberty was an electronic intelligence gathering ship (also know as spy ship) of the US Navy. Some of the officials in the Israeli government were afraid that Johnson would let the Arabs know that they were about to be attacked. The ship was attacked to stop it from gathering signals intelligence about the up coming attack. From that point of view I understand the attack, I don’t agree with it, I don’t like it, but I understand it.

But to me the worst thing was the complicity by our government in the cover up! Israel has no bond to the liberty sailors because they are personnel of a foreign navy. They were in the way of it’s national objectives. The United States can not say that. Those sailors were ours and they deserved our government’s support and a full investigation and accounting of the incident!

That and the Liberty was a witness to the aggression of Ariel Sharon. They (on the Liberty) saw some very nasty stuff that Sharon didn's want them to see.

But guys our govt knows what is best for all of us and is just trying to keep our virgin eyes and ears safe from all the ugly the world has in it.

i have tried to be well rounded, history included....i have not really known about this....shame on me...i guess kudos to media.

but things like this, a "gubbermint cover up", only give my whack job friends a foot to stand on when they go on and on

about things JUST LIKE THIS!!!!

the whole middle east thing is amazing to me....but religion etc is an awesome force....also, amazing to me. :good::ph34r:

but when the people "in charge", allow this to happen it ruins the faith necessary for it to function in the first place....argh.

bah....gonna go watch Deadliest Catch....

Blind :o...FINALLY gets to use the "angel" smiley :o

To get a different perspective on the entire story, I'll pass this on to my Isreali roommate and see if he knows anything about it from their national standpoint.

This happened 9 years before he was born but may have heard about it at some point.