akcooper9

08 WR450 + Dunes = Questions

Well my plans fell through on the 85 atc 250r that I was going to get (need more work that it was worth :bonk: )

None the less, I'm leaving for Glamis on Thursday and I am taking the WR. I figure an 8 cup paddle will do the trick.

My questions are:

1) Do you guys remove the mud flap or not?

2) Gearing...I currently have 14/50 (stock is 13/50) will I be fine with this or should I go back to stock?

3) Below is the current setup, is there any thing else I am missing?

thanksgiving08009.jpg

I don't have a WR, but have always just swapped the rubber in the past... (DR350)... Gearing is fine once you get on top, and your bike has a better power to weight ratio, and you're a better rider than me... You should change as little as possible (IMO)

I've always heard you should remove the mud flap or the paddle will do it for you...

It's not required for bikes, but good safety is a flag.

You can get them for about $10, plus a few bucks for a small bracket that attaches to the rear axle.

As the kind officer of the Imperial County Sheriff was so eager to point out to Joliet, Wayne and I as we travelled through the dunes by Glamis during the last Beach to River ride. ALL vehicles, including dirt bikes, are required to have safety flags. He was quite insistant on it and I'm pretty sure if the winds weren't whipping sand around like we were in a giant sandblaster he'd have cited us for it too. I just think he didn't want to stand outside in the sandstorm while asking for license and registration.

Oh yeah the other thing you'll need. Permits. Get this brainery, the main vehicle that transports your group to the dunes must have a permit. So the truck needs a permit if it hauls the toybox, 100 bikes and 100 friends. But if your 100 friends ride their bikes to the dunes than you need 100 permits. Real bright lawmaking there. Yeah the Sheriff wanted to cite us for that too. Thank you wind.

I have no input on paddles/mudflaps but mine with a knobby and stock gearing had no prob at Buttercup. Your bikes lighter than mine & you're much lighter than me. I'd vote for mount the paddle up & go. (heeding Erick's advice)

Flag: Absolutely. You're going to the ISDRA & flags are required. The folks we met Sat didn't read the rules and we ended up hacking a hole in a 2x4 to countersink the flag bolt into & duct taped it to his fender. I rigged something to my rack prior to going.

Permits: Absolutely. Bummer is the annual isn't from now 'til next year at this time....it expires in Sept. $90. I bought the week pass for $25 (make sure you tell them what day you'll start out there cuz they punch out an "activation" date). Got mine at Motoworld.

They also have a bracket that mounts to one seat bolt but requires a drill into the rear fender for the flag.

The Q&A on the ISDRA site is helpful. "if I get a $100 ticket for no pass, do I still have to buy one? Yup, or you get another one to make a matching pair.)

Your bikes lighter than mine & you're much lighter than me.

My 08 is like 1 pound lighter then yours (according to the yamaha website!) and for me weighing more than you...well i do come in at about 230!

I'd vote for mount the paddle up & go

Im doing that...might as well make it "easier" on the bike and me :)

Flag: Absolutely.

I got one already but im not sure how i am going to mount it...maybe just zip tie it to my back pack!

Permits: Absolutely.

I got a season pass from a friend for the truck....

I have a new paddle you can have, just come be and pick it up. I live in Rancho Penasquitos. If you are going to ride for a couple days bring a extra air filter to swap out. On the two stroke we would rich up the main jet 1 or 2, I don't know it its the same with a 4 stroke. I will PM with my number if you want the tire. Kelly

Have you mounted the paddle and check clearance in the front of the swingarm. If you drop a tooth in the front sprocket it will help in the clearance plus quicker gearing is better out there, I run 8 cups on my kids CRF 450 R, 10 on my KTM 525 exc and 10 on my KTM 690. All my bikes have 8 lbs psi in rear and 10 - 12 in front. Myself and Crawdaddy ride bikes almost exclusively out there.

Have you mounted the paddle and check clearance in the front of the swingarm. If you drop a tooth in the front sprocket it will help in the clearance plus quicker gearing is better out there, I run 8 cups on my kids CRF 450 R, 10 on my KTM 525 exc and 10 on my KTM 690. All my bikes have 8 lbs psi in rear and 10 - 12 in front. Myself and Crawdaddy ride bikes almost exclusively out there.

Ill re-mount the wheel tonight...I figured 8 was the ticket! Thanks for the tip on air pressure...I drop it to 10 in the front and 8 in the rear...

I have ridden my bike with no paddle on superstition and get by just fine...how is it with a paddle? Why do you and C/D like bikes over the sofa's?

Your bikes lighter than mine & you're much lighter than me.

My 08 is like 1 pound lighter then yours (according to the yamaha website!) and for me weighing more than you...well i do come in at about 230!

Well, I was right....you're lighter than me. Off to the gym..... :)

Why do you and C/D like bikes over the sofa's?

Cuz they're not THAT retarded!!!

Jk- I know Chris rides a quad sometimes too. Really, I prefer quads in the dunes... The TW is not too bad.

A paddle is a huge improvement on a dirt bike

Cuz they're not THAT retarded!!!

Hey you said it not me :)

My dad always tells stories about back in the 3 wheeler days how they used to call the quads "sofas"

I have to admit, I wanted to be like my dad this weekend and enjoy the dunes on a 3 wheeler

However, Im down to throw a roost with my WR (only down side is if i want to get on the "road" :) i cant because ill have a freaking paddle on it!)

A paddle is a huge improvement on a dirt bike

Im sure its going to make my already wheelie machine want to wheelie that much more...

Superstition is a whole differant world and would ruin a paddle cuz there is such a great diversity at superstition from hard pack to rocks to great sand but glamis is just sand, sand, sand. Quads are boring and have training wheels. Faster is better even with a paddle, at slow speeds your bike will be looking to take a nap. A motorcycle should not try and follow the same line a quad or dunebuggy does unless obviously is safe to do so, you would be surprised how quick you go over the bars. When me and my boys ride motorcycles in a group we ride outside the line or in back cuz your roost will peel paint. When drag racing quads up olds it is customary to cut in front of quads and roost on them :)

if you have enough clearance, i would leave the flap on unless you want to be cleaning sand out of every part of your rear suspender and motor area for years to come. I know you are no dummy but pay attention to fuel levels cause it tends to burn up alot quicker out in the dunes, and it sucks pushin in that deep sand

Ps throw a crappy chain on if you have it, the sand eats up the o-ring chains pretty good

I know you are no dummy

Im glad some one knows I'm not!!!

BTW the desert tank is staying on just for that reason!

As for the chain, Im still running the stocker which has 40 hours on it so its on its way out soon enough!

Hey Aaron, Ive got a flag mount tou can borrow if you want to. It unbolts easy. PM me if you need my number again.