Sign in to follow this  
ShocknAwe

Broc Glover's 2009 BREATHE EASY Charity Ride

Broc Glover's 2009 BREATHE EASY Charity Ride was very fun and well organized. This unique ride combined cruisers, sport bikes, adventure bikes, and dual sport bikes. The weather was perfect. The emcee and his interviews of legendary racers were awesome. His famous line to the legendary racers was "Once a racer, always a racer." There was too much pavement for my tastes (40+ miles), but I will do it again because it was fun and for a good cause. This was my first ride with Marc Lemeiux. The dual sport terrain was relatively easy (mostly fireroads). We were very excited to hit dirt after the first 20 miles of pavement, so excited that I drove too fast around a turn on deceptively slick terrain and slid out (video to follow). Ron Lechien was riding right behind me and swerved around me with the gracefulness of a legendary motocross racer. Joliet, Schwinn, and N2TM also rode.

Video will follow. Is it possible to view the uploaded photos without logging in?

post-5435-1238459926_thumb.jpg

That's cool :good: - Glad the Dogger did not run you over! Should have known Schwinn would be there!

It was a lovely day in Temecula!

Shameless moto celebrity groupie ShockNAwe will do anything to get close to legendary racers! On the first dirt portion of the ride I saw an XR650 coming up really fast, so I eased over and caught a faceful of roost. I noticed the name on the jersey and realized that I wasn't going so slow after all. ShockNAwe managed to hold him off for about a nanosecond, but slid out the rear and made a nice 180 coming up "face to knobby" with Ron Lechien. I think it would have been much cooler to go home with "The Doggers" knobby tracks on your helmet, but ShockNAwe just settled for autographs. Later, I noticed Scot Harden pulled off to the side of the fire road dealing with a mechanical issue on his Husky. A few minutes later he blew by me and I got another face full of roost and was able to imagine what it would be like to see Dakar or Baja in person. I'm developing quite an impressive list of Moto Celebs who have peppered me with rocks and dirt! Back at the venue we grabbed a snack and bumped into some guy named Roger with a funny euro accent. Overall it was a fun day, but next year they need to get a better D-S loop. It was really more of an Adventure Bike loop because it was mostly paved with some poorly maintained fire roads. My DR650 is really fun on tight narrow paved roads like Chihuaha Valley Rd. and OK on curvy secondary roads, but we ran about 40 miles on HWY 79 so a plated dirt bike wasn't the hot ticket. The level of dirt-technical riding was "minivan passable" and I spent a lot of time shadowing an R-1200GS with street tires. Granted, he was a very smooth and skillful rider, but the terrain didn't reach the level you would expect for a D-S ride. I will definitely attend next year, just maybe on my street bike.

Marc

I have this bug that is going around and almost missed the event. I got up a little before 6am and was going to head down to the shop and fix the flat on my Husky, but I felt like crud. I emailed N2TM and ShocknAwe and told them I would not be meeting them there. I went back to bed and felt much better by 8am, so I decided to head down there after all. I didn't have time to fix my flat so I decided to ride the Virago down, I called Schwinn and he said he would ride with me. I have never seen so much riding talent in one place before. I am so glad I went. My only disappointment was that when we were getting our autographs, Roger DeCoster was not there. However he was there by the time we were done with the ride and I had him sign my helmet.

P3300049.jpg

Schwinn and I rode with the cruizer bikes led by Ricky Johnson (except when we did Palomar mountain and then Schwinn led :huh: )and it was a blast. I think this will be a yearly event for me. :lol: Ken

Nice batch of celeb shots, good cause. Glad it went well.

Here are a couple of pics from Rick Clemson on Palomar. They can be viewed or purchased at www.rickclemson.com.

Schwinn

palomar3.jpg

Ricky Johnson

palomar2.jpg

Joliet

palomar1.jpg

I was wondering where the dualsport guys were headed to find dirt. 40 Miles is a little far on pavement.

It was a nice turn out. I had to park way up the street around the corner near denny's and walk to the event because I didn't get there until around 11:30.

I wanted to do the street ride but cracked a rib last week. I shouldn't have even left my house, but since it was so close to me I decided to drop in to make a donation and envy the people getting ready...hope to do it next year.

Jim

I was wondering where the dualsport guys were headed to find dirt. 40 Miles is a little far on pavement.

We rode 20 miles east on 79 then a right turn onto the dirt, up and over Palomar Divide, back down to 79 near the glider port then east and a left at Lost Valley Road. Past Indian Flats campground onto the dirt again then onto Chihuahua Valley Rd. back to 79 west to starting point. Longer miles than originally posted with 92 miles logged. It was a fun ride, caught some air, did some power slidin and have a few bug splatters on my goggles. The Husky ran great. The turn out was huge and I departed on the ride first and returned first to avoid the 'cluster f...../dust out' enroute, glad I did, after hearing all of the stories after they returned. I had a nice visit with Broc's mom. She told a few stories of him growing up nearby in El Cajon. A good time was had by all for sure. Thanks Ken for encouraging us to go. :angry:

I had a nice visit with Broc's mom. She told a few stories of him growing up nearby in El Cajon. A good time was had by all for sure. Thanks Ken for encouraging us to go. :o

Sounds like a fun ride.

I remember Broc Glover when he first started racing. The first time I saw him, he was a little short guy with long blond hair riding a Kawasaki Trail Boss spray painted day-glo green at Dehesa raceway. He clobbered the 125 novice class with the bike. :angry:

FYI, I contacted Rick Clemson via email and he said it was fine to post the pics from his site with his email and copyright on them. Ken

Videos of Broc Glover's 2009 BREATHE EASY Charity Ride for Cystic Fibrosis in Temecula, California

Click on "HQ" on bottom right of screen for High Quality

Celebrities - 29 seconds

Pre-Start - 29 seconds

Start of ride with all bikes -45 seconds

Dual Sporting Thru Old Town Temecula - 1 min 29 seconds

All Types of Bikes Thru Temecula - 27 seconds

First Dirt and Ron "Dogger" Lechien swerves around Shock's slideout - 1 min 4 seconds

Shock and Marc L. on Palomar Mountain - 45 seconds

Pitstop at Palomar Mountain - 50 seconds

After Pitstop - 1 min 11 seconds

Awesome pics would have loved to be there but didnt figure it was WRR territory sounds like I was right a bit too much pavement to make it fun + riding up there