ShocknAwe

Bastard Child (2 Stroke) Came Out of Closet

Thanks to a crappy economy, I won an eBay auction for a 2004 KTM 200 XC (2 stroke) for $1,575 that has an AZ plate.

A little background - at age 15 I worked as a bus boy. With money saved I bought a 2 stroke dirt bike to ride around woods trails and fields near my midwestern home. At age 16, I sold the bike and bought a car and a street legal cruiser (Yamaha Virago). Fast forward 20 years to age 35 (mid-life crisis), a failed engagement (relationship crisis), a good job, and San Diego; these things prompted me to purchase something in the summer 2008 that I always wanted - a dual sport.

20 years is a long time to remember my old bike. When I started up this 2 stroke for the first time today, I realized that this is what I had as a kid. Not to say my 4 stroke dual sport isn't fun or bad ass, but this 2 stroke was the real deal. Many SDAR members have provided valuable offroad riding tips. But arguably the best way to learn offroad riding is to ride a 2 stroke. It was a different beast. It forces you to throttle, lean your body, use the clutch, be aggressive, but have throttle control or you are in serious trouble. Its lighter weight and power band made it float over the deepest sand without a stabilizer. This 2 stroke was the real deal, an old school dirt bike. You gotta love that bastard child. It will love you back if you never turn your back on it or underestimate it. My personality fits the 2 stroke because I am more cautious than most, but have enough experience and aggressiveness to move it.

So xxxinsd and I rode Painted Gorge - both testing new bikes. A few stalls, but we stayed verticle the whole day in the sun and solitude. For me, it will be hard not to ride the 2 stroke because it was a totally different experience. xxxinsd said I'd either hate it or love it (turns out the latter was true). Pictures are attached.

post-5435-1236582795_thumb.jpg

post-5435-1236583805_thumb.jpg

post-5435-1236583864_thumb.jpg

post-5435-1236583900_thumb.jpg

post-5435-1236583943_thumb.jpg

post-5435-1236584001_thumb.jpg

post-5435-1236584062_thumb.jpg

post-5435-1236584132_thumb.jpg

post-5435-1236584192_thumb.jpg

post-5435-1236584208_thumb.jpg

post-5435-1236585506_thumb.jpg

There is nothing like a two stroke for pure dirt riding fun. Glad that you are enjoying your new bike. I just had to get rid of my KTM two stroke, but luckily I have other two strokes left (so far) to ride.

Nice grab off ebay! Where is the "gate" at Painted Gorge? The BLM folks said it's locked 'til June for "lambing" so I didn't drag my family out there a few weeks ago. If the gate's far enough in to offer some riding and views, I'd like to know. The colors there are great and my step daughter is in the "I love rocks" phase of life so she would find it interesting.

ken; the gate is just past the "play area" we were at last time

Ozzy; bad form... You didn't even mention Paul coming out of the closet... Brandon; good for you helping Paul out with his first try... I mean, after that "experiment" in high school

Paul; two strokes rock

There is nothing like a two stroke for pure dirt riding fun.

True.

I will snap some photos of the bike. I did not bring my helmet camera because xxxinsd and I were supposed to just put around for an hour to test bikes. Yeah right. Usually Brandon likes plans and destinations. Not this time. We ended up ripping through the desert like wild animals - just getting lost and loving it. It was like being a kid in a candy store.

My new bike was sooo much fun i decided to keep it . I will have to tell the kid its off limits to him though. with all the engine mods i was thinking that I was not going to like it but i doo but with respect. the cams,porting and poop pipe probly make it worth learning. totaly diffrent then my xr400. but way more fun. just need a big tank cause it has an appitite and it came with a wr bottom end that ill take the gearset and stator out of.. but sundays ride was suppose to be a 1 hr tour but ended up in the hills with eyes good ride we both learned something new

xxx

B)B)