fester

Question about Long Loop Ride in Anza Borrego

I'm a new expert level rider to this forum but have been to AB for a long time (when you could ride up Coyote Canyon all the way to Anza). I'm looking to make a loop ride from Banner Store, down Rodriguez Canyon, slab to Pinyon Mountain Road, Fish Creek to Split Mountain, north on Old Mine Road to 78, slab to Ocotillo Wells (fuel up), Shell Reef, Cross Over Trail, Pumpkin Patch (Tule Wash), Arroyo Salado, Short Wash, up and back to Font's Point, Inspiration Wash to sand dunes (County Dump), slab to Borrego Springs (fuel up), slab up Montezuma Grade to Jasper Trail, J.T. to Yaqui Flat area, slab back to Banner Store.

I have never been down Rodriguez Canyon or Jasper Trail so I'm not familiar with these. Everywhere else I have been but I admit it has been at least 5-10 years.

My questions, have any of you done this loop? How long of a journey is this? Is too long of a journey in one day? Is GPS required for this ride or is my map from the Lowell Lindsay's book good enough? I do not have a GPS. Are there posted trail markers?

Any help anyone can provide is most helpful. Thanks!

Marc

How long of a journey is this? Is too long of a journey in one day? Is GPS required for this ride or is my map from the Lowell Lindsay's book good enough? I do not have a GPS. Are there posted trail markers?

Marc

It's about ~125 Miles....start early and you can knock it out no sweat........the turn off for Rodrigues Spur is a HARD left going up the hill....you'll see it about a mile up the main trail after you pass through the gate on the lower end of the trail.........not familiar with Lindsays book but sounds like you know your way around Pinyon Rd./Rock-a-tillo Smells pretty well.......once you leave Borrego Springs, the turn off for Culp Valley Truck Trail is about ~6.5 miles up S22 after you make the left turn onto S22 from Palm Canyon Rd. (the Culp turn off will appear on your left shortly after the passing lane begins on S22)........when you reach the top of Culp (~3.5 miles) there's a trail sign for Jasper (hang a left)......Jasper will run you over/down to Grapevine (after another ~3.5 miles).......left again on Grapevine......and Grapevine will run you back out to 78 after a final ~5.5 miles.....hang a right and you'll be back at Banner Store after a final ~9 miles of pavemnt on 78

Go get it!

Fester_Loop.doc

Our Day 2 Desert Dash is very similar to the loop you're talking about. It is roughly 150 miles, the one you described. Easily done in a day. Jasper Trail, Culp Valley, and Rodriguez Canyon are all fun. If you're an expert level rider, none of this is difficult.

I use the Earthwalk Press map of Anza Borrego State Park, which has ALL these trails on there, and it's pretty easy to find your way around. No, not many trails are marked with names.

If you're a good navigator, it's pretty hard to really get lost out there. If you know north from south, etc., you can always find pavement by heading in either direction if you do get lost.

Hope this helps.

Maybe someone will want to go with you from here.....have fun !!

CORRECTION: Some trails are marked, some not.

Crawdaddy did the formal tour layout for ya......that's the way he is :):blink:

Ha !! Crawdad and I responded the same time, Chris beat me to it....... :blink:

the map in lindsay's book is great. Its all I ever use and I've never got lost out there. Most of it is marked, especially the washes once you go up towards fonts point. You can do this all during daylight if you go fast. Have fun.

How long of a journey is this? Is too long of a journey in one day? Is GPS required for this ride or is my map from the Lowell Lindsay's book good enough? I do not have a GPS. Are there posted trail markers?

Marc

It's about ~125 Miles....start early and you can knock it out no sweat........the turn off for Rodrigues Spur is a HARD left going up the hill....you'll see it about a mile up the main trail after you pass through the gate on the lower end of the trail.........not familiar with Lindsays book but sounds like you know your way around Pinyon Rd./Rock-a-tillo Smells pretty well.......once you leave Borrego Springs, the turn off for Culp Valley Truck Trail is about ~6.5 miles up S22 after you make the left turn onto S22 from Palm Canyon Rd. (the Culp turn off will appear on your left shortly after the passing lane begins on S22)........when you reach the top of Culp (~3.5 miles) there's a trail sign for Jasper (hang a left)......Jasper will run you over/down to Grapevine (after another ~3.5 miles).......left again on Grapevine......and Grapevine will run you back out to 78 after a final ~5.5 miles.....hang a right and you'll be back at Banner Store after a final ~9 miles of pavemnt on 78

Go get it!

How killer is that?! How did you make that map?! If I get that software I'm never going to come to bed. What does BXL mean?

I have been a regular at AB for a long time and I've never heard of the phone booth or the Honda monument til I found your site. Very cool! I have not traveled east of Calcite Mine and the Sheep Tanks. Are these two monuments east of Calcite Mine?

Our Day 2 Desert Dash is very similar to the loop you're talking about. It is roughly 150 miles, the one you described. Easily done in a day. Jasper Trail, Culp Valley, and Rodriguez Canyon are all fun. If you're an expert level rider, none of this is difficult.

I use the Earthwalk Press map of Anza Borrego State Park, which has ALL these trails on there, and it's pretty easy to find your way around. No, not many trails are marked with names.

If you're a good navigator, it's pretty hard to really get lost out there. If you know north from south, etc., you can always find pavement by heading in either direction if you do get lost.

Hope this helps.

Maybe someone will want to go with you from here.....have fun !!

CORRECTION: Some trails are marked, some not.

Crawdaddy did the formal tour layout for ya......that's the way he is :):blink:

Would have loved to attend the Dash but I was tied up with other activities. The pictures looked great and a lot of fun was had. Next year ...

I've done a similar ride to this. Other than the starting at Banner store just about all the same plans. It can be done in a day, keep the throttle open and don't stop too often for pictures. I'd recommend calling the Blu Inn and making sure they have gas before you go planning a fuel stop there.

The Husky Monument is in the desert up north of Kramer Junction somewhere off the 395.

WOOPS.........just realized you said "Honda Monument"........I don't know where that one is.

The Phone Booth is in the Truckhaven trails area, north of S22 and north of Ocotillo Wells SVRA.

I'm sure my friend GPS Kevin has the exact location of the phone booth, he's the one who put it there years ago.

How killer is that?! How did you make that map?! If I get that software I'm never going to come to bed. What does BXL mean?

I have been a regular at AB for a long time and I've never heard of the phone booth or the Honda monument til I found your site. Very cool! I have not traveled east of Calcite Mine and the Sheep Tanks. Are these two monuments east of Calcite Mine?

The map is just a page view of a MapSource Screen (Garmin GPS software). BXL is the gas station in Borrego Springs.

Phone booth and Honda Monument are both north of S22 in the TrucKhaven area......I'm not sure where the Calcite mine is located but here are the approximate waypoints for the Phone Booth and the Honda Monument.

Phone Booth: N33 18.086 W116 01.771

Honda Monument: N33 18.671 W116 03.343

Have you ordered that GPS yet? :rolleyes::lol::)