DigDug

Hixon/Alessandro and other trails!

Well - I did it! I got out of the house and finally went for a ride!!!

After many lookers, there was only one taker - humptythumpty (Wayne) was waiting at the park-n-ride when I showed up. We waited 10-15 minutes and headed off. As we got off the freeway in Temecula, we noticed another pickup with a red Kawasaki in the bed following us. It was Chris (from Chris&Tammy). We made a quick stop for gas and headed up to the trailhead. Conditions looked perfect as we suited up and headed up Hixon. The trail was in excellent condition. While there were a few puddles, patches of mud, and ruts; the dirt was the perfect consistency for traction! We motored up Hixon, feeling the temperature drop and white patches of snow showing up as we neared the top. Here's a couple pictures:

Beautiful Day!!!

p2150060wo5.jpg

Chris throwing the KLX around:

p2150062af7.jpg

Followed by Wayne:

p2150064hl0.jpg

PERFECT dirt!

p2150066ao7.jpg

Taking a break to check out the view...

p2150067wu5.jpg

Lots of puddles to play in and around:

p2150070un1.jpg

At the top of Hixon, we headed over the forest road towards the top of Alessandro. We figured we'd give it a look at least. There was still quite a bit of snow up there. Fun stuff until you hit a patch of ice underneath - then it's slip and slide time!!!

Wayne and I taking the view:

p2150072ep4.jpg

Chris roosting in the white stuff:

p2150075kt9.jpg

We hit the top of Alessandro and saw tracks heading down. We also talked to a couple other riders that said they saw riders coming from Alessandro at the bottom. We walked a few yards down from the top to check out the big rock obstacle and decided to give it a go. We figured that gravity would help us get down the trail and we could always take the main road back to the trucks.

Wayne and Chris on the trail:

p2150077wp4.jpg

The ruts get deeper every time I ride that trail:

p2150078jl1.jpg

We quickly descended below the snow line to have excellent conditions on a beautiful trail

p2150079xy0.jpg

More excellent traction

p2150080oa1.jpg

We got to the bottom of the trail and sat around discussing our options. Chris had to head back to the trucks and back home. Wayne and I were discussing our options as Redrider (Dave) came zipping by. He passed by then turned around to come back. He decided to join our group and was out looking to see if he could find us (short ride from his home in Hemet). He knew the area pretty well so Wayne and I decided to follow our new tour guide. We headed into Anza to grab some lunch, then back into the mountains and up a few scenic fire roads. We started to run late and encountered some snow we weren't sure we wanted to fight with as the sun was going down.

Dave playing around in the snow:

p2150083fl1.jpg

p2150084ad3.jpg

From there we backtracked to the trucks, loaded up and headed home. Thanks Wayne, Chris and Dave for keeping me company during a great day in the mountains. I'm looking forward to some of the snow melting and getting back up into the mountains more in the spring.

Great report! I should have jumped on this but only had one ride day this long weekend.....which got rained out today :blink:

Looks like an interesting area and It would all be new to me.

Thanks for the write up, good pics. We need to get another group up there soon. I really want to check those trail out.

<-- check it out! 200 posts...

I had a great time on this ride. Some great scenery and nice technical trails. Forgot to charge the camera battery so I didn’t get many photos.

Thanks Doug for posting the ride and for the cool pictures and write up.

Chris and Dave, nice meeting and riding with you guys. We’ll have to do it again.

Wayne

Doug checking out Chris post-3040-1234848793_thumb.jpg

Chris post-3040-1234848811_thumb.jpg

Doug and Chris where the snow started getting better or worse depending on how you look at it.post-3040-1234848826_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to throw a big roost.post-3040-1234848854_thumb.jpg

How can you not follow a trail like this?post-3040-1234848870_thumb.jpg

Doug and Chris. Top of Allisandro. post-3040-1234848885_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good time. I have been having so much trouble with my back lately that after my little ride on Saturday, I decided to rest my back on Sunday. Glad you guys had a great time.

Thanks Doug and Wayne for letting me tag along. Hope I didn't slow you down to much. I

didn't get to ride with Chris but Kudos to him for making it up Hixon and down Allisandro on

stock tires. Here is a couple of my pics. :rolleyes:

post-8951-1235001319_thumb.jpg

post-8951-1235001437_thumb.jpg

post-8951-1235001503_thumb.jpg

post-8951-1235001565_thumb.jpg

is this an all/partial plated bike ride? that trail looks nice

The two trails (Allesandro and Hixon) are both green sticker, but access to them is licensed vehicles only. Go figure. Hixon is about 7 miles ling and Allesandro is 3.5.

The two trails (Allesandro and Hixon) are both green sticker, but access to them is licensed vehicles only. Go figure. Hixon is about 7 miles ling and Allesandro is 3.5.

Actually, you're right. Hixon and Alessandro are both green sticker as is the forest road on top of the mountain that connects them. There is also a few more miles of green-sticker legal stuff (the spur that goes down to the "Nutcracker" trail). The big kicker is that Bautista Canyon Road (the road that connects the bottoms of the trails) is street legal only. That means if you go up Hixon and down Alessandron on a green sticker bike, then you have to go back UP Alessandro in order to be legal - no bailing out back to the trucks.

Here's a link to the forest service OHV map for that area: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/docu...san_jacinto.pdf

thanks for the info!!

so best to park at start of hixon , ride up hixon meet with sandro, ride down sandro turn about ride up sandro and down hixon back to parking @ a 21 miler..........hm OK 2x.......for 42 miles,,, I have been puttin this ride off for a long time and seeing alot of posts about it. thanks again

Robertaccio,

I have an interest in going sometime (green sticker).

Hobiee also said he was interested in the area.

Please post when you're free.

Beezzz