Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

McCain again 01/25/09

My back , hip and backside all hurt from spending too much time behind the wheel during the week :( , but I was determined to go and have a good trail ride this weekend, and besides that....there was chocolate to be had. :rolleyes: So out the door I went and straight over to pick up Jeff. As usual lately, it was another two stroke day and we didn't have any idea what kind of weather would be in store for us when we arrived at the staging area; all part of the adventure. ;)

Partly cloudy skies were overhead as we drove eastward out of the San Diego area. Boulevard proved to be quite a bit chillier and sunny when I stopped to get candy at the Candy Cottage. It was about 42 degrees out there and as it often is during winter months, fairly windy. Between wind gusts, the air felt almost warm enough to be acceptable, but when it was blowing, it felt like I needed a pair of mittens to keep my hands warm. :o

A few other vehicles were out at the staging area when we arrived, but no "newbie" member who was supposed to be riding with us today. Jeff unloaded the bikes and we got geared up. Just about then I spotted Beezzz's truck pulling in. We shook hands all around and Brian got unloaded and suited up for the trails. He had a 2006 KX250 two stroke much like the one I had at home in the garage, except that his was properly trail seasoned, whereas mine was still an unscathed piker with only a few hours on it. No matter; I was riding my properly seasoned KDX220, cushy, quiet and geared for the fun at hand. So it was a totally two stroke trail trio.

We did all the usual fun stuff and made a large loop back to the trucks. Out on the trail, we came across a young woman on a Honda. She said hello to us as we passed her. We were heading out on a small closed loop and I thought we might see her again as we came back from the loop, but there was no sign of her. Later, on another trail, we were taking a break and two KTM riders approached. One of them was club member (SDMXR). He asked if we had seen a girl on a Honda and we said we had, but that she only said hello to us, but the two KTMers said that she was supposed to be riding with them and somehow had gotten separated. We promised to keep an eye out for her and help her find her way back to the staging area if we came across her again, but we never did. I suppose that she finally got reunited with the rest of her group and found her way back to their truck. I hope so anyway.

Beezzz seemed to be having plenty of fun on the trails and was probably a little sad that we cut our day short after the first loop, but my back was aching and I still had some errands and shopping to do before dinnertime. We loaded up, waved goodbye and drove out as Brian was pulling on his helmet for a little more saddle time. We'll get together with him again and put in a longer day on the trails. It was nice meeting and riding with him, anyway. :)

I suited up right away to keep the chilly wind at bay.

CIMG3642.jpg

Jeff warms up the EXC.

100_1492.jpg

Beezzz arrives with his limey green bike. What good taste in dirt bikes, if I do say so myself.

100_1494.jpg

Stopped on a windy ridge to look at the desert vistas.

100_1496.jpg

There's one now....

100_1503.jpg

Plenty windy up here, as Brians hair will attest to....

100_1504.jpg

100_1502.jpg

CIMG3647.jpg

Jeff in the rocks

100_1506.jpg

KTM riders out on the trail.

CIMG3656.jpg

Looks like good times, I gotta get up there soon. Instead of riding today I went for a run. What a dumbass!

My back , hip and backside all hurt from spending too much time behind the wheel during the week :( , but I was determined to go and have a good trail ride this weekend, and besides that....there was chocolate to be had. :rolleyes: So out the door I went and straight over to pick up Jeff. As usual lately, it was another two stroke day and we didn't have any idea what kind of weather would be in store for us when we arrived at the staging area; all part of the adventure. ;)

Partly cloudy skies were overhead as we drove eastward out of the San Diego area. Boulevard proved to be quite a bit chillier and sunny when I stopped to get candy at the Candy Cottage. It was about 42 degrees out there and as it often is during winter months, fairly windy. Between wind gusts, the air felt almost warm enough to be acceptable, but when it was blowing, it felt like I needed a pair of mittens to keep my hands warm. :o

A few other vehicles were out at the staging area when we arrived, but no "newbie" who was supposed to be riding with us today. Jeff unloaded the bikes and we got geared up. Just about then I spotted Beezzz's truck pulling in. We shook hands all around and Brian got unloaded and suited up for the trails. He had a 2006 KX250 two stroke much like the one I had at home in the garage, except that his was properly trail seasoned, whereas mine was still an unscathed piker with only a few hours on it. No matter; I was riding my properly seasoned KDX220, cushy, quiet and geared for the fun at hand. So it was a totally two stroke trail trio.

We did all the usual fun stuff and made a large loop back to the trucks. Out on the trail, we came across a young woman on a Honda. She said hello to us as we passed her. We were heading out on a small closed loop and I thought we might see her again as we came back from the loop, but there was no sign of her. Later, on another trail, we were taking a break and two KTM riders approached. One of them was club member. He asked if we had seen a girl on a Honda and we said we had, but that she only said hello to us, but the two KTMers said that she was supposed to be riding with them and somehow had gotten separated. We promised to keep an eye out for her and help her find her way back to the staging area if we came across her again, but we never did. I suppose that she finally got reunited with the rest of her group and found her way back to their truck. I hope so anyway.

Beezzz seemed to be having plenty of fun on the trails and was probably a little sad that we cut our day short after the first loop, but my back was aching and I still had some errands and shopping to do before dinnertime. We loaded up, waved goodbye and drove out as Brian was pulling on his helmet for a little more saddle time. We'll get together with him again and put in a longer day on the trails. It was nice meeting and riding with him, anyway. :)

Hey Mimi, Jeff and Beezz,

Nice meeting you guys out on the trail - after we left you, we headed back to camp to see if she had returned - she hadn't. We fueled up to go back out to find her; and just as we were going headed out to look for her, she rode up. She met up with some riders who rode with her back to camp - she was fine. While we stopped at all the forks throughout the day, we obviously missed one. Good news is that everything worked out - just another reminder to have a plan out on the trail. Mistakes: we should of had her ride in the middle the entire day, we mixed it up after a while of riding, and when we lost her, she was riding sweeper - we should have had her in the middle the entire day. And the easy one, make sure that the person behind you sees you before starting on a trail. How many times has that been said? As I said, it all worked out, but it would have made for a better day had we been able to stay together.

Anyway, nice talking with all of you and we'll see you on a ride soon.

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the update. We were concerned when I saw you and your friend at your camp without her there.

Beezzz

Matt,

Thanks for the update. We were concerned when I saw you and your friend at your camp without her there.

Beezzz

Ditto that. :rolleyes:

glad all went well,,,remember to do a pre flight brief,,,,,,,and at mccain proper if lost always head easterly as much as possible and you will eventually hit the (road mccain valley road)

:) great glad to hear everybody is OK, another good ride and a new friend beezzz can't wait for the next ride :) hope to see sdmxr and friend out there again :)

glad all went well,,,remember to do a pre flight brief,,,,,,,and at mccain proper if lost always head easterly as much as possible and you will eventually hit the (road mccain valley road)

Out at McCain, if you are not familiar with the trails, it is easy to become disoriented sometimes. I still get mixed up ocassionally when I ride on trails that I don't use all the time. :) At that riding area, my advise is just keep taking the left fork until you come back to the staging area. :)

Awwww that looks like a great day! Did you buy some chocolates Mimi? Did Jeff eat any?

She offered but I declined,at $3.50 a turtle I would have to work about an hour ;)

Hoo boy, you work cheap. :)

$3.50! That sounds like high grade stuff? Good sugar rush for riding I bet. :unsure: