sandiegoland

Up-Chuck 1000 (California SS1K)

MG_54756e800450.jpg

That's me, about 770 miles into probably the toughest SS1K in recent memory. The riders list read like a who’s-who of the IBA (Iron Butt Association). One of the greatest Iron Butt Riders of all time, Mark Kiecker, 3-time Iron Butt Rally finisher, 2nd place Iron Butt Rally Finisher, youngest Iron Butt Rally Finisher ever, 2nd highest miles ever ridden in an Iron Butt Rally (all by VFR by the way), showed up on an SV650 to kick this twisty packed course in the ass – he took nearly 22 hours to complete the course.

Tom and Rosie Sperry, who have IBA numbers 304 & 305… several Iron Butt Rallies where they exceeded 1000 miles daily for over 10 days, Border to Border to Borders, 48+, 17 Laps of Hell Los Angeles SS1K… had to call it at the 800 mile mark. I quote Tom "This ride was, without a doubt, the toughest 24-hour ride we have attempted to date."

I quote them out of the utmost respect. I was in my own turf and any misstep or mistake in planning would've put me out. I certainly could not have done it in the Winter 2UP as they attempted.

Sorry I couldn't post the report here. There are some details I need to fix and I may need to add some more bits about the weather. It's just faster for me to do that on my own website. Feel free to quote any of it or post any of the photos here in this thread though.

I thought you might find it interesting that 3/6 finishers were sub-liter class bikes... :lol:

UP-CHUCK 1000 RIDE REPORT

Congrats on finishing Craig.......very cool.

Leave it to George to come up with a rather "catchy name"........ the Upchuck 1000 :lol:

Good job Craig. Next time I think you should use the DRZ to give the others a chance :lol: . Ken

Craig, way to go. I'm new to the IBA and my straight run to the Golden Gate and back was a hard 18 hrs for me. What does TAPOT mean? I hope to go for the Butt Burner this year. Again good ride.Kelly

Congrats on finishing Craig.......very cool.

Leave it to George to come up with a rather "catchy name"........ the Upchuck 1000 :lol:

George does not try to hide that he is a sick-twisted-F#$% :lol:

Speaking of Up-Chuck, I was get a little nauseous at the riders meeting with all the cheap cigars... :o

Good job Craig. Next time I think you should use the DRZ to give the others a chance :lol: . Ken

After this one I am pretty certain a "normal" SS1K would be doable on a DRZ... :lol:

Craig, way to go. I'm new to the IBA and my straight run to the Golden Gate and back was a hard 18 hrs for me. What does TAPOT mean? I hope to go for the Butt Burner this year. Again good ride.Kelly

TAPOT De Luz Schoolhouse would mean "take a picture/photo of the Del Luz Schoolhouse".

Because this was a pre-arranged rally-style 1000 miler, the Rallymaster certified the route with additional verifiers. In this case photos that had to be in a certain sequence to prove you stayed on the route.

The advantage then is the paperwork is done by the event. Each individual does not have to apply independently and so forth.

Man I was killed by the 180 miles we did at X-plane a thousand miles is beyond my poor brains comprehension

Man I was killed by the 180 miles we did at X-plane a thousand miles is beyond my poor brains comprehension

Totally different animal. Hopefully a totally different bike too! :rolleyes:

It's a lot less physical than what you did out there... this one was all about prep and perseverance...

But a 1000 miles in one day? I don't even like to drive that far with cruise control

I do still want a VFR or a weestrom to augment my WRR

But a 1000 miles in one day? I don't even like to drive that far with cruise control

Under normal circumstances I would agree, but given the somewhat competitive nature of a rally (though this was not a placing event, but rather a finish or no finish) it really helps keep your focus on task.

I guess the next one is the 1500 miles in 24 hours... :o

So how long did it take you and how often did you stop for fuel/food/bio?

The details, albeit a little convoluted, are in here: UP-CHUCK 1000 RIDE REPORT

But let's see, I was 20hrs 34min of riding, and 23hrs 12min total time out. 35 minutes off course to eat, the rest of the time not riding: taking 20 photos (30mins?), five fuel stops (50mins?), at least 4 pee brakes and one poopie (25mins?), and several stops for a GPS battery swap and peeling off some warm-weather gear (including my Hippo-Hands, the remaining 18mins?). I could more precisely go through my track-log to know exactly... that might be interesting to know at some point... but I'll save that task for if I get snowed in! :o

SDLand, I’ve wanted to do an Iron Butt 1000 for a couple of years now. I thought it would be just fine with my Harley Electra Glide. But after doing around 800 miles in one day a few months ago I thought I wouldn’t be able to walk again. :rolleyes: Maybe if my backside wasn’t so big it wouldn’t have hurt as much. I’m lucky I’m such a macho man or I would have been crying at the end of that little jaunt. It gave me a whole new appreciation of the people who do the iron butt 1000. My helmet is off to you sir. :)

...I thought it would be just fine with my Harley Electra Glide. But after doing around 800 miles in one day a few months ago I thought I wouldn’t be able to walk again...

I dunno... as far as 'tough on the saddle' days, I've had much harder 500 mile days than this one. I didn't even move my feet to the passenger pegs like I do on occasion when I am 1UP. This course and all the twisties might've kept all the muscles moving. :rolleyes:

I dunno... as far as 'tough on the saddle' days, I've had much harder 500 mile days than this one. I didn't even move my feet to the passenger pegs like I do on occasion when I am 1UP. This course and all the twisties might've kept all the muscles moving. B)

Yes moving around really helps. I have road pegs on the Hardly but still find I need to stand up and move around when I’m on the long straight sections. It’s not easy to stand on that pig either. Maybe I should try a Honda? :) Of course riding several hundred miles a day for several days before that part of my trip may not have helped either. :rolleyes:

You are still the MAN for that trip. :)