Ride-Orange

Baja Designs Headset Issues

So the BD headsets arrived today and I plugs them into the Rino 130s. Told R-O Jr. to man his unit and I hits the PTT; "Come In Tokoyo" says I... nothin' :lol:

So when all else fails, read the instructions; "If you're gonna use this with a Garmin, you have to activate the external mic and speaker option. Consult your owners manual" which I did, but there's nothin' in the owner's manual about this function.

"Hello? Baja Designs technical support?"

"Yeah dude..."

"Well, I bought your headset and (blah. blah, blah)... what do I do?"

"Duuuuude... the owner builds those things himself and he's out until Monday..."

"Does he have voicemail?"

"I guesso dude, but he's out 'til Monday...Why doncha call Garmin?"

"Because I bought the headset from you and told you the exact radio I was going to use it for. How about that voicemail?"

"Uhhhh... er... I uhhh..."

"Do you not know how to transfer me to his voicemail?

"I could do it dude, but he's out 'til Monday..."

"Thanks for your "support"..."*click*

A subsequent call to Garmin North America went about the same. At least the Garmin guy admitted that he's as ignorant as I am :lol:

They work great if I key the unit itself, but no PTT. Anybody out there know what to do to make the PTT work?

Wish I could help, it works with the Yaesu without any issues. I hope ya get it figured out.

I used to have a rino so I know just enough to help you here. Go here: http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Rino130_OwnersManual.pdf

Under the radio page option menu go to radio set up. At the bottom there is 'headset type' . I believe you can select there what you are using and it will work. I sold my rino so I hope I am correct. Check it out and let me know if this helps. **Edit** If the headset is a PTT-It must be pressed for the unit to detect the headset.

Thanks for ther online link to the manual Todd. I had found the option in the radio menu earlier and selected the "Use Headset with PTT" option and keyed it up. Still no dice :lol:

Do you have anything to do with Z Racing from Fullerton?

Did you try leaving it on 'ask when detected'? Then key up the PTT? That should do the trick. If that doesn't work I am out of ideas. No affiliation wit zracing in fullerton other than I got one of there stickers about 12 yrs ago and since my last name starts with a Z I decided to adopt zracing as my interweb name. I still have the sticker on my old helmet. Don't tell the guys in fullerton I am poaching their name.

Yeah, I tried that first. I haven't tried to push an hold the PTT down for a bit though... hmmmmm... I'll give that a try.

Your secret's safe with me :lol:

*edit 01/09* Nothin'...

Arrgh- how frustrating.

I've never ported the BD to anything other than the VX, so, while I'm a radiohead, I can't help.

Sorry.

p

Tree took his unit (along with his Rino 530) up to BD yesterday. As he was walking in the door, I was on the phone with Alan, the Owner, who stated that he'd call his radion guru. Apparently the Garnmins have experienced issues with the "Dynamic" mic and need to be swapped with an "Electronic" mic, so that's what Alan is going to try.

I neglected to ask him yesterday, but does the electronic mic have noise cancelling, or will we give-up that feature?

i used a electronic mic for the xplane ride and ask crawdaddy it was way loud compared to the dynamic mics they ran im switching to the dynamic today to try at speed yes they both have the noise cancelling.

missed a great ride rob this weekend

brandon

The electronic mics have a higher gain- it's not that Brandon's were so loud, (they were) but the hi gain sounded like it over-modulated the audio input on their Vx-170s. So the s/n ratio was way off, and it was hard to understand what was being said.

The audio front-end on the Garmin is probably different, you your success may vary.

p

I got my headset back today. They replaced the mic and it is ready to go. I'll fine tune it this weekend.

I got my headset back today. They replaced the mic and it is ready to go. I'll fine tune it this weekend.

Ditto.

I just got my other 130 back from Rino today. It had a problem with the battery terminal posts (one was broken) so I sent it off to them last week for a re-build. $60 and a few days later they simply replaced it with a different re-manufactured unit that looks and acts spankin' new! B)

Also had Alan ship the electronic mics direct and I swapped 'em out myself B) It looks like radio geekyness may be in my blood afterall...

...missed a great ride rob this weekend

brandon

The 540 is running... B) more break-in/testing this weekend and back with you all soon (God willing).