jed

New Chain

So I bought a new chain on Sunday. When I purchase a chain It comes with one master link. What do you do with your master links? Do you save them for emergencies? Or, do you use them for linking your chain together first time around?

So I bought a new chain on Sunday. When I purchase a chain It comes with one master link. What do you do with your master links? Do you save them for emergencies? Or, do you use them for linking your chain together first time around?

I cut my chain where I need it to be and put it together with the new master link. I also carry 3 spares in my tool kit.

??? put the chain together (with the masterlink), make sure you have enough slack when the suspension is compressed,,usually the owners manual has a slack setting to. Install the clip with the closed end forward.

its a good idea to have a masterlink handy in the buttbag

??? put the chain together (with the masterlink), make sure you have enough slack when the suspension is compressed,,usually the owners manual has a slack setting to. Install the clip with the closed end forward.

its a good idea to have a masterlink handy in the buttbag

Is carrying a few links of chain for emergency repairs a good idea? Is it considered a safe option?

Spare master links with a short, extra piece of chain (few links) is good for emergencies, if your chain breaks in the middle of nowhere. A good idea if you're riding out far away from civilization.....while always handy to carry in tool pack, not necessary for local or day rides.

I've also put a dab of silicone caulk on the master link in some cases to help hold it, or a loop of safety wire.

Probably overkill, but I've never lost a master link :-)

And remember that if you put a new chain on worn sprockets, that the chain will wear out much faster than if you replace the worn sprockets with new ones at the same time that you replace the chain. Chain and sprockets should always be replaced as a set for maximum service and safety.

+1 and +2,,,,, from the last 2 posts,,,,,I always clean the master clip with solvent and put 1211 wht threebond on them,,and also new chain and sprocket is always a good idea.

these days to be sure,,if you use a even a good (not top) quality chain,,,we hardly ever see breakages.

I put a master link for the brand of chain I'm using in my fanny pack but first I drill out the holes in the plate so I don't need a press to put it on.

I put a master link for the brand of chain I'm using in my fanny pack but first I drill out the holes in the plate so I don't need a press to put it on.

Good idea.....thanks for the tip on that approach ;)<_<

slick! I have always just used a vice grip and a lot of cussing... your way seems easier.

I will have to try that. I always carry a press in my tool kit, but when pressing on an o-ring master link it is hard to get the master link centered on the chain. It seems like there is always a gap in the back or between the plate and retainer clip. Thanks, Ken

A masterlink is the one thing I don't carry in my tool kit. I'll probably regret that pretty soon, with the way my luck has been running. <_<;)

another tool trick following the BS vice grip method is to grind your vice grips to make them a chain tool,,, just grind a groove across one side of the pincers to allow for the link pins to not get squeezed wnen installing the plate. You can still use the vice grips for other tasks, but for me it is now a dedicated chain link tool. Also on my dirt bikes I never use the stake on type links only the clip type. From what I am reading some of you use the permenant stake on type?

Also I never refer to my waist tool pack as a fanny pack,,,,ask an Oz rider why its a butt bag not a fanny pack.

Now let's all get and ride!!!

Riders, thanks for all the great info. I just wanted to read all of your opinions and knowledge. I appreciate your help.