Jaynen

Prepping for the upcoming ride

So I know we have this info buried in different places, but I am going to play the I am sick and my brain doesnt work card.

I got a few tools for christmas (yay)

bead buddy, tire irons, etc. I have some baby powder, some baby wipes. but I need to buy tubes and I have the little pump/co2 inflator but need more air canisters.

Am I missing anything else major that is on the less extreme end of what I need to bring with me?

Do you guys usually just buy the c02 at like walmart or something and tubes at North County Yamaha etc?

I've also got assorted wrenches I usually carry whatever the 2 most common on my bike were think like 10mm and something else, air gauge, inflator etc.

I don't have a tow strap or space blanket or portable first aid kit, or extra levers etc I am slowly wanting to build the extended stuff up.

spark plug wrench and extra plug...

CO2 cannisters... the ones for BB guns are much cheaper (and a bit smaller)... drop a nut in the bottom of the pump before you put in the cylinder and they'll still work

I have extra levers (clutch, front brake and gear shift, including a perch for the clutch)

A first aid kit is good... I have one called the 'fake name kit'... I bring fake name with me, and he has everything...

I like heavy duty tubes in the tires, and pack light weight tubes... for a 200 mile ride, I will bring one of each size; normally just pack a 21"

I pack a rope and an emergency blanket... also a strobe and some light sticks... flashlight AND a lighter

safety wire...

master link and maybe a few extra chain links

I carry a small bottle of soap water, for ease of fixing flats... and some scabs

and some dayquil for fighting off colds B)

So I know we have this info buried in different places, but I am going to play the I am sick and my brain doesnt work card.

I got a few tools for christmas (yay)

bead buddy, tire irons, etc. I have some baby powder, some baby wipes. but I need to buy tubes and I have the little pump/co2 inflator but need more air canisters.

Am I missing anything else major that is on the less extreme end of what I need to bring with me?

Do you guys usually just buy the c02 at like walmart or something and tubes at North County Yamaha etc?

I've also got assorted wrenches I usually carry whatever the 2 most common on my bike were think like 10mm and something else, air gauge, inflator etc.

I don't have a tow strap or space blanket or portable first aid kit, or extra levers etc I am slowly wanting to build the extended stuff up.

I just bought 25 crossman Co2 cartridges at Big 5 for $14.00. If you want a handful of them swing by the shop and I will give you some. You are going to need enough tools to get your wheels on and off, adjust your chain, and change a spark plug at a minimum. Also put some kind of container with spare nuts and bolts in with your tools.

I bought my spare tubes at Cycle Gear (they are having a sale now). I got the thinnest lightest ones I can find, for that they pack up small and light. I carry a front and rear, but many riders only carry a front. I also carry a patch kit, but I usually just replace the tube and deal with it later. I don't bother carrying my bead buddy, it is kind of bulky and heavy and I always ride with someone else that can hold a tire iron. If I have to change a tire by myself in the shop it is super handy though.

Swing by the shop sometime if you want to go through my tools and stuff to see what I carry. Later, Ken

I remember looking at your pack when we did my tires. Is fouling a plug something to be worried about with EFI or just a precaution? I dont even know what kind of chain links I would need

Make sure you have the wrench(es) that will get your wheels off your bike.

Hi Ken, I recently started working in San Marcos. I would like to come over and meet you. It might be awhile to meet people on rides so if I have the opportunity to meet when I can that would be cool. Plus I would like to pick your brain on DRZ stuff. I need to put new fork springs in. Kelly

Whenever I work on my bike I only use the tools in my fanny pack unless its something that I know I have and I want to use a speed wrench or a something like that. If I run across something that I dont have, I add it to the kit. I carry a 21" tube and everything to change it out.

I remember looking at your pack when we did my tires. Is fouling a plug something to be worried about with EFI or just a precaution? I dont even know what kind of chain links I would need

fouling a plug has only happened to me once... when my bike was upside down for 10 minutes... generally not a problem on modern 4 strokes, especially with EFI

Your bike is probably a 520 chain... I have links and a master link or two... my bike has the rivet type, but I pack a clip type master for trailside repairs... I MAY bring my chain tool for this ride. I can bring extra links and give you some... without a master or two, they are not much help, though.

I ditto what tracy said about wrenching with your fanny pack... I find the wrench in my pack, and ONLY THEN will I crack out the big T handle, or large ratchet from the garage...

Motion Pro Levers with built in wrenches are the best... I love 'em... They are gentle on rims, I haven't pinched a tube yet, they are light and strong.

I bring enough tools to take practically my whole bike apart! And a tow rope.

Ditto on the motion pro tire iron/wrench combo....one for each wheel. Just did a front tire an hour ago like Tracy & Bob said...outta my tool kit I carry on the bike. Combo 10/12mm wrench in addition to others mentioned (for stem nut and tire locks)

I need to add chain links...

I have a couple motion pro irons but need the one with the right size for my rear wheel. Front wheel is the smaller pinch bolts type deal

I am more worried about tipping my bike over during a water crossing than just fouling a plug while riding. Getting the plug out and cranked over to get rid of the water as quickly as possible has always been my method. You need to be able to get your seat, and tank off to get to other things sometimes. And carrying some spare fuses can save you from a tow, especially with EFI. :ph34r: Ken

Hi Ken, I recently started working in San Marcos. I would like to come over and meet you. It might be awhile to meet people on rides so if I have the opportunity to meet when I can that would be cool. Plus I would like to pick your brain on DRZ stuff. I need to put new fork springs in. Kelly

My number is in the members contact info section. You can stop by anytime. Wed and Fri are best. Look forward to meeting you. :ph34r: Ken

I have a couple motion pro irons but need the one with the right size for my rear wheel. Front wheel is the smaller pinch bolts type deal

your front tire probably has pinch bolts AND a larger bolt for the axle... I would guess a 19mm and a 12 or 10mm

My number is in the members contact info section. You can stop by anytime. Wed and Fri are best. Look forward to meeting you. :) Ken

How do I get a password to enter the members contact info section or any of the other members only sections?

My number is in the members contact info section. You can stop by anytime. Wed and Fri are best. Look forward to meeting you. :) Ken

How do I get a password to enter the members contact info section or any of the other members only sections?

You will have to send a PM to KTMrad.