Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Superstition New Years

Another family weekend enjoyed at Superstition Mountain. Our trip got delayed due to our dog, he had a sore foot so we had to take him in to the vet on Tuesday. $500! I grew up on a farm, our animals never saw the vet so I am always in shock when we spend money like that on a dog.

Anyway, we got underway on Wednesday and had plenty of issues to slow our progress. The worst one was when a semi decided it wanted to be in our lane right before Pine Valley. It was about two inches away from the drivers side mirror, pretty scary. Shortly after that the fan clutch gave up on the old motorhome so we had to hear the fan sounding like a hurricane the rest of the way out to the desert. Luckily my friend hadn't left San Diego yet so I had him pick one up so I could change it.

Once we got there and set up camp my buddy Paul and his son Kent showed up. I recently got Paul a free RT180 from craigslist and Gene sold him a CRF80 so it was their first weekend on the bikes. Kent had ridden an auto-clutch DRZ110 once before but this was his learning weekend with a clutch. He did really well.

Here's the bikes.

001.jpg

The campsite. Our usual site was under water. Dry lake bed had turned into a wet lake bed!

002.jpg

Paul giving his son some pointers.

004.jpg

This is what happens when your model rocket doesn't deploy the parachute.

006.jpg

On the trail.

008.jpg

Kent looks like he is tucked in! He was rolling around in first gear all day long, bouncing off the rev limiter. We got him to shift on the second day and he was unstoppable after that.

012.jpg

My son Aaron on the way to Sand Dam.

014.jpg

Here he is thinking about making it up the hill for the first time in '09

015.jpg

And this is him on his first run up. He did about five rides to the top this time and had to come back later in the day to do it again.

016.jpg

Kent and Paul on the way back from Sand Dam. Kent did great, fell a few times but kept going and improved steadily all weekend.

018.jpg

Good job encouraging two new riders! I saw you're lake on the 26th. Some in our camp brought back more samples than they bargained for.

Thx for the report.

Another family weekend enjoyed at Superstition Mountain.

Thanks for stopping by our camp.......good to see ya again.....see ya Friday in Barstow.....