KTMrad

1st Ride - HD XR1200R w/Spaugh & Chief Gunner

First actual ride today on my new toy.......Spaugh showed up on his Ducati 800 Monster

443309358_PvqPD-M.jpg

Then Chief Gunner on his V-Max

443309426_jXvqq-M.jpg

We headed out 94 east at a brisk pace, but I had to keep the XR below 4000rpm max for the first 50 miles of break-in, that was painful......70mph max.

When we reached Cameron Corners, it was over 50 miles so I could open her up to 5000rpm max...85mph.

Brad headed home at Pine Valley, while Chief and I stopped in Pine Valley where it was pretty damn cold, Major's Cafe to warm up a bit.

443309582_7w7h6-M.jpg

443309702_imy79-M.jpg

We ran into another guy named Tony on his SR500 single, slightly modified from stock. I asked him, "Isn't it too cold to be out riding?" ;)

443309474_GGLJF-M.jpg

After Major's, we took Japatul Valley to Lyon's Valley.......now, being able to open the XR up to 85mph, I got to feel her out a little more......bike handles nicely, no wobbles, very stable, nice transitions from corner to corner, and smoothe at 85.

Then we got to the tight section on Lyon's Valley, and I was still impressed by the HD's handling.

Stopped at Ride Orange's house to say hi. He was working on his new "slipper clutch" on his KTM550 (built motor).......my friends laugh at me when I lay my KTM's down to drag them under a gate, but RO lays his down in the driveway to work on it ! :o;)

443309819_uJkXJ-M.jpg

I'm not the only one with a new Christmas toy, Rob's daughter got a nice, shiny new Quad. Judging by her grin, I think she's happy with it.....

443309966_A5uKW-M.jpg

A nice, little, chilly 120 mile ride. So far, I'm really happy with the HD - XR1200. After 500 miles, I get to open her up all the way........can't wait !!

Sounds like a fun ride, but I'm sure you'll enjoy that bike a lot more once it's broken in and Spring and Summer roll around. Brrrrr. ;)

That big motor must have kept the legs warm though. What a cool bike man, I am envious. I rode from the 79 where I live to the Descanso Junction (across from the resteraunt on 79) to buy a case of barly soda at 4pm and it was freezing!!

Thanks for having me along today, that was a nice ride! Good to see you & Spaugh, after eating Christmas eve Leftovers for dinner I wish I had gone all the way to OB with you to get some tacos and calamari ;)

It was nice to see the RO family, it's been awhile. I wonder if that group of Dual Sporters we saw on the way from the RO homestead out to the 94 on Lyons Valley were SDAR riders? :o

Definitely glad I bundled up, it was a little brisk out there but overall the clarity was good and the roads were in pretty good shape considering all the rain we've had. There was only a couple slick wet spots and a couple of spots where there was loose dirt in the road.

Very nice bike you got there! She looked really smooth through the twisties today ;)

Looking forward to our next ride, either a dirty one or a street ride!

I wonder if that group of Dual Sporters we saw on the way from the RO homestead out to the 94 on Lyons Valley were SDAR riders? :o

Those dualsporters......I think were Supermoto's.....and one guy was in my lane when I came around a corner, he was passing his buddies.......luckily we had plenty of room, but I still threw my hand up saying "WTF ?!!"

Yeah, it was a fun first ride, even though chilly.

It was much colder when I decided to ride to OB in the evening, around 8:30pm. There was only one other bike out on Newport...all the sissies stayed home or drove their cages ;):P;)

Then homebound at 10:00pm was even colder !! But it was exhilirating :D

...I think were Supermoto's.....and one guy was in my lane when I came around a corner, he was passing his buddies.......luckily we had plenty of room, but I still threw my hand up saying "WTF ?!!"

He probably thought... "hey those Harley guys DO wave!"

;)

...my friends laugh at me when I lay my KTM's down to drag them under a gate, but RO lays his down in the driveway to work on it ! :P;)

:)

It was sure nice having visitors, thanks for stopping guys!

Two good things about the KTM; they are tough enough to lay on their side to drag under a gate, and you can lay it down to work on the clutch instead of draining the oil :D

This is evidence that I am very close to riding with y'all again. A little break-in (barring a break-down) and I'm back on the trail.

See ya soon!