amgems

Coyote Canyon

Used to ride Coyote Canyon from Anza to Borrego Springs many years ago. I had heard it was closed all year now. Is that true?

Some of the club members just went out there about two weeks ago. It is open in the winter and spring. I think it's just closed during the summer months.

when we were there two weeks ago i think the gate was closed but alex and brad could tell you more

Used to ride Coyote Canyon from Anza to Borrego Springs many years ago. I had heard it was closed all year now. Is that true?

You can get down from the Anza side - It's graded now and there are no difficult sections. I made it in my 3/4 ton pickup truck.

You can get up from the Borrego Springs side into Collins valley. Some guys (Spaugh and crew) did it on bikes a few weekends ago. I've done it in the Jeep. It's got a couple water crossings and a 1/4 mile long rocky section that seems to change in difficulty every season. This bottom section is gated and open only in the winter months (Closed June 1 to October 1 according to this map: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/ABDSPmap.pdf ).

The middle section is closed to everyone but hikers (no bikes/jeeps/etc) by the state, but there was a lawsuit filed on behalf of CORVA/ORBA and a few other agencies, I believe, to have it re-opened. I haven't heard anything about the outcome (other than the route remains closed).

http://www.orba.biz/coyote_canyon.shtml

Sounds like no through traffic. Am I understsnding that correctly? Sounds like you can only go up to a point and then have to turn back, and the same for coming down? Or is there an alternate? detour? that will let you get from Anza to Borrego Spings?

Ya gotta admit - that would make one SWEET dual-sport loop if they ever opened it up!!!

you scare me are you from lakeside?

lakeside where men are men and sheep are scared

I was out there a long time ago and it was posted closed. BUT it was alot of fun riding to the area. Lemme know if you wanna check it out. Lots of trails to explore and a blast getting there.

Jon