Strega

X-Plane Tour - Jan 9-11, 2008

Do you guys have room for one more rider? numbskull/Michael

Great. Just when everything is set, some numbskull wants to go. :ph34r:

First, welcome to the group!

Second, I'm sure there's a cadre in which you'll fit...

p

Do you guys have room for one more rider? numbskull/Michael

Great. Just when everything is set, some numbskull wants to go. :ph34r:

First, welcome to the group!

Second, I'm sure there's a cadre in which you'll fit...

p

great, make me go look that up in that book-thingie... what's another name for thesaurus?

Always room for one more, might wanna ask around for carpooling and sharing rooms to lessen the expense :ph34r:

Does anyone want to split a room for Friday night? I could reserve the room or reimburse someone who already has a reservation.

I just got a call from the Manager at the Ramada in Barstow. They are still holding a block of another 6 rooms for us, they've only had 6 room reservations thus far. They are going to release those rooms VERY soon. There are a few other events going on in town this weekend, so if you want a room at that hotel for the discounted $75, make a reservation ASAP. Make sure you give them the promo code: X-PLANE

The team Sally pep rally bus still has room for another rider and bike. It will be leaving Vista early Saturday morning and returning after the ride Saturday evening. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in riding up with me. :rolleyes: Ken

Crawdaddy:

Please, Please, Please, pretty please. :rolleyes::ph34r:

OK I know I'm late.

Is there any room for a boat, specifically a Boat440?

Have GPS/Radio (standard GMRS/FRS with repeaters, but no MMW radio) and have ridden this ride previously.

Lot's of fun.

If you walk thru the Burro tunnel wear your helmet. There are some low places and you either bump your head or scratch your helmet. Bring a flashlight. It takes about 30-45 minutes to walk thru and back.

Can be sweep rider, lead rider or mid-pack rider. Are you going up rainbow (or the waterfall) rock face?

Crawdaddy:

Please, Please, Please, pretty please. :P:P

Hey man, save the groveling for your wife :lol::lol: ......If you want in you're in......You may be the only guy in the group who has ridden most of this loop before so it would be great for all of us if you're able to join in the fun............

I don't care who comes along........but, as stated before, we will need to break into a few groups after we snap a group photo at the Husky Monument (if not before)....

"My" only plan for Rainbow Basin is to ride the ~4 mile scenic loop and move on......

Looks like it's gonna be pretty nippy Sat morning but bright and sunny after the initial deep freeze on the way out to Husky Monument......

See you knuckleheads Friday night....

Are you going up rainbow (or the waterfall) rock face?

I was wondering the same thing. When I read about "Hero" loops, I thought- aw, well. I ain't no hero. I rode around last time. And yes, watch your head on burro tunnel.

p

due to blowed up bike i will not be making it up to this ride

this sucks.....xxx

this sucks.....xxx

Sorry to hear that! :lol:

The team Sally pep rally bus still has room for another rider and bike. It will be leaving Vista early Saturday morning and returning after the ride Saturday evening. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in riding up with me. :P Ken

Your call (obviously), but I'd STRONGLY suggest you (everyone) find a roommate and drop the ~$35+ on a shared room Friday night (minimum, possibly Sat too if you can swing it)........

I get tired just thinking about a ~3+ hour drive, followed by ~10(?) hour ride, followed by ~3+ hour drive......Hate to break it to ya, but you're 50 not 20 :lol::P:lol::P:P:P

this sucks.....xxx

I thought it was your kid's bike that blew up?........This won't be an expensive trip.......come with us and deal with his bike the following weekend......

I'll look for you guys. I'll be out there with three guys launching out of Cal City. Crawdaddy, PM me the radio channel you guys are going to be using and I'll listen up for an opprotunity to join you guys for a while if the timing works out.

I don't think it's a factor for your ride, but the Rainbow Basin loop is a one way dirt road that runs counter clockwise off the main dirt road, so if you approach it from west to east, you'll have to do a couple of miles of back tracking - not a big deal.

Ride safe and have fun.

Scott

I'll look for you guys. I'll be out there with three guys launching out of Cal City. Crawdaddy, PM me the radio channel you guys are going to be using and I'll listen up for an opprotunity to join you guys for a while if the timing works out.

I don't think it's a factor for your ride, but the Rainbow Basin loop is a one way dirt road that runs counter clockwise off the main dirt road, so if you approach it from west to east, you'll have to do a couple of miles of back tracking - not a big deal.

Ride safe and have fun.

Scott

Will do on the radio channels.......we'll likely be split up into 2 or 3 groups by the time we see ya (if we see ya :lol: ) out on the trail....

Right, I knew about the one way status in Rainbow Basin.......nice to know we won't need to worry (too much) about on-coming traffic in that area......we're hitting Rainbow Basin early and from the east so we'll turn up at the appropriate entry point.......marked entry/exit with Green/Red waypoints to keep everyone "on track" :unsure:

Calling all Rhino or GMRS/FRS users going on the X-Plane ride. Are there any going? Please identify.

Let's try channel 2.

On the ride we can talk about Fake Name and others about the fancy, smancy MMW radio and av/comm equipment they bought. Let them talk about in-line filtering, noise immunity, repeater channels, headsets and Xtal frequencies. We don't need to concern ourselves we have POWER-HOUSE RHINO's!!!

We can also listen to NOAA weather broadcasts. And use with our super secret voice scrambler codes(mux/de-mux). You pick the selectable code. And finally we can position report to within 3 meters. Ha, ha, ha

Remember that's 5 watts xmit p-p-p-p-powerbaby or 221 lb-ft/min or .006 HP or 1.19 cal/sec or for any SDGE people thats 5e-006 Megawatts. Whew.

Or will I be talking to myself??? :unsure:

Calling all Rhino or GMRS/FRS users going on the X-Plane ride. Are there any going? Please identify.

Let's try channel 2.

On the ride we can talk about Fake Name and others about the fancy, smancy MMW radio and av/comm equipment they bought. Let them talk about in-line filtering, noise immunity, repeater channels, headsets and Xtal frequencies. We don't need to concern ourselves we have POWER-HOUSE RHINO's!!!

We can also listen to NOAA weather broadcasts. And use with our super secret voice scrambler codes(mux/de-mux). You pick the selectable code. And finally we can position report to within 3 meters. Ha, ha, ha

Remember that's 5 watts xmit p-p-p-p-powerbaby or 221 lb-ft/min or .006 HP or 1.19 cal/sec or for any SDGE people thats 5e-006 Megawatts. Whew.

This post automatically qualifies you to be a guest speaker at the GPS/Radio "GeekFest 09" whenever we wind up holding it :lol::lol: ......

See ya Friday in Barstow......

All - Roger and I plan on leaving from Escondido at ~1pm on Friday......hopefully we'll be checked in at the Ramada by 5pm......

Let's try channel 2.

Hey Boat,

I have a Rhino but dont have it setup in my helmet. I have a couple other radios that I use for that. If you have the data cable can you bring it? I have one on order but dont know if it will be here by Friday or not.

Hey Boat,

I have a Rhino but dont have it setup in my helmet. I have a couple other radios that I use for that. If you have the data cable can you bring it? I have one on order but dont know if it will be here by Friday or not.

tlking6:

Rhino users united, always willing to help a fellow Rhino user.

Ok will bring cable and can download tracks from my laptop. Right now will be arriving early Saturday morning (6:00 AM) out-of Big Bear.

No helmet set-up :lol:

Still talking to myself :lol:

For a thrill see attachment.

post-2031-1231264478_thumb.jpg

For a thrill see attachment.

Are you sure that's a GPS and not a se.....nevermind.

Blonde_on_One_Arm and I will likely leave around the same time, but plan a shopping trip at Chapparal.

p

I've been promoted!

I'm now King (NOT Queen!) of the radios for this ride- I've been appointed.

Based on the previous lists, it appears to me we have less than a dozen folks on 2m radios. Let's use 146.505 (I'll verify) or Channel 8 if your radio has been programmed by DigDug. With a dozen or less, we can probably manage radio traffic if I'm the only bucket-mouth on that channel.

We'll likely ride as a large group for the first 50 miles to the Husky, then split up from there. But I suggest we all stay on the same freq the entire time. With a little separation, I don't think cross-talk will be a problem, and there are safety advantages to being on the same freq.

I will have my cloning cable available Friday night until about 0830, my bedtime, and I don't want to get into cloning radios Saturday morning, unless you let me know in advance. You don't need to have you radio programmed to use it, since we'll all be on the same freq anyway.

Anybody need help with radio stuff?

p

Unfortunately I won't be able to join you guys this time. I took my bike in for a valve adjustment and it turns out it needs at least a top end. Have a great time and ill see ya next time.

K, one last time. Since Malamute had the late fix :lol: (bummer) I have room in my truck. Leaving RSD around noon Friday and back Sunday without riding...leave about 8ish ...that's AM.

Can pick up enroute or..... If it's not taken and someone wants/needs to break off and come back Sun AM, I have an open spot.