Sign in to follow this  
Beta450

McCain Valley

I will be going to McCain Valley for the first time tomorrow with a coworker and is their anything I need to know about the area? A few questions I have is it a green sticker area and how difficult are the trails. Thanks

I believe it's even Red Sticker safe this time of year.

As far as I remember unless you are street legal you are supposed to stay off the main road. All vehicles must stay out of the wilderness areas. Be careful for opposite direction traffic. Overall it's not a difficult area to ride intermediate at best. There may be a few hills that are more difficult. Lots of whoop-de-does, but fun to ride nonetheless.

Cheers

It's a good place to ride. Not too large an area, but a lot of trails. Coarse sand and hard pack, not so much loose rock, but lots of rock slabs if you choose to ride them. If you go during or after a rain, it's really fun. Make sure that your bikes have their current stickers (red or green) and spark arrestors. The rangers are very strict about enforcement when they are patrolling the area and will ticket you for everything they can. Other than that, they are nice. :D

If you have plated bikes, you can ride up the road to some legal trail riding areas on the left hand (or west) side of the road sort of near the end of the road. Anywhere on the east side is all off-limits for motorized vehicles.

beta450- is that your bike?

Like the others said; most of it is easy, but the trails are very bermed... When inexperienced quads are coming the other way, it is almost impossible to avoid a head-on

The earlier you get there, the better. Park in the ohv area near the tree and there is no daily fee but you need an adventure pass ( I think) the camp areas do have a daily fee

For more of a challenge, ride the two "trails" on either side of the large rock slab. Jumping on top of boulders and off can be a challenge, too

If you have a plate, head south on the main road and check out sacatone overlook for a great view of the trestles.

Look up ride reports on the area here, and you will see the main wash and some trails.

Known as McCain and Lark

The earlier you get there, the better. Park in the ohv area near the tree and there is no daily fee but you need an adventure pass ( I think) the camp areas do have a daily fee

It is BLM land, not Forest Service, so no Adventure Pass is necessary. :D

Just got back from the ride in McCain Valley and we had a great time. It was nice getting away from riding in the dezert and seeing green instead of 300 shades of brown. A group was having a trials competition and that was the first time I had seen them in person and wow they were really good. Cant wait to go back.

Just got back from the ride in McCain Valley and we had a great time. It was nice getting away from riding in the dezert and seeing green instead of 300 shades of brown.

I agree that McCain is nicer than the desert floor, although McCain is desert too, just high desert with a little more rainfall to make it prettier. :D

I wish the San Diego Trials club was more vocal...I have run into their comps before last time was at McCain but never have an idea when they are doing their events (anyone??) I want to sign in the non trials bike class (which they have), it should be a blast. R

I wish the San Diego Trials club was more vocal...I have run into their comps before last time was at McCain but never have an idea when they are doing their events (anyone??) I want to sign in the non trials bike class (which they have), it should be a blast. R

Here's the website for their events for Southern Cal... :lol:

http://www.atatrials.com/