tntmo

Thanksgiving weekend in Superstition

My family has done Thanksgiving in the desert for the past several years, and this year is no exception. We'll probably head out Wednesday afternoon, but may be on the road Thursday morning and head home Sunday around noon.

We'll be at the Superstition OHV, on the dry lake bed on the left (west) side of Wheeler Road at about mile marker 3.5 or so and a few hundred yards off the road. If anyone is going to be out there, swing on by and say hi. Hopefully my turkey turns out good!

We'll be out Friday morning. Going with neighbors who are starting Tuesday and don't know where we'll be. I'll definately stop by. What set up should I look for?

We'll have a grey Tundra 4 door with grey 18' toybox. 2 WR's, White LTZ 400, Yamaha 125 Utility Quad. Should be two other rigs with us...black Tahoe with 20' white toybox and some sorta condo on wheels like Schwinns.

UPDATE: About 6 miles in on Wheeler, look left. About 1/4 mile west of the faded orange metal sign (set back off the road)

What set up should I look for?

I won't have a huge circle of motorhomes/trailers. I think there will be my motorhome (1982 Tioga, about a 20 footer with a US flag flying proudly off the back), my friends small toyhauler behind a Toyota truck, and another friend in a S-10 pickup, she's probably tenting it. If you see a shephard mix, a husky and a dachshund then you are in the right camp.....couldn't imagine you'd see that group anywhere else.

Friend of mines dog got bit by one of those last year at this same time. Darn near killed him. Luckily, for the dog anyway, there was a vet in Brawley open.

tom;

How insane is it out there? With a "1" being death valley in august and a "10" being Glamis on new years eve?

I want to get the boys out there, but they don't have the best habits for dodging quads and speeding bikes.

tom;

How insane is it out there? With a "1" being death valley in august and a "10" being Glamis on new years eve?

I want to get the boys out there, but they don't have the best habits for dodging quads and speeding bikes.

I'd say that it's about a 2 or 3 where I camp, and maybe a 5-6 if you camp near the base of the mountain. I used to camp closer to the mountain/dunes, but I really like my sleep at night and prefer a bit of room so we stay a few miles away and ride there when we want to play in the dunes.

Come on out and join us for a day!

tom;

I'd say that it's about a 2 or 3 where I camp, and maybe a 5-6 if you camp near the base of the mountain. I used to camp closer to the mountain/dunes, but I really like my sleep at night and prefer a bit of room so we stay a few miles away and ride there when we want to play in the dunes.

Come on out and join us for a day!

I'll see if the boys want to camp out saturday night, and we can ride Sunday...

I'll know more as we get closer. Thanks for the invite...

Bob

i agree with tnt i camp by the berm track at 4.5 miles or between 5.0 and 5.5 and its always fine with no problems . most rowdies stay near the 6.0 or right at the base of the sand. if you really want noone around stay at 3.0 and you will have a square mile all to yourself..

look no caps at all ....getting better. :lol:

Too bad it's so far from my house (135 miles) :lol: or I'd drive out and join you guys.

I checked Yahoo weather and the forecast was for rain Wednesday and Thursday, even in the desert. Should make for nice riding conditions out there.

Have a fun time. :lol:

Myself, the wifey and at least 1 of my boys are heading out to superstition friday morning. My wife rides a hopped up ex 400 and is hoping other girls will be riding. Staying till sunday. steve @ 760-420-3180 or 949-285-6740 PS...38 ft fth wheel, holiday rambler nextlevel and white 4 door ford 4x4 , SDAR sticker on back of trlr.

My wife and daughter ride, as does our friend so there are at least three female riders in the group.

I forgot that my cell phone works out there, my number is in the member contact info or you can PM me for it.

My family has done Thanksgiving in the desert for the past several years, and this year is no exception. We'll probably head out Wednesday afternoon, but may be on the road Thursday morning and head home Sunday around noon.

We'll be at the Superstition OHV, on the dry lake bed on the left (west) side of Wheeler Road at about mile marker 3.5 or so and a few hundred yards off the road. If anyone is going to be out there, swing on by and say hi. Hopefully my turkey turns out good!

I'll be at Ocotillo and will more than likely do my usual run to superstition. If I do I'll come look for ya. Give me something to do!!!

UPDATE: About 6 miles in on Wheeler, look left. About 1/4 mile west of the faded orange metal sign (set back off the road)

I will be out there as well...we are leaving this afternoon and staying until sunday...ill keep an eye out for you all

Myself, the wifey and at least 1 of my boys are heading out to superstition friday morning. My wife rides a hopped up ex 400 and is hoping other girls will be riding. Staying till sunday. steve @ 760-420-3180 or 949-285-6740 PS...38 ft fth wheel, holiday rambler nextlevel and white 4 door ford 4x4 , SDAR sticker on back of trlr.

UPDATE!!! We will be with EX-QB and family and a few riders that are lurkers in our club that have done club events with us. South down split mtn road all the way against the mtns turning left at the train trussel and going in east about 2 miles. This should put me west of superstition about 12 miles

UPDATE!!! We will be with EX-QB and family and a few riders that are lurkers in our club that have done club events with us. South down split mtn road all the way against the mtns turning left at the train trussel and going in east about 2 miles. This should put me west of superstition about 12 miles

On Garmin's MapSource, it looks like you'll be set-up at the intersection of Old Mine Rd. and the tracks (FYI -Old Mine road (unpaved) connects with the 78 just west of the Blu Inn)

Have Fun!

Screen_View_Schwinn_T_day_Camp_Area.doc

On Garmin's MapSource, it looks like you'll be set-up at the intersection of Old Mine Rd. and the tracks (FYI -Old Mine road (unpaved) connects with the 78 just west of the Blu Inn)

Have Fun!

EX-QB just looked at your attach file and it looks good except the arrow should be on the north side of the tracks. I have never camped there.

EX-QB just looked at your attach file and it looks good except the arrow should be on the north side of the tracks. I have never camped there.

It is on the north side.....it's just zoomed out so far you can't tell.......stick with your plan of taking Split Mtn road since you'll be drivng/pulling the truck/toybox.......I only pointed out Old Mill Rd. so anyone riding over from Ocotillo Wells on a bike would know the direct route from the Blue Inn.......very easy to find you from Superstition.....head to the tracks and hang a right :rolleyes:

Have Fun!!