Sign in to follow this  
Jaynen

A pain of a bead

Well thanks to Ken(Joliet) and his stubborn determination and helpfulness I am now running the Motoz tires on my bike. We will see how long they last, I just need to get them dirty

We had a heck of a time with the stiffness of the rear tire then the front one would not set properly and we had to resort to WD40 and 95psi!!!

\We had a heck of a time with the stiffness of the rear tire then the front one would not set properly and we had to resort to WD40 and 95psi!!!

You keep that up and maybe you'll do your next write-up from the hospital.

Tubed tires do not need to have the bead set in place like a tubeless tire and even if they did 95psi is probably 150% over the maximum rated for the tire. When the tire is flat it can simply be messaged by hand to work the bead against the rim. I had to do it tonight with a stubborn front tire (Thanks again Aaron). Never do I put more than 25psi into my tires and the most I may have ever put into a motorcycle tire is 40psi. I am shaking my head in disgust right now.

I have never seen a tire this stuborn to seat before. I let the air out and re-lubed half a dozen times, I tried bouncing the wheel on the stuborn area, and bouncing and bouncing (that usually works for me), I even took a mallet to the sidewall, with both high and low pressure in it, no joy.

Being stumped, I checked out thumper talk and found this article.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthrea...light=bead+seat

In my wildest dreams, I have never considered going higher than 60 psi to seat a bead on a motorcycle tire, but after reading the above thread and running out of ideas, I put on the safety glasses and ear muffs, lubed both beads with WD-40 and put some serious pressure to it. Worked just like they said it would.

It is the first one that I have run across that I couldn't seat, and I hope the last. B) Ken

It's a good thing that what makes those tires so hard to mount also makes them flat resistant, because I sure would hate to have to do a trailside repair on one of those! :lol:

It's a good thing that what makes those tires so hard to mount also makes them flat resistant, because I sure would hate to have to do a trailside repair on one of those! :lol:

On a trailside repair, I would not even think twice about riding it with the bead not fully seated. I would just air up and go, it will probably seat on the trail anyway. :) Ken

\We had a heck of a time with the stiffness of the rear tire then the front one would not set properly and we had to resort to WD40 and 95psi!!!

You keep that up and maybe you'll do your next write-up from the hospital.

Tubed tires do not need to have the bead set in place like a tubeless tire and even if they did 95psi is probably 150% over the maximum rated for the tire. When the tire is flat it can simply be messaged by hand to work the bead against the rim. I had to do it tonight with a stubborn front tire (Thanks again Aaron). Never do I put more than 25psi into my tires and the most I may have ever put into a motorcycle tire is 40psi. I am shaking my head in disgust right now.

It was a last resort after many many attempts to do just that the problem was one part of the tire on both sides opposite the valve stem was "stuck" in the tire so the writing was down at the edge of the rim and it would'nt come out. We never went over 50 psi for probably the first 2 hours almost of messing with it. It was not until Ken found that thread on Thumpertalk that we found ear and eye protection and gave the WD40 and higher PSI a try.

Hammering

Pulling

Re-beading the whole tire

Massaging

Bouncing etc

We tried everything and the tire would not come out of the rim in that spot, it didn't help that it was cool and foggy last night but in those situations are you telling me the tire would have been safe and ridable even tho the tire was obviously uneven?

On a trailside repair, I would not even think twice about riding it with the bead not fully seated. I would just air up and go, it will probably seat on the trail anyway. :) Ken

Hi Ken

I once had a Pirelli that wouldn't seat on a Honda 23" rim. Decided to just drive it until it would seat but the bike shook and wabbled so badly I felt out of control at speed. I finally took it off and redid it with a heavy dose of a different brand of soap and it worked. I suspect it is just like buying jeans. They may all have the same size tag but each one you try on feels different some tighter some looser. Do you think the WD40 was the key?

Don

Well I guess you do what you gotta do. I hope I never have a tire with problems like that one.

Cheers

are you telling me the tire would have been safe and ridable even tho the tire was obviously uneven?

I would not hesitate to ride it like that to the next town I came to, that would have what I would need to seat the bead properly. If it was a trail ride, I would not go straight back to the truck, but finish the ride.

The inside of the rim was stippled (to serve as a rim lock) and was pretty agressive. I think this was the main reason the tire would not pop out. If it were mine, next time I changed a tire, I would be tempted to take a sander or a file after the stipple and use a regular rim lock, just to ease the installation of tires.

I think the WD-40 was slicker than the windex, but I think a tire lube would have been even better, but in the end I believe it was the 95 psi that did the trick. I don't recommend that kind of pressure, it went against what I believe to be safe shop practice, and could have been eligible for a Darwin award. Yesterday if you told me to put that much pressure in to seat the tire, I would have had a reply similar to HondaPilot's, but today is a new day, it was a learning experience. :lol: Ken

PB190089.jpg

Funny thing was the front tire started out SOO much easier than the rear was while Ken was showing me the proper steps.

Yeah I think that alligator tooth stuff on the inside of the rim was the culprit. I did not notice that stuff when we did the rear wheel even.

Also the motoZ tires are supposed to be unique in that they use high quality natural rubber which allows them to heat up and to flex more while still running higher psi's for flat prevention

That Thumpertalk thread is from the pitbike forum and talking about the little 14" tires which are gnerally rated for higher pressures than bigger tires.

When I've had a stubborn bead the centrifugal force of a few miles at 8-10 psi will get the tire nice and even in the rim. Ken is right again, when on the trail you ride it out and often this is what you have to do. Nobody's going to CO2 or hand pump a tire in place. How many CO2 canisters would it take to get that front tire to 60 or yesterdays 90psi? A little dust or baby powder helps to get the bead in place as well.

Yeah we had the baby powder in the tire and on the tube also. It's good to know that maybe it could have been ridden around to get it to seat.

are you telling me the tire would have been safe and ridable even tho the tire was obviously uneven?

I would not hesitate to ride it like that to the next town I came to, that would have what I would need to seat the bead properly. If it was a trail ride, I would not go straight back to the truck, but finish the ride.

The inside of the rim was stippled (to serve as a rim lock) and was pretty agressive. I think this was the main reason the tire would not pop out. If it were mine, next time I changed a tire, I would be tempted to take a sander or a file after the stipple and use a regular rim lock, just to ease the installation of tires.

I think the WD-40 was slicker than the windex, but I think a tire lube would have been even better, but in the end I believe it was the 95 psi that did the trick. I don't recommend that kind of pressure, it went against what I believe to be safe shop practice, and could have been eligible for a Darwin award. Yesterday if you told me to put that much pressure in to seat the tire, I would have had a reply similar to HondaPilot's, but today is a new day, it was a learning experience. :lol: Ken

PB190089.jpg

Cool looking Virago in the background of this photo.

Don