Well this is not long distance by any stretch of the imagination... but the 8-hour rally does mimic the format of some of it's big brothers. For those who like to line their calendars up early, the LowCal 250 has set a date of Saturday, April 25, 2009.

Though the daylight format is definitely novice friendly, last year it did not necessarily prove to be a slam-dunk for experienced riders. There were enough variety of bonuses and roads to keep it interesting for everyone. Novices, experienced riders and non-residents came in pretty evenly across the board.

You can explore 2008's Results and there's even a link at the end of the Rally Master's Report to download the Bonus Points and take a shot at planning your own winning route!

For an FJR riders perspective take a look at RenoJohn's LowCal 250 Report!

Last year's winning route:

2008boniiEd_small.jpg

This sounds like fun. I will try to make but i will have to wait till last min. My company is union based but i am management and i was told no vacations from April till Oct. So we have to wait and see what happens.

Is it a road rally or a dirt thing?

last year was street legal, but had some mild dirt bonuses if I remember correctly

After reviewing the links, it's a mostly street thing with graded dirt roads. BMW's with sidecars to Dakar, V-Stroms and dual sports.

Is it a road rally or a dirt thing?

It would be considered a Road Rally like the biennial multi-day Iron Butt Rally... but many a street bike have been destroyed on dirt and gravel roads on road rallies (Goose Bay, Purdue Bay) so it never hurts to do these on dual-sports. But being this a shorter rally, and predominantly for fun and charity, I wouldn't hesitate to ride it on anything I had running at the time.

Anyone on a street bike can stick to 100% pavement on this rally if they choose.

Ping-diddly for anyone needing a reminder to sign-up... :huh:

There is nothing to lose and everything to gain on this one. 100% of your entry goes to charity... this year I bill it as "Easy to Finish, Hard to Win"

Not dummied down... but no killer minimum requirements either... last year the experienced riders did it old-skool (no routing computers, help, etc.) but you are welcome to use S&T or whatnot.

Bring you bike full of petrol this year... the start will be from the same location as the meeting...

I highly recommend this ride to folks, the riders last year had a blast.

I will be helping Craig on the day of the event, and getting raffle prizes from the shops.

I will be bumping this as time gets closer.........

bump.

And yes, SDAR is helping with this event and our Logo is on the flyer.

I am signed up and will give this a try. I don't expect to do exceptionally well since I don't know the county very well compared to people that grew up here (or have a life and get out more often than me ;) ). I guess the main reason I didn't think about doing a ride like this before is that I like to ride with friends when I do get a chance to get out and ride. But I am looking forward to trying something new, and it is for a good cause. So if you are signed up, I will see you there (if I can find the place ;) ). Ken

I am signed up and will give this a try. I don't expect to do exceptionally well since...

That's what the pool sharks always say before the big money match... ;)

Just remember this one is all in fun... "easy to finish, hard to win"

Your support is appreciated as well if you can't ride. The entry has a place for straight donations. 100% deductible whether you ride or not.

I plan to donate and provide back county recovery as needed. :lol:

I plan to donate and provide back county recovery as needed. :good:

CoOl!! :bb:

I pre-ran one route yesterday and plan on another today. We are in premium riding weather people! What a county... making the rest of the country jealous as always... B)

I pre-ran one route yesterday and plan on another today. We are in premium riding weather people! What a county... making the rest of the country jealous as always... ;)

Caught in the act, courtesy of http://hwy94photo.com/

04-18-09-225.jpg

John you must get on there a lot!! ;)

I will be helping Craig (sandiegoland) out in the morning, helping set up and get odometer readings, etc. Then, after all the riders leave, I will head out and do some street riding to intersect at parts of the route, take some photos, etc. Then end up back at SDBMW to help with the odometer readings, etc. and raffle giveaway stuff for the riders.

If anyone wants to ride a few hours tomorrow, let me know. PM me or look up my contact info in the MO Forum.

Huge thanks to the club for the support! We bested our donation figures from last year. Special thanks to those who donated and/or rode, and especially to two on duty for the day: KTMrad (tech inspection) and Carguy (back-country recovery crew).

Joliet set some kind of LowCal 250 record... most miles ridden... 419 miles. Hey Ken, it's the LowCal 250, not the Indy 500!! :lol:

N2TM did extremely well for piecing together his first rally route, finishing #6 out of 27 bikes starting on his 2009 BMW F650GS. I would like to say it's brand new but he's cranked out quite a few miles already... still looks new though!

NR552 (not registered here yet, but a local ADVrider and SDAR fan) placed 3rd (#4 as there was a tie for 2nd).

p4190021e.JPG

We'd also like to thank the following shops and businesses for various SWAG and merchandise donations........

Lasting Impressions Printing Santee, 619-449-5776.....for donating about 200 LowCal 250 stickers.

Clairemont Cycle Supply - San Diego 858-571-5531

Moto Forza - Escondido 760-746-6001

San Diego House of Motorcycles 619-229-7700

And SDAR.....$$ donation to the charity, and also since the raffle giveaways were very light, SDAR purchased some small items to throw into the raffle for the riders.

...and SDAR.....$$ donation to the charity, and also since the raffle giveaways were very light, SDAR purchased some small items to throw into the raffle for the riders.

Thanks Randy... hey did you get to ride anywhere interesting that day? A few people got snapped on hwy94photo.com I saw... <_<

:wacko:<_< Craig, no.......I went home and made the mistake of laying down for a minute.....turned into a couple of hours. Then had some things to do, and then was too late to get out on the road before having to be back at the shop by 3:30ish, so I didn't go out on the bike that day.